Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-25-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Question Adding a Column in Calibre called "Like"

I want to add a new column in Calibre called "Like" to keep a record of books I really enjoyed.

Have gone to Preferences - Add your own column - ticked "Like" box.

The column appears in calibre but not sure what to do then.
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
what data type did you create? T/F

My preference is 3 state (affects all of Calibre): <unset>, T, F
Preferences: Behavior: (on the Right)

to set a value, <F2>: <there is an pulldown arrow or you could just type Y or N
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Just out of curiosity, why don't you just rate the book in the standard 1-5 star Rating field? That way, you'd know how MUCH you liked (or disliked) the book.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 01-25-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: more info
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
Just out of curiosity, why don't you just rate the book in the standard 1-5 star Rating field? That way, you'd know how MUCH you liked (or disliked) the book.
If you don't want other folks ratings, this his hard to suppress.
You can remove from the 'Metadata Download Sources', but if the rating is already INSIDE the book, it gets added
Old 01-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
The column appears in calibre but not sure what to do then.
Enter a value, either in metadata edit (custom columns), or in the book list via pressing F2 in a books 'Like' cell.

If you make your Like custom column a Ratings type column, you can avoid the issue raised by theducks. If you edit it in the book list (via F2) you can adjust the value up/down with the arrow keys, and as a bonus you can have half stars.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Enter a value, either in metadata edit (custom columns), or in the book list via pressing F2 in a books 'Like' cell.

If you make your Like custom column a Ratings type column, you can avoid the issue raised by theducks. If you edit it in the book list (via F2) you can adjust the value up/down with the arrow keys, and as a bonus you can have half stars.

BR
Great point. Personal Ratings
Old 01-26-2017, 12:10 AM   #7
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you don't want other folks ratings, this his hard to suppress.
You can remove from the 'Metadata Download Sources', but if the rating is already INSIDE the book, it gets added
Ouch. Darn good point. And one I hadn't considered. I've got Rating removed from my Metadata download. But, if I ever mess that up, it's possible I could lose my individual ratings. If I set up a custom Personal Rating column a la BetterRed, is there any way to bulk copy the Rating metadata over to that custom column? Perhaps a bulk Search & Replace:

Edit Metadata > Edit Metadata in Bulk > Search and Replace

set the Search Mode to Regular Expression and just select Rating as the Search Field and my custom column as the Destination Field? But, I don't know what to Search For. A dot (i.e., "." without quotes)?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:34 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use search replace, but since there are only 5 rating values it is easier to just click them one by one in the tag browser, easch time you will get the list of books iwth that rating then use the bulk metadata edit dialog to set that value in the custom column for those books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Done. Thanks, Kovid.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:59 AM   #10
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
what data type did you create? T/F

My preference is 3 state (affects all of Calibre): <unset>, T, F
Preferences: Behavior: (on the Right)

to set a value, <F2>: <there is an pulldown arrow or you could just type Y or N
Hi I didn't create a data type not sure how to do that.
Yes /no or something similar would be great.
I was able to do that for read and not read.
Just something that would make me notice books I have liked a lot to recommend to others.
Don't want the ratings column.
If you could just maybe give me an example?

Last edited by Jo69; 01-27-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:05 AM   #11
Jo69
Addict

Quote:

BR
Thank you but ...
Sorry I may appear thick lol But just don't understand. All I want is to add the Like column and be able to add yes or a star or something in just a few books I really enjoyed
Don't want ratings for all my books
Old 01-27-2017, 04:35 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
All I want is to add the Like column and be able to add yes or a star or something in just a few books I really enjoyed
@Jo69 - try this, Preferences(ctrl+p)->Add your own columns, then:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	154531

I suggest you work through the Video Tutorials and acquaint yourself with the overall content of the calibre User Manual

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
Jo69
Addict

Red face

Quote:
@Jo69 - try this, Preferences(ctrl+p)->Add your own columns, then:

Attachment 154531

I suggest you work through the Video Tutorials and acquaint yourself with the overall content of the calibre User Manual

BR
I have looked at the user manual before but could never find exactly what I wanted. Usually something very basic lol
Thanks so much. Now I understand.

Last edited by Jo69; 01-28-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:26 AM   #14
Jo69
Addict

Slight problem thought that was the answer Better Red.
But I have already got a Yes/No column for read or not
It will not let me add another.
Can I call it something else?
Anything would do, a check mark or 1 star
Just something I would notice.

Don't want a ratings column. As don't want to rate every book just to notice a few
Thanks.

Last edited by Jo69; 01-29-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:45 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Slight problem thought that was the answer Better Red.
But I have already got a Yes/No column for read or not
It will not let me add another.
Can I call it something else?
Anything would do, a check mark or 1 star
Just something I would notice.

Don't want a ratings column. As don't want to rate every book just to notice a few
Thanks.
You can add as many Yes/No column as you like, if you choose another name and display name.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote