Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
JeremyBenson
Writer and Blogger!
JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
Book Style Theory

This is kind of a style theory question. What would be your take on an e-book with styled text? Maybe making use of HTMLs ability to bold certain words, or cause some words to be of a slightly different font or color?

I'd imagine its been done somewhere, but I was thinking it would be good for anime style writers...

I think someone could pull it off, lol.
JeremyBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Lots of people pull it off, most ebooks use various styles and fonts...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBenson View Post
This is kind of a style theory question. What would be your take on an e-book with styled text? Maybe making use of HTMLs ability to bold certain words, or cause some words to be of a slightly different font or color?

I'd imagine its been done somewhere, but I was thinking it would be good for anime style writers...

I am rather puzzled by your suggestion. The overwhelming majority of books use italics, bold, etc, for formatting. Can you elaborate on what it is that you're proposing?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:

Something like Michael Ende's "Neverending Story"?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Are you talking about something like Geronimo Stilton books?

http://geronimostilton.com/upload/as...274/3328-2.jpg

I have seen milder examples used in novels (for adults), but found it a bit obnoxious. One of the big issues is that every author does things differently since there are very few conventions on the use of styled text within the body of the text.
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ouch! That would take a LOT of embedded fonts! I suppose it has a certain humourous impact, but I hope the author doesn't continue in that style for long!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post

I have seen milder examples used in novels (for adults), but found it a bit obnoxious. One of the big issues is that every author does things differently since there are very few conventions on the use of styled text within the body of the text.
Reminds me of the early days of Desktop Publishing when every single handbill and lost puppy notice used 15 different fonts. Eventually the bleeding eyeball effect had people raising posses to tar and feather the culprits and the practice was stamped out.

(That is, the novety wore off and people settled down to the lesser practice of using Comic Sans for everything.)

I guess we'll be repeating that phase in ebooks...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe we get some kitty cat tiled background and some crappy midi music playing in the background as well.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Bear in mind that the books in question are children's books. Yes, the ebooks have imbedded fonts and lots of colours but they are not quite as eye-searing as an old GeoCities user page.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
JeremyBenson
Writer and Blogger!
JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post

That looks really cool. If that was turned into some darker illustrated anime style stuff I think that would be very close to something I would read

I hadn't seen it done yet, but everything that I purchase is in straight novel format, lol.
JeremyBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take a look at the ePub for 11/22/63 and you will see that it does use embedded fonts very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Ouch! That would take a LOT of embedded fonts! I suppose it has a certain humourous impact, but I hope the author doesn't continue in that style for long!
But if you used Calibre's font subsetting, you could cut down the size quite a lot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
It's actually a pretty popular series among the younger crowd. Just imagine the fonts as being the intonation of a story teller and it makes sense. Especially since children's story tellers tend to be rather animated.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I listened to a trilogy once and then saw the paper books and regretted not opting for the paper book option, even though I don't usually have patience for paper: each book in the trilogy was written in a different color font and totally matched the cover and overall mood of the novels.
Blue (can't find a pic) - Red - Green
Makes me wonder what else I am missing out on, and how cool it would be if color eink was commonplace and used to its potential by publishers....
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
I'd rather not. It would give the book a weird feeling, like one written about a toy line where every toy has to be written in all caps and boldface.

It'd also make style sheet compilation really hard.

Quote:
Doubt it. What works in comic books doesn't always work in writing. In Soul Eater, for example, Black*Star always says his name in boldface, and it always seems to have a star (I used an asteriks here) in it whenever anyone writes or speaks it. Would that work in a novel, or even a partially illustrated "Light Novel"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Bear in mind that the books in question are children's books. Yes, the ebooks have imbedded fonts and lots of colours but they are not quite as eye-searing as an old GeoCities user page.
The anime generation is hitting 30 now. We're not children, even if we still like our anime and manga.

For me at least, anime and manga influence is more pacing and storytelling, than gimmick writing.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote