Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
netarc
netarc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Protected Page EPUB v. PDF bug

Having run into the "protected page" issue shortly after receiving the Sony eReader (upon checking out books from my local library via overdrive), I read up on the problem to find folk complaining about the reader being unable to view DRM'd EPUB & PDF files at the same time ... apparently only the last format transferred of either of these can be viewed, the other format displaying the dreaded error.

e.g., if the last book I transfer to the reader is EPUB, then I can read EPUB formats, but not the PDFs; if I then re-checkout a PDF, then all the PDF's become accessible, while EPUBs are now not.

Chatted with Sony support last night, and they pointed me to this tech note:
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1008686

I'm blown away that Sony's official response is to "delete all and only use one format" ... seriously?!? You can have one, or the other, but not both types of files on the device at any one time?? ... pathetic.

I'm loathe to resort to stripping DRM from these books, but if Sony doesn't resolve this bug, what choice do people have?!?

Has anyone found any other alternatives?

---
A Protected Page! error occurs on the Reader when opening a borrowed book that is in the ePub or PDF format.

Solution
This may happen when borrowed Adobe DRM-protected ePub and PDF eBooks exist on the Reader at the same time. Follow this procedure to correct this issue:

1. Delete all borrowed books from the Reader.
2. Verify that all borrowed books are in the same format (either ePub or PDF) before transferring them back to the Reader.
netarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It only applies to library books; is it really a problem for you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
You can get round it by only checking out either .epubs or .pdfs which is a bit of a pain but I find this easier by making extensive use of my overdrive library wishlist which shows which format books are in. I build up a long wishlist of books I want to read and then make sure I choose either 2 epubs or 2 pdfs at a time (my 3rd choice is always an audiobook) so there are no conflicts.

I don't think there is much you can do about it just a known bug unfortunately.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Why would it only apply to library books?

and a follow up, is this really a Sony issue or an Adobe DRM issue. In other words does the same thing happen with say an Astak Pocket Pro?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Presumably it's something to do with the "time limited" DRM system which library books use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird. I've never run into it, but I avoid PDF like the plague. Thanks Harry.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
netarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely! imho, the ability to checkout books from one's public library is one of the biggest reasons to choose the eReader over, say, a Kindle. Having that functionality hobbled by this DRM issue changes the equation.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
kennyc

I am with you there netarc.

I do my best to avoid pdf's as I said, but if I needed both then it would be an issue with me as well.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
beesong
beesong began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Getting around this bug hasn't been as easy as Sony says; you know, to have only one library format on the unit at a time. Even though all my downloads are in PDF, the "protected page" error kept coming back up. I finally resorted to downloading each title to the unit one at a time and checking to make sure it would open. And so guess which one is the guilty culprit that crashes all my other books??? The Sony Ereader User Guide -- which is ALSO in PDF!

So, when is Sony going to fix this bug??????
beesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
netarc

I had the same issue occur for me again, btw - this time, with *only* DRM'd EPUB books on the reader!

I returned all the PDF DRM material, synch'ed the reader, and confirmed that EPUB library books would open; then I checked out & downloaded some new EPUB material ... and was p|553d to find that suddenly all the drm'd EPUBs were inaccessible - also confirmed that no drm'd PDF was on the reader nor in the PC's library.

Re-downloaded one of the drm'd EPUBs, and then everything was working ok - until the next time this breaks. sigh.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
4nefertiti
Enthusiast
4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS900 (daily edition), blackberry
Sony firmware update is needed.

The same issue is occurring on all models. Only downloading on of the formats at a time is not an acceptable workaround.. Get with it Sony. I just shelled out damn near $400 bucks for a daily edition. When I found that my local libraries use overdrive my pockets (and husband) were very happy.

Kind of frustrating not to be able to get the borrowed books on the reader. I had to delete my borrowed books twice. Deleted from the library then downloaded again. Still nothing. I removed my epubs then put them directly on the reader instead of the memory card and presto...I can now read my borrowed library books.
4nefertiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
beesong

Another "protected page" error problem -- each time I have to delete my borrowed library books and re-download them to my PRS300, the library keeps track and then blocks any further downloads of the same title. Each can only be downloaded 3 times. And since I've had to do this several times now to get the Sony to open them, I can now no longer "check out" those titles!

My "solution" to being able to read those books is that I have been forced to download those titles in the other format when available (mobi instead of pdf or epub) and convert the mobi files to open on my Kindle. Given that I bought my PRS300 solely because I wanted to be able to access the far-greater library offerings in PDF and EPUB, this is a sad irony.

Sony, fix this issue!!!!

Last edited by beesong; 01-14-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Why do the books need to be completely redownloaded from the library?

They should be stored in a folder called My Digital Editions I think it is under My Documents in Windows - at least they're all stored there on my Vista PC. Just open them from here or from ADE.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
beesong

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Why do the books need to be completely redownloaded from the library?

They should be stored in a folder called My Digital Editions I think it is under My Documents in Windows - at least they're all stored there on my Vista PC. Just open them from here or from ADE.
This is what Sony support told me to do. I must admit, that the person who was working with me DID seem to be grasping at straws.......
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Why would it only apply to library books?

and a follow up, is this really a Sony issue or an Adobe DRM issue. In other words does the same thing happen with say an Astak Pocket Pro?
It seems to be a Sony issue as it does not happen with the Pocket Pro. I tested on the PPro when I came across the problem on the Sony.

Last edited by bookfanmd; 01-14-2010 at 12:09 PM.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote