Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Trying to find the right one for me...

I've been trying to do the research and figure out which reader is right for me, but I'm still a bit confused, and I'm hoping you all might be able to help.

I do a lot of recreational reading of fiction books, and that's what I plan to use a reader for. I don't need one that supports PDFs or surfs the web or anything fancy like that, just something that'll let me read novels with relative ease. As for formats, I get the basics, but DRMs confuse me a little - and I don't want to get something where to read books I'd have to remove the DRM and then convert the format and all that jazz.

I've been considering the Kindle, the nook, and to a lesser extent something by Sony, and this is what I've managed to learn so far:

-The Kindle has the advantage of low prices and a large selection (though I've found that for books I tend to read, places such as fictionwise sometimes have more titles available) along with ability to work overseas, but I'm worried about the whole proprietary format thing - supposing, I don't know, something happens and I no longer want to/can't use a Kindle, but am stuck with a whole bunch of books in that format. I also heard about people's books getting removed from their devices without their consent, and that *really* bothers me as well. I'm also not fond of the way it looks...

-The nook looks nice, but had got the disadvantages of not being able to use gift cards for ebooks and of not being able to purchase books outside of the US (I may be traveling to the UK in the fall) From what I understand, I'd be able to purchase epub books from fictionwise if I wanted to and read them on the nook? I plan to wait until it comes out to see what users have to say about it.

-Sony is the one I'm most confused about (mostly with regards to formats.) I mainly don't understand about what exactly it can read - I've looked at Sony's ebook store, and titles I'd be interested in tend to be waaay more expensive than at other places. I understand that I can get a reader that supports epub and get books from elsewhere, but the DRM thing confuses me, and I don't know how to figure out if I'd be able to read books I got from elsewhere.

I'm just confused, I suppose. If anyone knows how to clarify, or has an input about what sounds like the right one, I'd *love* to hear it!
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post
-The Kindle has the advantage of low prices and a large selection (though I've found that for books I tend to read, places such as fictionwise sometimes have more titles available) along with ability to work overseas, but I'm worried about the whole proprietary format thing - supposing, I don't know, something happens and I no longer want to/can't use a Kindle, but am stuck with a whole bunch of books in that format. I also heard about people's books getting removed from their devices without their consent, and that *really* bothers me as well. I'm also not fond of the way it looks...
Don't buy a book until you are ready to read it. That way, you won't be stuck with a bunch of unread books. Also, it is possible to "remove DRM and all that jazz" from most of the ebooks in the kindle store... if it ever came to that. Also, the removal of an ebook was a one time thing, Amazon said it was a mistake, people it happened to got compensated, and they said it won't happen again since it was a glitch in their billing platform.. which I believe.

BTW: It isn't fashion accessory... it is an ebook reader. Form follows function.

Quote:
-The nook looks nice, but had got the disadvantages of not being able to use gift cards for ebooks and of not being able to purchase books outside of the US (I may be traveling to the UK in the fall) From what I understand, I'd be able to purchase epub books from fictionwise if I wanted to and read them on the nook? I plan to wait until it comes out to see what users have to say about it.
Who said you couldn't purchase books outside the US? I don't recall that being the case. Perhaps you can't purchase from the Device... but I assume you can still purchase with a PC and download the books. That said, just buy some books before you go traveling. If it is stocked up before you leave there are no worries. Also, how often and how long will you be traveling... once again, seems like you are concerned about tiny exceptions rather than the main stream rules.

Quote:
-Sony is the one I'm most confused about (mostly with regards to formats.) I mainly don't understand about what exactly it can read - I've looked at Sony's ebook store, and titles I'd be interested in tend to be waaay more expensive than at other places. I understand that I can get a reader that supports epub and get books from elsewhere, but the DRM thing confuses me, and I don't know how to figure out if I'd be able to read books I got from elsewhere.
It is a bit confusing because different stores using different names. Basically you will be able to read ePub and PDF eBooks that use Adobe DRM. That is most of the independent ebook stores like BooksOnBoard.com, cyberread, smashwords, deisel, etc.

