Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
WordNet 3 Dictionary for Kindle

I had a problem with using this as my Kindle default dictionary. It did not seem smart enough to give me word definitions if I cursored over either a plural (eg. one with an 's') or it had a " mark before it.

The stock-standard K3 and K3 dictionaries seem to handle these fine.

Anyway, I reported this to Amazon CS and they refunded me ok.

Anyone else having a problen with this dictionary? It could be that I just got a bad dowload or that there is a better version out there. Overall, it looked good.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
It's highly unlikely the problem was caused by a bad download. If the dictionary does not recognise plurals, or it can't deal with "close matches", that's a factor in the way it's been constructed. No amount of re-downloading will fix it.

Have you tried telling the publishers of your concerns, and asking them to make some improvements?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Good Idea Mike. I'll drop them a note.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
ebinans
eblv
ebinans began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Free WordNet 3 dictionary

I had the same problem with that dictionary so I made my own version of WordNet 3 dictionary. I used Ispell spellchecking dictionary for inflection indexing.

1) Its is less verbose than that mentioned;
2) Its absoluteley free;
3) It has indexed inflections;

Give it a try:
http://eb.lv/dict/#ez
ebinans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
If it is the same WordNet dictionary found and used free on the net,
I think it is pretty amazing little thing. There is another option for it's
usage. Kindle might install only client. Good one is called "dict". I have
it on my old nokia 770. No db itself. From command line I choose dictio-
nary I like, in this instance "wn". You guess, internet connection is
what it takes. My best bet is that "hacks" may help.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Anaksulnamun
Anaksulnamun began at the beginning.

Device: E90
It's good my friend...
I'm giving it a try
Cheeeeeeeeeer
Anaksulnamun is offline   Reply With Quote