Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #31
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Unless I'm reading PDFs, a dedicated e-ink device is a much better option.

Ummm....write a good book that holds people's attention? Hasn't that always been the problem for books regardless of technology? I can't believe I wasted brain cells clicking on a Forbes article.
This. I ordered Nexus 7 just to read my pdfs. But I don't have any special preference for device or screen. Sometimes I start on my sony 650 and finish on smartphone. I keep switching between both. As far as distractions, the journalist must be talking about himself and made it as a generalised article.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #32
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Wow! You have more than 50 eyes? I only have two.
Well that's obvious that's why he carries 500 books on his phone.

Ever since I bought my nook and converted it to a tablet I do read less "books". I often tend to write, surf, read/write emails, read, and play games on my tablet.

I've not touched my K2 since I bought my nook. I do miss the long battery life and eInk device but everything is so much better on the Android device (reading, annotating, backing up notes) that the benefits overcome those shortcomings.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #33
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'm still trying to understand how reading a book like Stigmata: Escaping Texts by Hélène Cixous could ever be a parallel experience to playing Angry Birds. I've actually done both, but I've never thought to myself: "I feel the need to dwell in the corridors of a skeptical, scalpel-honed philosopher's cerebellum, examining/engaging in multi-leveled tergiversations involving writing, autobiography, linguistics, memory, death, gender and identity. On the nether hind, Angry Birds scratches that same itch!"

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-15-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well that's obvious that's why he carries 500 books on his phone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #35
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
If eInk departs and there isn't a non-backlit replacement, I'll quite reading and increase my reliance upon audiobooks for literature.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187954

Quote:
Reading is not a must have activity in my life.
Posted here in MobileRead Forums on his 8,725th post.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
jetBook Lite???
Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #37
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
jetBook Lite???
It is a non-backlit alternative to e-ink. With faster page turns and runs on
user replaceable AA batteries (about 30hrs of reading time per charge of a
set of NiMH rechargable batteries). Charging off-line means you never need
to wait for an internal battery to be recharged.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There will always be a dirt cheap, dedicated, eInk reader available (even if it's some rinky-dink drugstore model). Probably right up until the time drugstores begin selling dirt-cheap, rinky-dink tablets. I'm not all that stressed over market trends—even though eInk would be my personal preference. I simply don't have a need for "mobile computing."

(not that I think more tablets will be the cause of less readers, by any stretch of the imagination)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-15-2012 at 01:46 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #39
ccaajjaa
ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccaajjaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I read as much as poss & after spending all day working on the computer the last thing I want to do is use another backlit device to read on, my eyes ache enough from work use, also a huge advantage of having a kindle is that you can read it in the sun.
ccaajjaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It is a non-backlit alternative to e-ink. With faster page turns and runs on
user replaceable AA batteries (about 30hrs of reading time per charge of a
set of NiMH rechargable batteries). Charging off-line means you never need
to wait for an internal battery to be recharged.

Luck;
Ken
Ahhh... gotcha
Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #41
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Idiocracy, here we come!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #42
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
LCD has a long way to go to match the advantages of e-ink. If you want to go camping, and want to read, you will be a lot better off with an e-ink reader. It's lighter, and you will still have power by the time you get home. Sure, LCD displays may improve, but so will e-ink displays. E-ink is a young technology, it's barely gotten started.

Sooner or later, we'll be able to have poster-sized e-ink displays, which will drive digital photo frames off the market.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #43
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I don't see how a tablet would distract me from reading any more than a computer, a TV, phone, doorbell or the occasional need to socialize with real live people.

Speaking for myself, I read when I want to read. I may stop reading and play a game, or even to sleep, but that is because I want to stop reading. Theoretically I never want to stop reading, but as I have gotten older, I find 100 pages at a go is often my limit.

IMO both tablets and Eink readers will continue to increase ebook sales for a while yet.

Those who want to read have generally managed to read without either, and those who don't want to read will not want to read any more than they ever did.

The big market increase is possibly due to those who like to read, but could not find time to go to a bookstore or library. Now it is so easy to get the book you want when you want it, and fairly convenient to always have a reading device with you, many of us are like kids in a candy store.

Ebook sales will eventually level out to some extent, but why should they decline? If I want to read I read, if I want to play a game I play a game. Nothing different for me that using a tablet to read sometimes has changed.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #44
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
LCD has a long way to go to match the advantages of e-ink. If you want to go camping, and want to read, you will be a lot better off with an e-ink reader. It's lighter, and you will still have power by the time you get home. Sure, LCD displays may improve, but so will e-ink displays. E-ink is a young technology, it's barely gotten started.

Sooner or later, we'll be able to have poster-sized e-ink displays, which will drive digital photo frames off the market.
Soon I think we will have large lightweight multifunction displays (TV, Monitor, panoramic vistas, photoframes etc.) that we can hang up using transmitted power or very long life batteries. Makes my head hurt to think about it, but would still like to see it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #45
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
So, does this mean that eInk devices are the new hard covers, and tablets/smartphones are the new paperbacks?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote