Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Turns out I had the wrong version of the cover loaded; when I got the right version, it brought the size way down into something more normal.

775,000 words? that's the size of 7 normal books - that's huge!
Yeah, should have to PAY readers to read that!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Andy Farman
Connoisseur
Andy Farman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Actually I was talking about the delivery fee that amazon charges on ebooks... has nothing to do with create space.
I stand corrected

Last edited by Andy Farman; 06-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Andy Farman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think it's time for a reality check about page length and word count.

I've quoted from two different sources. The first one works with 350 words per page:

"At about 350 per page, you would have 175,000 words in a 500 page book.

A 90,440 page book would equal about 258 pages.
However, the amount of words per page can vary quite a bit. With small type, a log more words. With a lot of dialogue, less words than straight text.
If you are writing with Word the is a word counting took. Just the Tools menu at the top then Word Count. If you want to count the words in a section, you can select it, then click on Word Count."

And this one, based upon 250 words per page:

"Word count: based on 25 lines per page in Courier New 12 pt. averages
approximately 250 words per page. 20 pages, an average chapter,
=25,000; 200 pages=50,000; 400 pages=100,000; 600 pages=150,000;
800=200,000 words. Most books are between 50 and 100,000 words long.
Publishers estimate by pages, including the white space. A computer
count of 50,000 words may be 65,000 in publishers' terms. If you use a
computer word count note it on the front of the ms."

A 500-page novel does not equate to 775,000 words. I suggest the poster meant 175,000 words.

A 775,000 word count would, using 300 words per page, equate to 2,583 pages.

I seriously doubt that the poster wrote a 2,583-page work, unless of course it was divided into numerous books, which is not mentioned or stated at all.

(Also, keep in mind, that a page count on Amazon is usually doubled. For example, an advertised book of 2,583 pages in length would show on Amazon to be about 5,166 pages.)

However, let me be the first to state that I've been wrong before, and I could be wrong here.

One may also wish to visit this Wiki page on the "List of Longest Novels," located here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_novels

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-17-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Andy Farman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think it's time for a reality check about page length and word count.

I've quoted from two different sources. The first one works with 350 words per page:

"At about 350 per page, you would have 175,000 words in a 500 page book.

A 90,440 page book would equal about 258 pages.
However, the amount of words per page can vary quite a bit. With small type, a log more words. With a lot of dialogue, less words than straight text.
If you are writing with Word the is a word counting took. Just the Tools menu at the top then Word Count. If you want to count the words in a section, you can select it, then click on Word Count."

Don
I take my word count from what Word tells me it is, along with the page count. Whether it is on Kindle or not will obviously not effect the total word count.
I have a page open from my word document, Times New Roman, font size 12, single spacing and I do a physical count and arrive at 655 words for that page. But, I tap the word count screen and it resets to 160,063 for the entire document. Tap the page count window and the word count reverts to what Dr Drib has pointed out is an obviously incorrect count.

I am sure if I was forty years younger the reason for this word be apparent, but I'm not.
Any IT savvy seventeen year old out there who can explain this?

Last edited by Andy Farman; 06-19-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 06-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you for your explanation.

My avatar name is 'Dr. Drib,' by the way, which you have twice mistyped, once in this thread and another time in your own thread in the Self-promotion forum. Sometimes, keys can be a little sticky.

Most members - to include yourself, I would think - take care and attention to find just that right combination to capture one's personality and/or self-promotional desire.

Thank you.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Andy Farman
Connoisseur

Senior moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thank you for your explanation.

My avatar name is 'Dr. Drib,' by the way, which you have twice mistyped, once in this thread and another time in your own thread in the Self-promotion forum. Sometimes, keys can be a little sticky.

Most members - to include yourself, I would think - take care and attention to find just that right combination to capture one's personality and/or self-promotional desire.

Thank you.

Don
Apology's Dr Drib,

Atrophying grey matter and all that.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #22
Andy Farman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Turns out I had the wrong version of the cover loaded; when I got the right version, it brought the size way down into something more normal.

775,000 words? that's the size of 7 normal books - that's huge!
Huge and in error. It seems that I have Word 2010 WITH the dyslexia App.
On my wife's Word 2007 it is 188, 096 on 511 pages.

Thanks due to Dr Drib for spotting what I had just taken for granted. Like a complacent pilot flying on instruments I had disregarded the tree tops whipping by in my peripheral vision, assuming them to be the product of altitude sickness
Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #23
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
That's still a pretty hefty volume! congratulations for writing so much. I seem to top out at around 3500 words! (which is long for a fairy story.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #24
Andy Farman
Connoisseur

Quote:
That's still a pretty hefty volume! congratulations for writing so much. I seem to top out at around 3500 words! (which is long for a fairy story.)
Too big to be affordable in print though, and loathe though I am to split the volumes into a total of six parts I may have to. No point having them in print if no one can buy them, right?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I understand that serials are all the rage now - you could split this into 4 volumes and sell each separately, plus offer the whole as one big collection.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #26
Andy Farman
Connoisseur

Quote:
I understand that serials are all the rage now - you could split this into 4 volumes and sell each separately, plus offer the whole as one big collection.
A little tricky as it is branded as the Armageddon's Song Trilogy.
I will split both completed volumes tonight and upload each in two parts to CreateSpace. I also have -18's abridged versions but the kindle sales of those are a fraction of the originals. I only produced those to accommodate two readers who bought the originals for their sons without properly reading the intro's, and asked for refunds. Good of them to take the time to message me on FB though.