Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Amazon offered Kindle editions of the first two books in the series for free -- which I "purchased" on 6 June. This was a promotion in advance of releasing the 6th book in the series. I have since purchased Kindle editions of #3 and #4, but I'm stymied because #5 is not available for the Kindle.

I wrote directly to Ms. Spencer-Fleming and she replied with the e-mail address of a contact at St. Martin's Press. I promptly wrote to this contact and have not received a reply.

Now, I find it easier to forgive TOR for giving us book #1 in lots of series with *none* of the follow-on books available. I can't figure out why in the world St. Martin has chosen to release 1-4 and 6 but not #5. Makes no sense at all.

Reverend Clare Fergusson series:
1. In the Bleak Midwinter (2002)
2. A Fountain Filled with Blood (2003)
3. Out of the Deep I Cry (2004)
4. To Darkness and to Death (2005)
5. All Mortal Flesh (2006)
6. I Shall Not Want (2008)
You do know Kindle has them all now, right Elsi?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ki...+Flesh&x=0&y=0
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #32
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Now, I find it easier to forgive TOR for giving us book #1 in lots of series with *none* of the follow-on books available. I can't figure out why in the world St. Martin has chosen to release 1-4 and 6 but not #5. Makes no sense at all.
I'll be interested in hearing what St. Martins has to say, if they ever get back to you. That is truely odd. Best case, they do plan to release #5, and it just hasn't wended its way through the ebook production process yet. (One thing I'm curious about is who actually prepares the Kindle versions Amazon offers. My guess is Amazon, not the original publisher.)

I don't see anything to "forgive" in Tor's offer. They stated that the freebie ebooks were promotion for the new Tor.com site. They never said they were anything else, or that they indicated any future direction Tor planned to take in ebooks. I agree that it would have been splendid if Tor actually had the remaining books in ebook form for series they offered the first of in the promotion. But I wasn't angry about it. I can't justify getting angry about not getting something the other party never committed to supply in the first place.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #33
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Amazon offered Kindle editions of the first two books in the series for free -- which I "purchased" on 6 June. This was a promotion in advance of releasing the 6th book in the series. I have since purchased Kindle editions of #3 and #4, but I'm stymied because #5 is not available for the Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

All RIGHT! They finally filled in the gap. I'll be sure to buy it to reward them for following through. (I also clicked the "I want this book on my Kindle" link on the page for the paper book.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
(One thing I'm curious about is who actually prepares the Kindle versions Amazon offers. My guess is Amazon, not the original publisher.)
Me too. These particular books are in the infamous "Topaz" format and are full of eggregious errors. I'll take some screen captures to show you what I mean. I plan to send some feedback to Amazon's Kindle support to indicate that these books have such poor production quality. Since I did enjoy the stories, I'm not going to clamor for my money back, but I would appreciate getting an updated & improved copy.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Me too. These particular books are in the infamous "Topaz" format and are full of eggregious errors. I'll take some screen captures to show you what I mean. I plan to send some feedback to Amazon's Kindle support to indicate that these books have such poor production quality. Since I did enjoy the stories, I'm not going to clamor for my money back, but I would appreciate getting an updated & improved copy.
Sounds like an automated conversion from poor source. I'd like to know what they started with.

For the most part, I've been pleased with ebooks I've seen from commercial sources. I did see one amusing bit, in a book from the Baen Free Library, that had things like author's notes to himself still in the text. A query revealed that this ebook had been generated from an Advance Reading Copy (uncorrected galley proofs) in order to get it out in time for inclusion on a CD to be bound into the hardcover.

I wasn't unhappy at all. The oddities didn't really affect the readability of the ebook, and the glimpses into the writing process were fun. But it stuck out by example: normally, Baen's ebook production is first rate.

It's a reason why I'm hoping ePub succeeds as a standard format. Not for the end user, necessarily, but for the publisher. ePub contains all of the elements needed for an ebook, and should be a good base from which to convert to whatever format the end user will actually read. And it should be possible to automate that conversion, so that once a good quality ePub version exists, the rest can happen automatically.
______
Dennis
Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #35
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Am I really dumb, or did other people have difficulty with the online copy of Rainbow's End ? There were a number of links, but no text.

I'd be willing to buy the book, but where?

Point of Clarification: When I do find a book that I want besides Connect.com or the marvelous collexion here at Mobile Read, what's the best format for the PRS-500?

Last edited by Cthulhu; 08-30-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: I'm not real bright
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #36
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Am I really dumb, or did other people have difficulty with the online copy of Rainbow's End ? There were a number of links, but no text.

I'd be willing to buy the book, but where?
Vernor seems to have taken the electronic version down.

PM me with an email address.
______
Dennis
Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

More eBook nonsense. All the other eBook shops that have her eBooks only have two of them. This is a total farce. It's enough to make me want to tell people who ask what to buy for an electronic book reader to say nothing at all and just stick to paper books. We are getting shafted. Why is it we cannot have complete series in formats we want?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote