Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
CapnHarlock
CapnHarlock is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs600
Question Hi from VA, and a problem already :(

Greetings, folks.

CapnHarlock here, in Winchester VA, USA. I just received 2 Sony PRS600's, and so far, loving mine, in general.

I hate to begin with a problem, but my gf's machine (she's 9 hrs away in Kentucky at school, and not a techie) is having issues already (I got it for her to carry all her class readings, alas, in .pdf format)

While showing off the new toy, she opened a .pdf, and attempted to zoom in the content to increase font size. Instead, font size decreased and th eReader locked up completely. Power switch not working, soft reset button has no effect. Not-quite-bricked.

Any ideas?

On the positive side, there is a fairly-comprehensive user manual available at the www.sony.com site, if anyone needs it.

Thanks to the site-owners for creating a very useful resource
CapnHarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome CapnHarlock -- glad to see you've joined us here at MobileRead. Unfortunately, I don't know what to recommend to free up the PRS600. I've been very disappointed with PDF "support" on every device I've tried it on, but one would not expect the device to freeze-up when viewing it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
CapnHarlock

Thank you, Elsi.

I do hope someone has suggestions

I have had no serious problems with .pdf on the reader yet, but .pdf is never ideal for anythging but printing companies .
Old 09-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi CapnHarlock and welcome to MobileRead. Like Elsi, I haven't had any problems with pdf's.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHarlock View Post
Greetings, folks.

CapnHarlock here, in Winchester VA, USA. I just received 2 Sony PRS600's, and so far, loving mine, in general.

I hate to begin with a problem, but my gf's machine (she's 9 hrs away in Kentucky at school, and not a techie) is having issues already (I got it for her to carry all her class readings, alas, in .pdf format)

While showing off the new toy, she opened a .pdf, and attempted to zoom in the content to increase font size. Instead, font size decreased and th eReader locked up completely. Power switch not working, soft reset button has no effect. Not-quite-bricked.

Any ideas?

On the positive side, there is a fairly-comprehensive user manual available at the www.sony.com site, if anyone needs it.

Thanks to the site-owners for creating a very useful resource
Welcome to MR, CapnHarlock, and sorry that your first post is about a problem.

I have the 505 and haven't had but one problem with a pdf. It was a very large book and kept freezing my Reader, especially when I changed the font size.

Maybe, your girlfriend is loading a lot of pdf's? Or some very large pdf school book files on the Reader? Or when she changes the font size on a large pdf it takes a while to repagnate and freezes?

I just finally USB hooked up and deleted the book from my Reader in order to get it to work again.

Also, on my 505 it moves from S to M to L. If you are on L then you have to go back to S then M to get to the M font size. Maybe it hung up on all the changing?

Hopefully, a member with experience on the 600 will chime in soon with some help.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, CapnHarlock!

Looks like we're neighbors! I live in Fauquier County.

I wish I could help with your pdf issues, but I've never read pdf's on my 700. If you don't get the help you need here, try reposting your problem in the Sony Reader forum. I'm sure someone there will be able to give you some good advice. Good luck.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR CapnHarlock
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
CapnHarlock

my.... how odd....

thank you for the welcoming posts and the Sony forum recommendation.

if any of my VA neighbors wish to help even more, my ex and daughter were unable to make it here for dinner - I have the proverbial "boatload" of braised beef shank "osso buco" (red wine, mirepoix, bacon, mushrooms and roasted tomatoes) and roasted potatoes -
just let me know
Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
If you're in the NOVA area of VA, consider coming to one of our periodic Meet Ups. We had one back in June in Alexandria.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I think with the 505 I've had to do a restart by pressing something in the reset hole and turning it on at the same time - I have no idea if the same would apply to the 600, but might be worth a shot!

Otherwise, ask on the Sony forums on MR (here, in fact: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I was close to Winchester this morning. We turned off I-81 at Strasberg onto I-64 and rolled into Richmond around noon. If I'd known you were cooking dinner, I might have just stayed on I-81 and dropped in!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
CapnHarlock

Well... there are leftovers
Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
CapnHarlock

The gentleman at Sony Support offered this solution, which seemed to work:

press in and hold the reset button. while the reset is being pressed, cycle the power switch 5 times.

(also crossposted in Sony forum)
Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Uh Oh, I smell a glitch. This same thing happened to another member yesterday, and he got the exact same advice. Luckily, this advice seems to have done the trick.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote