Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Markpc
Markpc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Waterstones and Mac

Hi all and a merry Xmas
Santa brought me a Sony PRS-505.
I have a MacBook Pro and have installed Calibre.

Just for fun I thought I would buy a book from Waterstones and load it.

The book downloaded fine and I have transferred it to my Reader. All I can see is an error message saying:

Protected Page

Can anyone help me by telling where I am going wrong?

Please dont tell me that I have to go back to a PC!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Mark
Markpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You will need one-time access to a Windows PC in order to "Activate" your Sony Reader with Adobe Digital Editions. This can currently only be done using the Windows version of ADE.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Markpc
Markpc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Harry

Thanks for the quick reply.

Worked like a charm.

Happy New Year!

Rgds
Markpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My pleasure .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
You do not need a windows pc to activate the 505. The Mac is perfectly capable of this. Just download Adobe Digital Editions for Mac (which I use on a daily basis), register it with an account and then connect the 505 to your Mac. This lets you read ePub files from Waterstones. Files purchased from the Sony store is probably a different story, but if your using Waterstones, just install digital editions. At least this is what I've been told by a friend who claimed he'd been able to do it.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
You do not need a windows pc to activate the 505. The Mac is perfectly capable of this. Just download Adobe Digital Editions for Mac (which I use on a daily basis), register it with an account and then
I'm pretty sure this is not true. I think even on Adobe's blog they say you must use a Windows machine with Sony Library software installed in order to authorize the reader to the Adobe ID. Of course, once you have done that you can use the Mac DE only from then on out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Err... No! You need a PC access at least the first time, to authorise your PRS505. AFTER you have authorised the reader, you can transfer protected files downloaded from any source by simply copy/pasting them in the right folder (it shoud be called Adobe). You still need to access a PC once, as ADE on Mac does not recognise the PRS505.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I think I know how I missunderstood. When he got a 505 I asked how it worked with his mac and he said it worked great as DE was available for mac, etc. I gave him a call today and brought it up, turns out his friend authorised it for him when on his windows machine when he got it for him, so it was just me who missunderstood
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
samread
samread began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Hi! Perhaps someone can help me too with a Mac problem. My 505 was initially registered on a PC. Now, using my Mac, I have bought ebooks from Waterstones online and have copied them to an SD memory card. I thought that putting the card in the reader should display the books - but it doesn't. Is there a way of doing this?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
samread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by samread View Post
Hi! Perhaps someone can help me too with a Mac problem. My 505 was initially registered on a PC. Now, using my Mac, I have bought ebooks from Waterstones online and have copied them to an SD memory card. I thought that putting the card in the reader should display the books - but it doesn't. Is there a way of doing this?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
I replied on your new thread.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote