Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #181
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Must be a southern thing, because I do not know a single man in my town that does not have at least one pocket knife on them.
There's a pretty good bet my I'm further south than you are ... but I assume I know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Same here. Having at least a basic pocket knife is important, because you'd be surprised how often you need it and don't even realize it. [...] Anyhow, any well prepared person is going to always have a knife on their person.
This conversation just begs for a Simpons quote - but I guess you all probably know the episode I mean. "Thanks to the knife!"

I must tell all those computer geeks I know that they need to replace all those screwdrivers they carry with knives. Sure there is a retractable blade knife in my computer tool kit and there's a sheath-knife in my mechanical toolkit ... and I don't carry either of those kits with me everywhere I go ... and you know what? You're right, I've never realised I needed it (the knife) ... although I always put that down to not actually needing it. Silly me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
The string comes from the fact that any well trained outdoorsman is going to always have at least a small spool of string in their pockets, or a paracord bracelet for those situations where string is needed in an emergency, or just as part of your normal day. Farmers always have at least a little string tucked in their pants pockets at all times because quite often they'll have need of it and no way to go get any. So having some in your pocket is important.
Working around cows we had plenty of string on hand - cut from around bales of hay, but we rarely carried it on our person. Why not? Well most work we did around the farm we did via the motorbike or the ute, and that's where we kept our stock of wire and hay-band and the shovel and all those other things that are always handy around the farm but you'd fall over trying to carry them all at once. A knife in the pocket? Sure, with you there. But a "spool of string" when you're working on the farm. What a laugh. A length of hay-band looped over the roo-bar is always handy, but anything fine enough to be called a spool is for fiddly stuff back in the house.

Last edited by gmw; 05-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #182
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
There's a pretty good bet my I'm further south than you are ... but I assume I know what you mean.

LOL! Sorry. We just refer to the region I live in as "the south" Even if you are due west of it, (or heck even south-west) we still call it "the south" so... tend to forget in international forums not everyone knows that local label.

Besides... you carry a knife, and your in the south (globally) so case rested.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #183
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
People vary but I agree on carrying a folding knife constantly. Tools help separate us from animals (I know, some chimps use sticks yadda, yadda) and a knife is one of the most useful. You could say a hammer is just as necessary but many things can stand in for a hammer (including the butt of a Ka-Bar). Not so many for a knife.

Not everyone around me carries one so guess who always hands his over to open or cut stuff? I don't figure it is regional thing but I'm not sure what it is, exactly. Boy-Scout-ness?

I love the idea of mutitools, own several, yet still carry just a knife consistently. And 440C steel is fine for my everyday do-everything blade.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #184
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Knitters, weavers, and handspinners often have odd pieces of string on their person, along with something to cut said string. We also carry various pointy objects around with us, not always in a pocket but close by in a bag or pouch. (Double-pointed needles, anyone?)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #185
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Not everyone around me carries one so guess who always hands his over to open or cut stuff? I don't figure it is regional thing but I'm not sure what it is, exactly. Boy-Scout-ness?
It's no doubt one of the most ancient and handy tools. Still, if all you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. I can't think of any situation in my daily routine where I'd be stuck thinking: "You know, a knife would be handy enough right now..."

Something far more useful to me would be an extra mobile battery...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #186
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
It's no doubt one of the most ancient and handy tools. Still, if all you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. I can't think of any situation in my daily routine where I'd be stuck thinking: "You know, a knife would be handy enough right now..."

Something far more useful to me would be an extra mobile battery...
Really? I have used mine to remove screens, jimmy doors.. and umm.... ever mind...
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #187
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the point is that if a random person is out for a stroll, and suspects the apocalypse is going to hit while they're out, then the chances are they'll be hardly able to stand under the weight of the backpack. But if they're just out strolling, without thought for the end of the world (shame on them), then what such a random person is likely to have in their pockets is going to vary greatly.

In some places, so I've read, there's a good chance there'll be a handgun in those pockets or handbag. Some sort of clasp knife is not unlikely, but - depending on where this person is, how they grew up etc. etc. etc. - it is far from a given. Same goes for pens, string, wire, screwdrivers. Even the apparently ubiquitous mobile phone is not guaranteed - I don't carry one when walking near my home, they don't work here.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #188
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Carrying a knife is a basic part of the human toolset and I'm wouldn't live anywhere that that is restricted to a ridiculous degree.
Agreed, and I'm originally a true Yankee, though I now live much farther south than just about all of you, apart from the Aussie.

I've carried a folding knife of one kind or another since I was about 7 years old and that was 50 years ago. The only times I don't carry one today are when I am entering Federal and State buildings (it stays in the car) and when I am entering airports (it ends up in my checked baggage to be retrieved after the flight).

As for preparations ... I think the most practical bet for most people is to develop an Every Day Carry (EDC) toolset that you can keep handy at all times and a secure shelter where you can store basic supplies (food, water, medical, fire) for a reasonable period of time (a year??) in the event of an emergency without drawing the unwarranted attention of your neighbors. I think most people would find preparing for TEOTWAWKI to be just overwhelming ...
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #189
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
[...]I think most people would find preparing for TEOTWAWKI to be just overwhelming ...
I've been trying to work out if I should be sitting on my hands with this one ... I have an awful feeling that carrying on this aspect of the thread probably belongs in the P&R subforum. To try and tackle this non-politically: Is there really a lot of point in preparing for TEOTWAWKI?

Almost by definition:

* We don't know how that end will come so we don't know what sorts of things (and knowledge) we'll need. What's the point of storing food and water when there are reasonable odds that there will be a surplus in any situation we're likely to survive (not to mention knives, guns and string).

* We don't know who will survive. The assumption is generally - as I read it - that for TEOTWAWKI to happen that survival will be less than 1 in a 100. Paying significant amounts of money betting that you're going to be in that group of survivors doesn't seem like great odds - especially when you consider my first point. (And bear in mind that this advice is coming from an Aussie. )

* A bit of bush knowledge (or practice at being an "outsdoorsman") is probably not a bad idea if you live near the bush/outdoors. Such skills are potentially useful even if the TEOTWAWKI doesn't happen! But, if you live in the city (which, let's face it, covers a pretty good percentage of people), then such skills are going to do you less good, come TEOTWAWKI, than say lock-picking and other burglary skills - to gain access to all those surplus items.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #190
VydorScope
Wizard

Well kind of depends how it happens but in running through a few possibilities in my head I would guess that the cities would have the lowest survival rates. Great target for war/invasion, great place to spread super-flu, and etc.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #191
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
A length of hay-band looped over the roo-bar is always handy, but anything fine enough to be called a spool is for fiddly stuff back in the house.
That must be a regional thing, because around here farmers aren't near their vehicles as much as in your case. My uncle only hauls out the tractors or four wheelers when grabbing food or plowing the fields, as everything he needs is within easy walking distance most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I love the idea of mutitools, own several, yet still carry just a knife consistently. And 440C steel is fine for my everyday do-everything blade.
Actually, I've begun carrying a multitool in place of a knife. My multitool has a good knife on it, plus it has the 20 other things on it I need periodically as well, and in a survival situation, they're a ton better to have than just a knife alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
I think most people would find preparing for TEOTWAWKI to be just overwhelming ...
Well, it depends on how you view that change. For some, going back to basics is worse than death. For others it's an adventure. In fact, I know a few people who'd jump at the chance to live like our ancestors. Of course, then you've got people like the Amish who already live like that and deal incredibly well with disasters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Well kind of depends how it happens but in running through a few possibilities in my head I would guess that the cities would have the lowest survival rates. Great target for war/invasion, great place to spread super-flu, and etc.
I fully agree. On top of that, urban and rural survival are two whole different animals and need to be handled in uniquely different ways. Really, a fully rounded survivalist (or just an average joe) needs to know both as they can find themselves in either environment when disaster strikes. But in the end, a knife or multi-tool is ubiquitously useful in both locations. Of course, a gun doesn't hurt either, but if you can't carry that, at least have a knife.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #192
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://news.yahoo.com/going-without-...opstories.html

You guys were talking about how the SCA people would do really good in a survival situation? Well check out this guy. He's already living the lifestyle and doing pretty good at it.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #193
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Training available here: http://www.lynxvilden.com/

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #194
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Training available here: http://www.lynxvilden.com/

That I might do! If I had the money and time LOL
Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #195
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2012/05/0...of-the-day-23/

Once again my prediction that survival and apocalyptic fiction are huge right now, they just added another show this fall about a post apocalyptic world where everyone's back to living without the normal creature comforts. This includes no electricity. Lights, phones, cars, etc. Thought you guys might want to track this show as I think it'll give some good meat for any S/A writing you might be doing.