Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-06-2020, 04:40 AM   #1
7dau253mrwry4spf
Banned
7dau253mrwry4spf began at the beginning.

Device: none
TOC from epub to kepub

When converting a book from epub to kepub calibre deletes
almost all CSS instructions that define the typographic aspect of
the inline table of contents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	479
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	179745

(to the left the epub, to the right the same book after a conversion to kepub)

Why is this happening?

Is it possible to disable this behavior?
7dau253mrwry4spf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you realize that you can delete that ToC as you don't need it You have the NCX ToC that works and it much easier to get to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
7dau253mrwry4spf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you realize that you can delete that ToC as you don't need it You have the NCX ToC that works and it much easier to get to.
Every <ul> is affected by that problem, not just those in the toc.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7dau253mrwry4spf View Post
Every <ul> is affected by that problem, not just those in the toc.
Edit the CSSa and fix the <UL>.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
7dau253mrwry4spf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Edit the CSSa and fix the <UL>.
It seems to me that what I wrote in the first post is not so difficult to understand, there are also the figures. But it doesn't matter. I will no longer read your posts.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It seems to me that what I wrote in the first post is not so difficult to understand, there are also the figures. But it doesn't matter. I will no longer read your posts.
Firstly, you only mentioned the ToC page in the first post. You don't mention that there are other lists in the book with a similar issue later. Jon has bee in his bonnet about in-line ToCs. He thinks they should be removed. Personally, I think he is wrong and just ignore him when he mentions it. And he shouldn't have here as that is not the real question.

But, he is probably right in his second post. There is an issue with the styles on the UL or the LI tags that hasn't passed through the conversion properly. It could be an inheritance issue as the kepub adds two div's around the text. I have seen that break some styles. You can either fix it before the conversion or afterwards. I do it before the conversion.

Thinking about that, I did some test conversions of a book with a list. I started with an epub and did a conversion to both kepub and to epub. In both cases, there were changes that meant that the list didn't look the same after the conversion. But, both converted books look the same. That suggests the issue is in the base conversion, not the kepub part.

To make any more suggestions, we'd need to see the book. Or a sample that shows the problem.

Otherwise, if you used the KoboTouchExtended driver to transform the epub to kepub during the send to book, you probably wouldn't see a problem. Unless there is an issue with the inheritance in the styles.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
7dau253mrwry4spf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Otherwise, if you used the KoboTouchExtended driver to transform the epub to kepub during the send to book...
How can I set Calibre so that the conversion is made by KoboTouchExtended instead of the calibre converter?
Old 06-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
How can I set Calibre so that the conversion is made by KoboTouchExtended instead of the calibre converter?
That is not a converter PI. That is a DEVICE PI

KePub Output just stores the book IN the Library (the other do the stuff on the fly)

IMHO neither will fix BAD code or correct for known device limitations (and there are those in some cases)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is not a converter PI. That is a DEVICE PI

KePub Output just stores the book IN the Library (the other do the stuff on the fly)

IMHO neither will fix BAD code or correct for known device limitations (and there are those in some cases)
All that. And...

The extended driver does the work when you send the book to a Kobo device. But, it doesn't use the full calibre conversion pipeline (which is why I said "transform") and doesn't store the result in library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What you could do is try the program kepubify to see how that works with your ToC. It runs outside of Calibre.

Here is the thread on kepubfy. Have a try and see what happens.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=326652