Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
sophiek
sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Bookmarking with Kobo?

I have been following the new ereaders for awhile now and finally broke down and Bought a Kobo, mostly because of the price point . I love its size and its feel but still prefer 'real' books and will probably only use this for travel (no more carrying 10 lbs of books in my suitcase). I know I have given up features such as the dictionary and highlighting by going with the Kobo but was surprised to find that as I read there is no way to know how far into a book I am and how much I have left. It will tell me how many chapters there are and how many pages in the chapter I am reading (which will obviously change depending on the font), but I can't seem to find out where I am relative to the entire book. (It would be nice to know if I have a half hour left to read or 3 hours to finish a book). In the same 'thread', if I want to go back and check something I have previously read, there doesn't seem to be a way to bookmark to go back to a specific page.

Am I correct on these points and do any of you techies anticipate any changes to the software to ever allow this, or is this just a limitation given the price point? My husband was so taken with my Kobo, he wanted to purchase one but I want to wait because I may end up going with the Kindle and give him the Kobo. I much prefer the look and feel of the Kobo, and read primarily fiction so I would not use it for anything advanced beyond what I have described (I am in a few book clubs and like to refer back to specific passages). Also I would like to eventually download newspapers and magazines. Is the Kindle or the Kobo better for this?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
sophiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have only read one book on my kobo but it has always displayed the number of pages in the book, not the chapters. Page numbers stay the same and only change when I've pushed the button enough times to equal that of a page. ie. if I am reading in the smallest font one page is the equivalent of one button push. If I am reading in the largest font one page is equal to three button pushes.
Bookmarking is very very unfortunate. I haven't found a way to bookmark a page and I am sorely disappointed by that. I hope that is something they can add with a firmware upgrade but I really don't know.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
sophiek
sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I must be doing something wrong. I have tried with a purchased book and with a preloaded freebie and neither gives me a total page count. For example, Madame Bovary Chapter 1 has anywhere from 24 to 65 pages depending on the size of font I select, and the total page count for the book is nowhere to be found. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
sophiek

I am making progress. I installed ADE ( I am not at all tech savvy so I don't really know why it makes a difference) and now I can see page counts. I had origianlly just downloaded from the kobo website. Now the problem I have is that I can't change the font size on the ADA downloaded version (I can on the kobo download). Now what?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've never had anything but the total number of pages in the book and the page I'm on show, no indication of number of pages until the end of the chapter. None of my books are from Kobo and I run most of them through Calibre.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiek View Post
I am making progress. I installed ADE ( I am not at all tech savvy so I don't really know why it makes a difference) and now I can see page counts. I had origianlly just downloaded from the kobo website. Now the problem I have is that I can't change the font size on the ADA downloaded version (I can on the kobo download). Now what?
ADE allows you to load pdf's on your Kobo, and the only way, until a future software update, to increase the font size is to "zoom" it: press display and chose the percentage that fits your needs. Now if because of the zoom you can't see the entire lenght of the text size, you can select the landscape orientation in the display menu.

For the page numbers on Kobo e-pubs, I'm at a lost too, and stuck with the chapter page numbers.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I'm beginning to suspect that when you download into your Kobo directly from the Kobo store, you are not getting an epub file, but rather something in Adobe Mobile Reader Technology. If you download the epub file through the Adobe Desktop Editions, you have a real epub file. I'm guessing that the ARMT reader only gives chapter counts - remember how Shortcovers allowed you to read a chapter at a time? If you have an epub file, the Kobo uses the standard ADE reader like all the other ereaders. I'm not sure of this, and I'm not quite sure how to verify outside of a Kobo person confirming it, but I'm getting pretty suspicious...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
ava0775
ava0775 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I'm beginning to suspect that when you download into your Kobo directly from the Kobo store, you are not getting an epub file, but rather something in Adobe Mobile Reader Technology. If you download the epub file through the Adobe Desktop Editions, you have a real epub file. I'm guessing that the ARMT reader only gives chapter counts - remember how Shortcovers allowed you to read a chapter at a time? If you have an epub file, the Kobo uses the standard ADE reader like all the other ereaders. I'm not sure of this, and I'm not quite sure how to verify outside of a Kobo person confirming it, but I'm getting pretty suspicious...
I have the same suspicions. I've had a Kobo book though my iPod app for a month or two. Not knowing what I was really doing, I downloaded the epub file to my Kobo eReader. The two files won't sync up at all - meaning I can't read on one device then continue reading in the same spot on the other. ADE shows I have two versions of the book on my reader but I can't seem to find the other file on the reader. The version on my reader right now only shows chapter page counts.

I like to read one book at a time but when it's time for my next book, I will just download the mobile version and see what happens.
ava0775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
I've purchased books from Kobo, put them into ADE and uploaded them to the Kobo, and it only gives me which page I'm on out of the chapter as well.

When I open up the desktop app, the books I've purchased have shown up there as well but the only way to get them onto the device seemed to be by ADE...not sure if I'm doing something wrong there or not though.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyScribe View Post
When I open up the desktop app, the books I've purchased have shown up there as well but the only way to get them onto the device seemed to be by ADE...not sure if I'm doing something wrong there or not though.
No, that's how it works. This is the small price we pay for not having WiFi or 3G. I just wish the instructions from Kobo made this clear.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiek View Post
I must be doing something wrong. I have tried with a purchased book and with a preloaded freebie and neither gives me a total page count. For example, Madame Bovary Chapter 1 has anywhere from 24 to 65 pages depending on the size of font I select, and the total page count for the book is nowhere to be found. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
I just looked at the one book I have purchased from Kobo and it only displays Chapter number not total page number. Yet another strike against buying from the Kobo site. I really really want to support them but they are not making it easy.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I think it depends on the formatting of the book. An ePub file with hyperlinked table of contents will show total page count. I suspect books downloaded from the Kobo store (not as separate ePub files) are separated into separate files for each chapter... perhaps to facilitate faster initial loading when you change to a different book? (At the expense of a small delay between loading chapters, I guess.)
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
The books you get from the Kobo desktop app aren't ePubs, the books are loaded directly into the Kobo's onboard database (you can also get the ePub from a link in the confirmation email). With these you will get the page counts per chapter and the page counts changing as the font sizes change.

Books you get from kobobooks.com however are ePubs and require ADE to load them onto the Kobo. These will show the chapter number and a page may or may not equal one 'kobo page', depending on formatting.
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Uhhh... books from the Kobo desktop app ARE books from kobobooks.com are they not?

I think you're talking about using the "Download ePub" links on the website and ADE vs. using the desktop app.
BOTH are from kobobooks.com tho
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
I meant using the desktop app as the entry point to getting your books vs browsing to kobobooks.com. The website gives you an ePub, the desktop app injects the book right into the db (no epub). There are formatting and book cover differences between each method - I prefer the desktop app for the kobo-specific formatting but I still grab the ePub because I'm paranoid
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote