Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #61
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Crafter: There was a bug that caused older Kindles to not recognize KF8 mobi files as mobi. Probably the same bug caused your issue. It is fixed for the next calibre release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #62
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Strether: The next calibre release will have a workaround for the Kindle Touch black pages bug (at least for the Kim book, there may be other ways that bug is triggerred).
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #63
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Strether: The next calibre release will have a workaround for the Kindle Touch black pages bug (at least for the Kim book, there may be other ways that bug is triggerred).
Thanks for letting me know, Kovid. I'm looking forward to trying the new release.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #64
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Crafter: I tried sending a kf8 file created with kindlegen via email. It worked, but the file that was delivered by Amazon was the MOBI 6 version. It appears amazon's personal documents service doesn't support KF8 as yet. I haven't been able to figure out why amazon doesn't do the same with calibre produced KF8. I suspect we will just have to wait until amazon updates their personal document service.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #65
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Kovid, one question -

I just installed calibre .50 and converted some of my created ePubs into azw3 (KF8) files and pushed them onto a Kindle Touch. When opening the files and comparing them to their mobi equivalents two things became apparent.

- The linespacing options on the Kindle Touch show different line spacing results. While on a mobi file the line spacing options are more closely together, on the azw3 they are further apart witch allows for bigger line spacing (wo modifying the src) altogether which is somewhat appealing. You thoughts on the metter of differing line spacing? Its the Kindles interpreter thats responsible i reckon? Not some css line?

- Alltogether not appealing ist the second one. On mobi files when you formated a text with justify, there is a maximum length that a space between words would not exceed. If the specific line therefore would not be long enough to fill the entire width, there would be a little gap on the right side of the page - but more important the spaces would not be stretched to a point where it would distract fom the reading process. With azw3 files this is gone altogether. Lines are always stretched to fit the width, when justify formating is applied. Again. The Kindles interpreter, or something that could be influenced by css? And if so - how,

I would really like to disable this behaviour for azw3 files - at least if I decide to. This only becomes a problem, because the Kindle still doesn't support hyphenation in any form (probably because of the language specific rules).

Last edited by notimp; 05-04-2012 at 06:11 PM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #66
Crafter
Crafter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini
Kovid -- thank you so much for your great program and your ongoing support! I updated Calibre today, reinstalled the tweak, sent a simple text KF8 file emailed to Amazon to my K3 and again, received their "The following document could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified...." I side loaded this same document to my K3 via Calibre directly (very handy tool, indeed!) -- I had tried a tweak, so the only mobi type surviving should have been a KF8, and the KF8 works perfectly on the K3, so the problem seems to be with Amazon at the moment. My K3, though an older Kindle model, seems to not have a problem with KF8 reading correctly.

One interesting bug in the Kindle for PC (new version 1.9.3) regarding the KF8 is that the document will sometimes go into "stuck mode." When using the page advance it will go into a loop between two locations and not advance. I've had consistant problems with Kindle for PC being buggy.
Crafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter View Post
Kovid -- thank you so much for your great program and your ongoing support! I updated Calibre today, reinstalled the tweak, sent a simple text KF8 file emailed to Amazon to my K3 and again, received their "The following document could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified...." I side loaded this same document to my K3 via Calibre directly (very handy tool, indeed!) -- I had tried a tweak, so the only mobi type surviving should have been a KF8, and the KF8 works perfectly on the K3, so the problem seems to be with Amazon at the moment. My K3, though an older Kindle model, seems to not have a problem with KF8 reading correctly.
The Kindle 3 does not have KF8 support. I imagine that Calibre would probably have converted it to Mobi before sending it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle 3 does not have KF8 support. I imagine that Calibre would probably have converted it to Mobi before sending it.
Or the K3 is reading the Mobi part of the file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #69
InsulinJunkie72
Enthusiast
InsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
The linespacing options on the Kindle Touch show different line spacing results. While on a mobi file the line spacing options are more closely together, on the azw3 they are further apart witch allows for bigger line spacing
That's the Kindle Touch's KF8 renderer's default spacing. Files created with KindleGen/Kindle Previewer exhibit the same behavior.

Currently the LINE-HEIGHT property isn't supported on the Touch, so adjusting via CSS (rather than manually via the Font menu) doesn't even work.
InsulinJunkie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #70
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have to reinstall the tweak with the new version in order to get a KF8 book? Not clear in the announcement of the new version. I merely refers to a tweak maybe being necessary if you have problems getting a workable version of the book.

Jim
Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Do you have to reinstall the tweak with the new version in order to get a KF8 book? Not clear in the announcement of the new version. I merely refers to a tweak maybe being necessary if you have problems getting a workable version of the book.

Jim
I just checked and the tweak is in place after the update.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #72
Strether
Guru

Jon, is that because you left the tweak in place when you installed the new version?

Jim

Edit: I ask, because I don't see it in the tweaks section of my new version. If I'm not mistaken, there is a new tweak in there, but it has something to do with Epub.

Last edited by Strether; 05-04-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #73
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
@InsulinJunkie72: Thanks for the confirmation and the clarification of line-height not being supported.

I just embarked on a CSS3 crash course and as far as i can see the new justify behaviour seems to be standard compliant. Full width expansion (on text-align justify) regardless of the increase of word-spacing (quadruple, quintuple the normal spacing, why not?!) seems to be the default. It may or may not be reigned in by the new word-spacing property which can be set to {(optimum) min max}, but I just tried it to no avail in an azw3 (checked with the Kindle Previewer).

This is a HUGE oversight on Amazons part if it turnes out to be true. There are languages (take German for example) where the average wordlength is higher than in english, combine it with the fact that the Kindle still doesn't support hyphanation, and top it off with the new KF8 behavior of just expanding word-spacing without any limits just to get the text justified over the full width of the page, and you end up with a not at all pleasant to read textlayout...

*facepalm*

Last edited by notimp; 05-04-2012 at 06:15 PM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #74
Strether
Guru

I reinstalled the tweak and converted "Kim" and the black page artifact problem was not longer there. It does have the line space problem reported by notimp above, though, so that you have to change that option on your Kindle Touch. I tried converting a regular mobi file using the tweak on another book and got the same line space problem.

It would be a real nuisance having to change the space setting on each novel, so I've deleted the tweak for now. When I did that on the mobi file novel, the line spacing went back to "normal".

Jim
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've read elsewhere that the line-space is larger then it should be. I think it was 200%.