Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The dangerous stroller mistake parents are making

Medical researchers in Sweden are warning parents about the dangers of draping blankets over strollers during the hot summer months.

Research shows even thin blankets, including muslin cotton, can create a Thermos-like effect because of bad air circulation.

“If a child is unable to dissipate the heat and they find themselves in that situation they become dehydrated,” said Ian Pike with the BC Injury Research and Prevention Unit.

“Then things sort of get into heat exhaustion and if that’s not taken care of then this quite quickly progresses to heat stroke.”
Danger
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
That makes sense. I never used blankets in the summer. I also made sure if we were going to be out for any length of time, the baby had a bottle of water.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Yep, it's natural to want to protect a baby's tender skin from the sun, but draping a blanket over the stroller can turn it into a solar oven.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have kids but I honestly have never thought about it before I saw the article either. I imagine many parents/grandparents who have heard about how hot cars can get have never even considered that the same thing can happen with a stroller with a light blanket thrown over it.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
This is what my mind first conjures when I hear "baby strollers" (eBay link - not mine!).

Came with it's own awning.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2016, 01:06 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
This is what my mind first conjures when I hear "baby strollers" (eBay link - not mine!).

Came with it's own awning.
My Wheels! lol. I rode around in one like that when I was little. (born at the end of 1970).
Old 07-30-2016, 01:25 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This is all over Facebook so the word is getting out. I've seen this done too many times. Not only in strollers but baby carriages too.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:12 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This is all over Facebook so the word is getting out. I've seen this done too many times. Not only in strollers but baby carriages too.

Sent from my XT1528
That's where I first heard of it. I know not everyone goes on Facebook though so I thought I'd pass it along here.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sent from my XT1528
Aren't strollers and baby carriages the same thing?
Both have wheels and a place to put the baby.
Now the umbrella type strollers don't have awnings or a way to lay a baby down. They are more for the ones sitting up.

Oh I also do not recommend putting a two year old on a leash and then just putting the leash on the baby's stroller.
If you have a precocious 2 year old, they can and will slide the leash off the stroller in the 2 seconds your back is turned. They will then go to where they wanted to be.
Not that they will get what they want. In one 2 year old's case, she wanted another ride. Luckily the guy running it told her she had to be 3 to ride without a parent being present and made her stand off to the side until I got there.

He told me, he knew she had slipped off unnoticed when she was carrying her leash.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Now the umbrella type strollers don't have awnings or a way to lay a baby down. They are more for the ones sitting up.

Oh I also do not recommend putting a two year old on a leash and then just putting the leash on the baby's stroller.
If you have a precocious 2 year old, they can and will slide the leash off the stroller in the 2 seconds your back is turned. They will then go to where they wanted to be.
Not that they will get what they want. In one 2 year old's case, she wanted another ride. Luckily the guy running it told her she had to be 3 to ride without a parent being present and made her stand off to the side until I got there.

He told me, he knew she had slipped off unnoticed when she was carrying her leash.
A pre-school escape artist eh Cinisajoy. I imagine you had a few bad moments when you realized she wasn't where she was supposed to be.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
A pre-school escape artist eh Cinisajoy. I imagine you had a few bad moments when you realized she wasn't where she was supposed to be.
I pretty much figured where she had went. Luckily we were in an uncrowded mall.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No baby carriages was around way before strollers. They are not the same. I believe in the south they are called baby buggies. They are for infants to lay in. They look like a bassinet on wheels. I like the ones from the Victorian era the wheels are pretty cool.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
No baby carriages was around way before strollers. They are not the same. I believe in the south they are called baby buggies. They are for infants to lay in. They look like a bassinet on wheels. I like the ones from the Victorian era the wheels are pretty cool.

Sent from my XT1528
Oh ok. Now I see what you were thinking and yes those are cool.
Now with the materials they are made of, there may be slightly more air circulation. But probably not much.