Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #166
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... do you read thread titles, or responses to your questions?

1. This thread is clearly for K4 and K5, not for K3.
2. geekmaster replied in your other thread. "No soldering to a K3 circuit board, and no need to remove the back cover. It has an external serial port connector in the lower slot on the left edge."
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #167
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... do you read thread titles, or responses to your questions?

1. This thread is clearly for K4 and K5, not for K3.
2. geekmaster replied in your other thread. "No soldering to a K3 circuit board, and no need to remove the back cover. It has an external serial port connector in the lower slot on the left edge."
Perhaps our current (and old) Kindle model names are not clear to all, so here they are:

Kindle model names used in this forum:
DX : 9.7-inch eink, white bezel, 2.x firmware (unofficial 3.x upgrade)
DXG: 9.7-inch Pearl eink, graphite (dark gray) bezel, 2.x firmware (unofficial 3.x upgrade)
K3: Kindle 3 Keyboard, 6-inch Pearl eink, graphite (or white) bezel, 3.x firmware
K4: Kindle 4 Mini, 6-inch Pearl eink, dark silver bezel, 4.x firmware
K5: Kindle 5 Touch, 6-inch Pearl eink, dark silver bezel, 5.x firmware
K3G: alternate name for K3 with 3G.
K3w: old name for K3 wifi-only.
K4NT: old name for K4, when people were confused by K4 and K5 released close together.
Touch: old name for K5.
KT: old name for K5.

I hope that this clears up any potential confusion.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #168
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Sorry.I write there first then i come here to read this thread.
I just view geekmaster reply.
Because k3 k4nt k4 is a series product.so i think maybe it can be used in k3.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #169
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyou2 View Post
Sorry.I write there first then i come here to read this thread.
I just view geekmaster reply.
Because k3 k4nt k4 is a series product.so i think maybe it can be used in k3.
The K3 does not have a diagnostics partition (mmcblk0p2). For SSH you need to install the usbnetwork hack for your model, available from the sticky at the top of this forum.

For debricking, the only current solution is the external serial port as shown in the video.

Later, somebody may provide a "USB Downloader" debricking method, but that is not being worked on at this time, as far as I know.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #170
Dweia
Dweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Here is the RUNME.sh that I used to dump out a lot of useful information to gmdiags.log on the USB Drive. It might help you diagnose the problem with your main partition:
suggested addition to that "gmdiags.log" script:

Code:
lipc-probe -v -a|grep -v "^\sw\s"
This should list all "lips properties" that are readable. The grep removes the "write-only" properties - it might in some cases be interesting to see those too, but without knowing what format the parameters take, a bit hard to use... (for example there's a property touchScreenSaverTimeout of type Int in com.lab126.powerd - but does it take minutes, seconds or microseconds as parameter?? etc...)

A few parameters are listed as "readable" or "read/writable" but lipc-probe still throws an error "WARNING: Failed to get value" - not sure why.

Greetings,
Dweia
Dweia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #171
ItsMee
ItsMee began at the beginning.

Help, pls - Kindle Brick - not booting Diag??

Hi,

after upgrading my Kindle Touch to 5.1.0 I had my screensavers disappearing. Doing several factory resets & trying to understand why I got stuck during reboot. I'm not aware of doing real bad stuff like replacing / changing files I shouldn't have, so unfortunatly there is little help in explanation.

I understood that Diag mode can be triggert in almost every situation, so I'm stunned that i got it messed up that bad w/o much effort :-(

Is such situation known / any hints?
- Kindle stays on initial 'Person below tree' screen
- Reset (20 sec power) shows a short refresh, afterwards tree again
- Orange light when attached to PC.
- Shows disk w/o partition on Windows (Loading battery)
- Battery shouldn't be heaviliy discharged.

For recovery I tried:
1) Download KindleSelectBoot from first post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

2) Started diag (see 16sec video), HID recognized, diag uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MstP1fMrrD4

3) Kindle stuck with tree again, H:\ appears but is inaccessible in Windows.. :-(

Recommendations highly welcome. No important content on Kindle, so flashing 'good root' is a good option, but requires Diag mode. How to get there?

THANKS!
ItsMee
ItsMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #172
geekmaster

Actually, it DOES sound like a low battery. In this condition the battery charging does not work right. I suggest booting to fastboot mode with MfgTool and leaving it connected to charge for several hours before trying again.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #173
ItsMee

Tried charging over night, as that didn't make a difference I replaced the battery with a fully charged one.

Independed on the mode selected (fastboot, diag, main) the device is stuck on the intial tree picture without any further progress. USB drive doesn't become visible..

:-(
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #174
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMee View Post
Tried charging over night, as that didn't make a difference I replaced the battery with a fully charged one.

Independed on the mode selected (fastboot, diag, main) the device is stuck on the intial tree picture without any further progress. USB drive doesn't become visible..

:-(
Can you get the display to change at all? If not, is the display cable plugged in correctly?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #175
ItsMee

When reseting or after submitting via MfgTool there is a screen refresh happening (screen going black, building up tree again), but afterwards nothing more happens on the display.

ItsMee
Old 05-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #176
geekmaster

Quote:
When reseting or after submitting via MfgTool there is a screen refresh happening (screen going black, building up tree again), but afterwards nothing more happens on the display.

ItsMee
Did you try flashing the diags_ssh partition from fastboot?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #177
ItsMee

>Did you try flashing the diags_ssh partition from fastboot?

Do you have an advice how to do that? When selecting fastboot I also get stuck at the tree symbole - not sure how I'd flash from there? Really appreciated.

ItsMee
Old 05-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #178
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
>Did you try flashing the diags_ssh partition from fastboot?

Do you have an advice how to do that? When selecting fastboot I also get stuck at the tree symbole - not sure how I'd flash from there? Really appreciated.

ItsMee
Stuck on tree or any picture or text is not problem in fastboot mode.
In fastboot is nothing written to display and last wrote picture stay there, even if you are successfully in fastboot.

How to flash diags with ssh is described here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #179
ItsMee

Hi,

thanks - I'm getting a bit of hope again - thought I lost my kindle. However, I'm still not ready to go - hope you can give me 1-2 hints. The thread ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929 ) looks good, but it recommends to use linux (np).

a) I found SelectBoot described for Windows only - how to enable in linux?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

b) I'd compile fastboot from here to get an executable?
https://github.com/yifanlu/Fastboot-Kindle

c) Seems http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle...0p2_ssh.img.gz is no longer available, I'd need that, I guess?

Sorry - to many questions - feel a bit dump...

ItsMee
Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #180
geekmaster

I see that the files were renamed to prevent confusion with other firmware version. You can the renamed diags ssh image here:

http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/

You do not need to compile fastboot. You can download binaries ready to go at the "simple debricking" sticky. There is win32 fastboot so you can stay in windows using MfgTool then fastboot for windows.

Some posts were made before the win32 fastboot was provided, but the first post is mostly current and correct.

EDIT: You would not have had this problem if you downloaded the image from the forensic images link in the "simple debricking" sticky. That "mmcblk0p2_ssh.img.gz" has been downloaded hundreds of times and is still available at the link provided there.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-11-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Tags
debricking, kindle mx50 select boot