Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #46
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
There seem to be many differences between the US and UK stores. Has anyone found a way of buying gift cards that can be used at Nook UK, for instance?
I've been waiting, in vain so far, for the UK site to allow you to buy gift vouchers/cards to apply rather than every single transaction being a single charge to my bank card. I've had my NST since October last year and don't think they are in any hurry to give us the perks/extras that nook owners in the US have. I really expected at least to have the ability to add a gift voucher to my account by now.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #47
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I thought the built-in firmware seemed quite reasonable, and didn't see much point in rooting it.
The main attraction is the ability to then add your eBook Reader app of choice, with the obvious one being you have an epub reader that you can install the Kindle app on to read Kindle books too.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #48
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The main attraction is the ability to then add your eBook Reader app of choice, with the obvious one being you have an epub reader that you can install the Kindle app on to read Kindle books too.
This! I did not need a new reader as I am quite happy with my Sony 650. But £29 and ability to add kindle is what pushed me to nook simple touch. I agree any other gaming or networking apps are not exciting. I was surprised that I could add Taptalk.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #49
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Well, just rooted my nook and I now have CoolReader and FBReader. It's like being back with my old hanlin v3 again

Cool, I've got the current book cover as the screensaver as well.
And I can delete files.

Starting to like this
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #50
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I guess I'm not that convinced that the apps will handle the eInk display well. My colleague rooted his T2 and it seemed to update the screen too much.

Also, I already have a kindle.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #51
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Despite only buying a T1 late March, I couldn't resist also getting a Nook at that price.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #52
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I guess I'm not that convinced that the apps will handle the eInk display well. My colleague rooted his T2 and it seemed to update the screen too much.
Yes, that is definitely a concern. The Kindle app shows an animated "slide" page turn which cannot be disabled. My understanding is that this causes multiple flashes on the eink screens. Some apps work better than others on an eink screen. You DEFINITELY won't be playing "Angry Birds" or "Cut the Rope" on the eink screen.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #53
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
You DEFINITELY won't be playing "Angry Birds" or "Cut the Rope" on the eink screen.
It runs, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k22BB8VPI5o
(a Wee bit g-h-o-s-t-l-y, though.)

I favor Coolreader to FBreader on android.
And on the Nook it integrates a bit better.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...support-video/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #54
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It runs, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k22BB8VPI5o
(a Wee bit g-h-o-s-t-l-y, though.)

I favor Coolreader to FBreader on android.
And on the Nook it integrates a bit better.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...support-video/
ROFL. I didn't say it wasn't possible, but you don't WANT to do it.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #55
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The reason I rooted mine, or at least left it rooted, is the ReLaunch file manager - I've side loaded my ePubs onto an SD card, using Calibre to create an Author/Series/Title hierarchy and while the default Explorer is a bit limited in what it shows (using a lot of screen real estate with big icons), the replacement launcher/explorer is much better for what I use it for.
I've put CoolReader on, but so far not decided whether to switch from the default reader...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rdlecoeur