Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
"He ain't heavy, he's my father:" The Aeneid

There is interest in continuing our epic journey this year with a group read of The Aeneid. For those who may be familiar with Homer in English translation, but not with Virgil, he well rewards the reading. The Aeneid retells the story of Aeneas (a Trojan who appeared in The Iliad) in the immediate aftermath of the fall of Troy, and his subsequent journeys ending in Italy where he founded the Roman people.

In order to give people time to decide on a translation and to order one if they're going the pbook route, we'll start reading two weeks from today, on September 17. As with the other epics, we'll plan to read six books a week. The work can be discussed from kickoff.

Looking forward to the discussion!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Great! I bought a used copy (Penguin Classic, translated by Jackson Knight) decades ago, but hadn't felt the urge to read it yet. It'll be fun to read along and compare to whatever is said about the version most people read.

P.S. Love the thread title!

Last edited by rkomar; 09-04-2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
very tempting!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I highly recommend Allen Mandelbaum's translation to those interested.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Great! I bought a used copy (Penguin Classic, translated by Jackson Knight) decades ago, but hadn't felt the urge to read it yet. It'll be fun to read along and compare to whatever is said about the version most people read.

P.S. Love the thread title!
Welcome aboard. And, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
very tempting!
Please join us, Paola! Can't beat that local connection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I highly recommend Allen Mandelbaum's translation to those interested.
I read Mandelbaum in college and I loved it. This time around, I've decided that having enjoyed Fagles so much with Homer, I'd stick with him for Virgil.

I typed that, and then I checked ebook prices and Mandelbaum is a steal at $1.99! I already ordered Fagles, but I can't resist Mandelbaum at that price. I'll try to compare.

Which leads me to a comment for those who might be thinking of joining in (please do!). Even though there are multiple public domain translations available for ereading, a modern translation can make all the difference in terms of enjoyment and understanding. At $1.99, I think it would be hard to justify not getting Mandelbaum in favor of getting a free version.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'd also suggest looking at Delphi Classics - they have the complete works of Virgil -- with some older PD translations of the Aeneid (including dual Latin & English texts for some - for those wanting to read the original text) - in both ePub (http://delphiclassics.com/shop/?p=2654) and Kindle (http://delphiclassics.com/shop/?p=730) -- DRM free and $1.99.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I haven't read these (Homer & Virgil) since high school. I loved them then and it might be worth reading them again as I'm sure I'd get "more" from them now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'll sign up too, as I have never read the Aeneid, apart from the section on Dido which I can remember staggering through in Latin in third year high school!

I can borrow the Fagles translation from my local library, so I'll be reading that.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd recommend the Robert Fagles translation; it's very good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
My 'Great Books' from 25 years ago has a translation by C. Day Lewis, so that's what I'll read unless I find it too heavy and awkward. Then I'll look for an ebook translation.
The C. Day Lewis was first published in GB in the '50s, and I know nothing else of it; scholarly (or otherwise) comments are welcome. Just no comments on why I've had a book or 50 for twenty-five years without reading it/them
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'm in!

I need to find a good translation. I was hoping for Lattimore but I'm not sure if he did the Aeneid, so based on these posts, I'm first looking at Mandelbaum and Fagles.

ETA - Like the Odyssey and Iliad earlier this year, I've only read passages here and there from the Aeneid but never the entire thing, so I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by sun surfer; 09-06-2012 at 10:43 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm in!

I need to find a good translation. I was hoping for Lattimore but I'm not sure if he did the Aeneid, so based on these posts, I'm first looking at Mandelbaum and Fagles.

ETA - Like the Odyssey and Iliad earlier this year, I've only read passages here and there from the Aeneid but never the entire thing, so I'm looking forward to it.
No, Lattimore didn't do the Aeneid, unfortunately. Like you, Lattimore is by far my favourite version of the Iliad and Odyssey.

For those who prefer a prose translation of the Aeneid, the Penguin Classics version by David West is perhaps the best, although personally I prefer the Fagles poetry version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I am back from holidays () and should have access to various translations from my library - the only thing is, not sure whether I can manage in two weeks, we'll see, but I'll definitely try and join in!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
... Just no comments on why I've had a book or 50 for twenty-five years without reading it/them
Hi. Kettle! Nice to meet ya. My name is Pot.

I only start reading a book if I feel the urge for that particular one, just after I finish the previous one. I have a few of those twenty-five year old, unread books myself, that never grabbed me in one of those small windows in time. I just can't plan on reading any particular book ahead of time, so it's good to have lots of them in the TBR pile.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm all in! I will see if I can find a nice epub version in Latin. I do have a pbook version, but it is not with me at the moment, and I prefer ebooks.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote