Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 03:04 AM   #1
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Exclamation How to move database from Kobo Aura One to Kobo Forma

Hi there, I bought my Kobo Aura One two years ago, and it works so far so good, and I bought the new released Kobo Forma about one week ago.

I read a lots of ebooks on Kobo Aura One, the data of my books is all on Kobo Aura One, and my new Kobo Forma is empty.

After I login into my account which I'm using on Kobo Aura One on Kobo Forma and sync, the reading hours, count of read books, and awards are all gone, why is that?

The most important thing is, because of some reason, the Kobo Store is unavailable in my country, so all my books are sideloaded onto Kobo Aura One using Calibre, I organize of my books using Calibre (manage metadata, sync reading progress, send books to Kobo device) , and I got a lot of reading data on old Kobo Aura One which including
1. reading status (percentage of reading progress)
2. Activity (reading hours, count of read, and awards)
3. Highlight, bookmarks and Annotation of each book

I tried two ways:
1. Use Calibre to resend all my books into the new Kobo Forma, but it seems all the reading data I listed will be lost
2. Connect both Kobo Aura One and Kobo Forma my my computer, copy the KoboReader.sqlite file of my Kobo Aura One to Kobo Forma directory,and copy all the books on Kobo Aura One to Kobo Forma directly, but after this Kobo Forma will pop up a window "Critical Error: any highlights, notes, or reading progress since your last sync on xx/xx/xxxx will be lost" and once connect my Kobo Forma to Calibre, Calibre cannot recognize the files both in Calibre and in Kobo Forma, and I cannot sync reading progress anymore.

I have read links about database:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284709
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=254512
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=274637

So for users that own multiple Kobo models, how do you manage the reading data from old model to new model?

Last edited by codychan; 11-07-2018 at 03:39 AM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
Hi there, I bought my Kobo Aura One two years ago, and it works so far so good, and I bought the new released Kobo Forma about one week ago.

I read a lots of ebooks on Kobo Aura One, the data of my books is all on Kobo Aura One, and my new Kobo Forma is empty.

After I login into my account which I'm using on Kobo Aura One on Kobo Forma and sync, the reading hours, count of read books, and awards are all gone, why is that?

The most important thing is, because of some reason, the Kobo Store is unavailable in my country, so all my books are sideloaded onto Kobo Aura One using Calibre, I organize of my books using Calibre (manage metadata, sync reading progress, send books to Kobo device) , and I got a lot of reading data on old Kobo Aura One which including
1. reading status (percentage of reading progress)
2. Activity (reading hours, count of read, and awards)
3. Highlight, bookmarks and Annotation of each book
Kobo doesn't sync any details about the sideloaded books. That's by design.
Quote:
I tried two ways:
1. Use Calibre to resend all my books into the new Kobo Forma, but it seems all the reading data I listed will be lost
You can use my Kobo utilities to get the reading status from the old device and then restore it to the new device. But, it cannot restore the stats such as time spent reading.
Quote:
2. Connect both Kobo Aura One and Kobo Forma my my computer, copy the KoboReader.sqlite file of my Kobo Aura One to Kobo Forma directory,and copy all the books on Kobo Aura One to Kobo Forma directly, but after this Kobo Forma will pop up a window "Critical Error: any highlights, notes, or reading progress since your last sync on xx/xx/xxxx will be lost" and once connect my Kobo Forma to Calibre, Calibre cannot recognize the files both in Calibre and in Kobo Forma, and I cannot sync reading progress anymore.

I have read links about database:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284709
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=254512
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=274637

So for users that own multiple Kobo models, how do you manage the reading data from old model to new model?
I use the above mentioned plugin for this. But, I don't tend to put the finished books on the new device. And my annotations are mainly for fixing errors, so they don't last long.

The posts you pointed to have what has worked for others. Restoring the database with all the books in place has worked for some people. Extracting the contents of the user table from the new device and restoring that to the database from the old device has worked as well. But, there might be more checking in recent that prevents this from working. I haven't seen a report about this for a while.

It might help to also copy the config file. I can't think of anything in it that would affect these devices.

One thing that is important is that the books are all in the same place with the same names and sizes. If the are missing, the device will clean up and reimport the books.

Another thing to try is to shut the device down as quickly as possible. After you restore the database and eject the device. This is to prevent the device from trying to use the database and comparing it to what is in memory.

Another way to do this would be to build a KoboRoot.tgz with the database and any other necessary files in it. Put that on the device and disconnect. That would automate copying the files to the right place and restarting the device. I haven't tried this, but it might work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, database corrupted, database management, database restore