Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2019, 05:20 AM   #646
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
My first eReader was the Sony PRS-505. I had it modified to show a clock on the bottom of the screen, and a few other modifications as well. As far as build quality is concerned, nothing beats the PRS-505. Screen quality... well, that's another story. The PRS-505 is a relic. Old technology. The screen/refresh rate does not come close to today's e-ink displays.

Sony really fell off a cliff when they switched to Android from Linux on their eReaders. The PRS-T1 is terrible in that regard. Before the switch, the Linux OS they used felt solid, much like the Linux OS found on Kobo's readers.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:12 AM   #647
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
My first reader was the original Nook. It was chunky, but still nice to hold ... without a case. I've always preferred sleeves.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #648
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The other thing I don't like about hardcover/trade is that they don't fit in the bookcase.
That's what hardcovers are for ... looking pretty sitting in the bookcase.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:02 AM   #649
browncoat
browncoat began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With a sleep case, you won't need to press the power button all that much. I hardly use the power button on my H2O. I just close the case and open it to wake up the H2O. I only really use the power button if I want to turn off the H2O which is no all that often.
That's a good point! But… I've yet to find a case that doesn't get in the way when I read in bed
browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #650
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I don't trust sleep cases especially while traveling with them in a bag, several times with my Glo HD and others I opened them to find I was on a random page with half the battery gone because it had woken up in the bag or just in bed overnight, that feature gets turned off on day 1.
Thargor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #651
browncoat
browncoat began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kobo Forma
I've actually been thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to build a really sturdy "travel case" for an ereader. Never owned one this expensive before… ^^"
browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #652
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
I've actually been thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to build a really sturdy "travel case" for an ereader. Never owned one this expensive before… ^^"
Pelican.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #653
FrustratedReader
Ancient Sceptic
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
I have a reinforced "Caselogic" zip case for a 7" tablet for my Kobo Libra. Also I use a zip A4+ size writing case for my 10" Win10 tablet + keyboard + charger + cable + mouse. Both or either can fit in my laptop bag with the laptop too. Though I'm nervy about taking even the laptop out alone. I do a backup first!

I never ever have a password book or a backup drive in the laptop bag.
I have a server, 2 x USB HDDs (one is full size sata in a box), a USB memory stick and a home server. I backup important stuff on ALL of those. I also have two other full size SATA drives for archival backup and a special secret place only via SFTP and extra passwords on my hosting.
The others in the house do their own backups to the server and also their own backups to their own personal storage.
All purchased content from the Internet is downloaded & backed up explicitly, no reliance on Vendor so called "Cloud" or so called "whispernet".
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #654
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
That's a good point! But… I've yet to find a case that doesn't get in the way when I read in bed
I use a very slim case, this one in fact: Ratesell Premium Folio Smart-Shell

It's never felt in the way as it is barely larger than the reader itself and the front cover folds all the way back when reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
I don't trust sleep cases especially while traveling with them in a bag, several times with my Glo HD and others I opened them to find I was on a random page with half the battery gone because it had woken up in the bag or just in bed overnight, that feature gets turned off on day 1.
I've never had that happen in years of ereading on two different Kobos with quite a bit of travel. I keep mine in a Timbuk2 messenger bag rather than, say, a duffel bag. Maybe that helps.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #655
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've never had that happen in years of ereading on two different Kobos with quite a bit of travel. I keep mine in a Timbuk2 messenger bag rather than, say, a duffel bag. Maybe that helps.
Neither did I. I've had them falling off the bed, but they fell shut. In dozens of different handbags and this whole summer in a rucksack - shut.

The only thing about my reader not shutting up is me. I prattle on and on how much I love it
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote