Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Blue over Silver

My (blue) 500 recently died, and it's come to my attention almost every Sony 505 (I figured I might as well upgrade) on Ebay is silver. Same goes for buying it through a UK business (I'm in Taiwan, so I'm thinking of having it sent to a friend's house and getting them to forward it to me here for various reasons including import duty and a UK-based warranty); on the Waterstones, Sony, etc. sites, there's no suggestion you have a colour option that I can see. It's silver, silver, silver all the way. And yet it's obvious if you look at the US sites, it's both colours that are available.

Can anyone in the UK tell me if they actually are selling blue 505's there? Having had a blue model, I think I vastly prefer it because of it's greater contrast to the screen. I'm guessing the vast preference is for the blue, since they cost more on Ebay, and retailers there with multiple units have messages saying they have silver readers, but have run out of the blue.
You should know, by the way, that I'm jonesing bad for my reader. It's true. Life just seems empty and hollow without one of the annoyingly fragile little buggers.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
No the blue is not yet available here in the UK, you get the silver (anywhere) and now the red (John Lewis only)
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The screen contrast of 505 on its own is much better than 500, it doesn't really matter if it's silver, blue or red.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
No the blue is not yet available here in the UK, you get the silver (anywhere) and now the red (John Lewis only)
Didn't know about red option.
Thanks a lot!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

LOL I bought the silver in Sept and I also have a red one under the tree for me to open Christmas day, can't wait !! Hubby and daughter both said the red was gorgeous, though I love my silver one too.
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
LOL I bought the silver in Sept and I also have a red one under the tree for me to open Christmas day, can't wait !!
Boy, Santa just isn't as secretive as he used to be.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
babyd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Boy, Santa just isn't as secretive as he used to be.

BOb

No he isn't, but if I choose the present he knows I'll like it
Old 12-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
LOL I bought the silver in Sept and I also have a red one under the tree for me to open Christmas day, can't wait !! Hubby and daughter both said the red was gorgeous, though I love my silver one too.
LOL, can I help you open it?
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #9
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
May I posit that it's time we found a nickname for the Sony Reader/ebook readers in general to reflect their influence, as in 'crackberry' for the blackberry handhelds?

The best I can think of is 'e-crack', but I'm sure someone could come up with something better. Because I swear, I was jonesing bad, bad after my 500 died a week ago.

I work from home, and my work rate plummeted while I scoured ebay and various websites, before finally, er, cracking, and ordering a blue one from B&H and damn the dwindling finances. I swear I never thought I'd miss the thing so damn much.

Now if I can only find a reliable protective case (like the BookArmor case) that doesn't cost as much to get delivered as it does to buy.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote