Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
e-ink and backlighting - a solution

To start this thread off, this is my first post. I used to be an avid book reader, but with todays' hectic life, time is limiting. I am awaiting for the prices of these e-ink readers to drop first before I commit a few bills to attain one.

Now to my main point. I have scoured websites like engadget, gizmodo, mobileread, searched through google, and have come up with not one example. I would personally love to see an e-ink reader with a backlight. I have personally come up with a way to do this, which has been overlooked by the major companies.

Electroluminescent lighting. Look at THIS image. This nightlight is very inexpensive to power, using only 2 cents of electricity per year when constantly plugged in.

By placing this luminous panel behind the e-ink display, when you turn on the light, it will glow softly, allowing you to read the text in front of it. This will allow a much more pleasant reading experience than the glare from even a small book lamp. Plus, you won't have a light that will hinder your parner from his or her precious sleep.

Perhaps this has been tried already, or perhaps the e-ink technology will not allow a backlight of any kind. I am unsure. But I do know this. If this idea IS possible, then turning the glowlight on will have virtually NO effect on the power consumption of the battery.

Does anyone here have any more information or comments regarding this idea of backlights with e-ink?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Scoured, huh? Sounds like you need to scour a bit more.

Battery life is not the (only) reason you do not see backlights on eInk readers. As many have pointed out on this site, eInk panels are opaque -- light does not pass through. Backlighting does not work.

Several people have suggested various solutions for lighting a reader from the front (besides a good old-fashioned, well-lit room), most are variations on either a standard, clip-on book lamp or something similar to the LightWedge. There is also speculation that a later version of the ePaper diplay might be able to use a back-mounted light, but I think that is still just speculation.

For now, there is nothing integrated, and eInk remains BYOLight.

Jack

P.S. I almost forgot. Astak has suggested a book light much like the clip-ons, but it would be attached, and could be turned on or off as needed. Have to wait and see what they release. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...870#post199870

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 06-20-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added the P.S.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The issue is that unlike an LCD, the display in the Kindle, Sony Reader, Irex, etc, is opaque. Lighting from the back at best will do nothing for you, and at worst will shine through gaps in the coating and wash things out since non of those photons will interact with the particles in the display.

So, an E Ink display needs to be front lit, not back lit. So, aside from the power concerns which you address, there are challenges in getting uniform lighting from a source integrated with the display.
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Aye. Ya put me in my place. Perhaps it was the way I was searching. Looking only for keywords instead of reading cognitavely. Thanks for the reply.

I suppose, then, the only way backlighting would be possible is if E-Ink integrated luminous material in the display itself, somehow.

And here I thought I had something... *shrug*

unless...

bugger. that wouldnt work either. Thanks again.

Last edited by griffonwing; 06-20-2008 at 04:56 PM.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Aye. Ya put me in my place. Perhaps it was the way I was searching. Looking only for keywords instead of reading cognitavely. Thanks for the reply.

I suppose, then, the only way backlighting would be possible is if E-Ink integrated luminous material in the display itself, somehow.

unless...

Actually, you have an idea, but you'd be better off working on something similar to a LightWedge.

IOW, Opaque is *OPAQUE*! The base layer of the e-ink material contains lots of circuitry and really *can't* be replaced with an electroluminescent panel. Sorry, but you'll just have to live with the bug light or the LightWedge along with the rest of us.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
If you want something with a backlight--ever consider an Asus EEE PC? The price tag is still sort of heavy ($300 for the cheapest model), but you get a very portable computer and a backlit (is that the right word?) screen.

I don't think I'd like to read a book on the screen--but then again, I'm not a fan of the backlighting.

Edit: Also--if you're looking for both a backlight and a low price tag: http://www.ebookwise.com/

Last edited by Duodora; 06-20-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post

unless...

Well, we hope your place is here. Welcome aboard. It's a problem a lot of us have been mulling over for awhile. It's an unfilled need in the market. I think it's great that you're thinking of the possibilities of what could be.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i think a lot of us who buy e-ink readers do so because we get eyestrain easily. that is certainly true in my case. i have an eee pc but can't read on it for extended periods any more than i could read on my computer - i get very bad eyestrain. so for me, having my cybook not lit is the reason i can use it.

you can, btw, get a very small clip-on light for your ebook reader if you need light. i believe some even have their own batteries.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Actually, you have an idea, but you'd be better off working on something similar to a LightWedge.

IOW, Opaque is *OPAQUE*! The base layer of the e-ink material contains lots of circuitry and really *can't* be replaced with an electroluminescent panel.
Ahh, but what if the little white bits in e-Ink themselves were luminescent? Huh?

I'm not listening to any counterarguments for a while - I'm too busy imagining that I'm Aquaman, reading from my marine bioluminescent ebook device, on my couch in an octopus's garden in the shade.

Cheers,
Aquaman
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #10
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
eInk panels are opaque -- light does not pass through. Backlighting does not work.
You just haven't tried powerful enough backlighting.

Seriously. Put your hand over a floodlight sometime, you'll be surprised at how much you can see of the internal structure (you may also experience a certain amount of warming... your hand does soak up most of the light). I suspect the same would happen with an eInk display. The problem might be loss of contrast and the fluids boiling off. But it would probably work.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
You just haven't tried powerful enough backlighting.

Seriously. Put your hand over a floodlight sometime, you'll be surprised at how much you can see of the internal structure (you may also experience a certain amount of warming... your hand does soak up most of the light). I suspect the same would happen with an eInk display. The problem might be loss of contrast and the fluids boiling off. But it would probably work.
Cybook Gen4 : backlit ! Super Deluxe pack includes power generator and trailer for transport.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Cybook Gen4 : backlit ! Super Deluxe pack includes power generator and trailer for transport.
Cold fusion powered laser perhaps...might save on weight
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I know this has been mentioned on the forum before, but I couldn't find it in a search...

One option would be side lighting, using white LEDs at the side of the screen. I used to have a Sonly Clie PDA with an LCD screen that was side-lit rather than backlit. It was in colour and with pretty good dot pitch too.

The first Nintendo Gameboy Advances had similar screens (non-backlit, colour LCDs) and people were able to retrofit some white LEDs to the side the screen and light them that way.

Not quite as bright as backlit, and colours a bit washed out but very usable.

Size of screen might be an issue though since you are lighting from the perimeters
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The trouble with light diffusers (ie "side lighting") is that, by their very nature, they somewhat "blur" the image, and you get that "down-side" whether or not you're using the lighting. I'm not sure that's a "sacrifice" I'm willing to make.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
One option would be side lighting, using white LEDs at the side of the screen. I used to have a Sonly Clie PDA with an LCD screen that was side-lit rather than backlit. It was in colour and with pretty good dot pitch too.

Size of screen might be an issue though since you are lighting from the perimeters
I actually mentioned this idea in my earlier post, but maybe it was not clear that the LightWedge is a sidelight. The size of the screen is a problem, as you said. When they cover a small area, they can be thin causing only a little distortion, as is the case with a PDA. As the coverage area gets larger, you need something more substantial to diffuse the light, which is why the lightwedge is not very thin, leading to problems Harry mentioned above.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlight, e-ink, electroluminescent, feature, power