Quote:
I'm just confused, I suppose. If anyone knows how to clarify, or has an input about what sounds like the right one, I'd *love* to hear it!
I hope this info helps. Frankly, I think you would be fine with any of the three.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi, it is confusing I know

I have a Sony reader 600 - I am not a technical whiz by any means but I have successfully read books in epub format and also pdf files on it. Using the free Calibre software (look in this forum) you can convert say text files to ebook formats too.

I've never used the Sony store to buy books. There are plenty of websites where you can download free books (I think it is books published before 1920 something that are available) and also I borrow epub books from the library and have bought some online from WHSmiths - which is a UK site.

epub is the industry standard ebook format now and so many ebook sites support this so you should be fine if you wanted to go down the sony route.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Kindle will give you simplicity, and probably has the most user-friendly software. It (currently) can only read ebooks from the Kindle store and non-DRM Mobipocket ebooks.

The nook is an unknown, as it's not out yet. It will read ePub with Adobe DRM and B&N DRM, and also DRM-free ePUBs. So it'll be able to read books from any ebook store apart from the Kindle store.

Of the current Sony's, I'd say the 300 is the one you should go for. It will read Adobe DRM ePubs and DRM-free ePubs, so that covers all ebook stores apart from Kindle & B&N.

And then there's the snaller maker, like BeBook, Bookeen, etc.

I'd suggest that you also consider form factor - the nook and the kindle are significantly bigger (& heavier) than other 6" readers, and even more so when compared to the 5" readers.

If I was buying new today for fiction reading, I'd probably go for the Sony 300, the Bookeen Opus or the BeBook mini (or equivalent). This would be on the grounds of smaller size, so easier to carry everywhere with me, and probably a bit more robust because of the smaller screen size. Also, being 200ppi instead of 167ppi, the text will be slightly sharper. (Although fewer words per page as same physical character size.)

Quote:
I do a lot of recreational reading of fiction books, and that's what I plan to use a reader for. I don't need one that supports PDFs or surfs the web or anything fancy like that, just something that'll let me read novels with relative ease.

I've been considering the Kindle, the nook, and to a lesser extent something by Sony.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I agree - for you the best bet would probably be one of the 5 inch models PocketBook 360, Aztak 5” EZ Reader Pocket PRO, Cybook Opus or Sony PRS 300.

You dont sound like you want to be locked in to buying form one store and you dont want to be converting etc. So lets put the nook and Kindle aside. Portability seems to be the next factor and the 5inch models are more portable than the 6 inch with the added plus of more dots/inch of screen size.

I personally the prefer the minimalist button design of the PB 360 and the Opus versus the multi-button style of the Aztak and the Sony 300. They are just much more intuitive to navigate for me. The stock cover that comes with the Aztak is also not fantastic- for me its just too much bigger than the unit. I also think I like holding the plastic ones versus the metal Sony

Dont get me wrong- I like reading on any of them and in fact the Sony and the Aztak may both be available from my store soon. They are both exceptional values at their current prices of $199.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your replies, everyone! They've been a *really* huge help. It's looking more and more to me like Sony (the 300) is going to be the way to go (thank you so much for clearing up my format confusion!) - this weekend I'll be going to stores near me and see if there's a physical one I can play around with, just to be sure.

Thanks again!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Not sure where you are from, but I noticed in this past weeks Best Buy flyer they had the Sony 300 and 600 included.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
My wants and needs are similar to yours. I've had my sony 505 now for a little over a year and I still love it. It's easy to use for library books (which is my main source of "free" books), but I have also found many places (including the sony ebookstore!) where I've downloaded free books to read. I only use it for fiction in epub, pdf and sony formats.

I'm not as familar with the newer sony versions after the 700, but I know the 300 is similar but smaller screen. My 505 fits into my purse (I actually got a slightly larger purse for that purpose), so I am never apart from my books

Good luck deciding!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Lirael
Moomin

Thanks so much for the input, everybody! I ended up getting a Sony 505. I tried out a 300 at the store, but the screen felt a little small to me and since the store also had a 505 I went for that instead. After a few technical hiccups getting started I'm absolutely loving it!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Congratulations!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote