Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Anoka-Hennepin teachers write their own online textbook, save district $175,000

This seems something like open source. But with knowledge instead of code.
And so it begins the disruption of the textbook industry.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...ine-Textbooks/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
...And right next door too. I knew there was a reason I put up with these blasted winters.

That's awesome. Glad to see this moving into the education world.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
cheers it's also a good way for teachers to review and expand their own knowledge
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Wow. That is definitely not good news for the textbook publishers.

That is one of those things that really distinguishes a top grade teacher from the ones who are just marking time. I wonder what kind of review and approval process they've set up? The example given - Math classes - are pretty standard. Calculus isn't really open to teacher bias.

But .... history, literature, biology (the eternal evolution debate), government/sociology - those have some real minefields to tip toe through.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
jackeychen
jackeychen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for share.
jackeychen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Many districts in Texas already use an online service called CSCOPE that is aligned with the state's essential knowledge and skills (what they are required to teach) and use fewer textbooks. The math classes do not use textbooks, but English classes use books with the stories the lessons are based on (copyright issues, and 'why pay for something that is readily available already in the schools?')

I'm not sure about history or other subjects. Neither of the two science teachers I work with use CSCOPE, but that might just be their choice, I know one hasn't taken the time to go through it. I think it is up to the school and maybe the department heads and individual teachers.

Definite trouble for textbook publishers in Texas with this direction opening up. Especially since the curriculum is updated at least once a year.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Wow. That is definitely not good news for the textbook publishers.

That is one of those things that really distinguishes a top grade teacher from the ones who are just marking time. I wonder what kind of review and approval process they've set up? The example given - Math classes - are pretty standard. Calculus isn't really open to teacher bias.

But .... history, literature, biology (the eternal evolution debate), government/sociology - those have some real minefields to tip toe through.
Screw the textbook publishers. I'm still pissed about averaging $600 every 12 weeks for my engineering books; especially when all the stuff in the first two years was math/physics that's been known for over a century.

As far as reviewing, isn't that the state's job? They ensure public schools are teaching the required courses in the required manner, covering the required nuggets of information to be certified.

No school is going to even come close to risking their accreditation, as it's too much of a selling point.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Good on them. Textbooks are way overpriced.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That's really cool. Good on them. I still can't believe just how expensive textbooks are.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
This is pretty cool. While it might be tricker to do for civics or history texts, it would be worth trying - maybe distribute separate chapter to interested teachers. (It's more complicated because high school history teachers aren't necessarily researchers, and there is always the danger of plagiarism).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think eventually more institutions will either write their own or move to Open Textbooks.

Here are some web sites that already offer free textbooks:

http://www.flatworldknowledge.com - free, open, editable textbooks

http://opencontent.org/ocwfinder/ - open courseware finder

http://bookboon.com/ - free textbooks, business books and travel guides
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Many districts in Texas already use an online service called CSCOPE that is aligned with the state's essential knowledge and skills (what they are required to teach) and use fewer textbooks. The math classes do not use textbooks, but English classes use books with the stories the lessons are based on (copyright issues, and 'why pay for something that is readily available already in the schools?')

I'm not sure about history or other subjects. Neither of the two science teachers I work with use CSCOPE, but that might just be their choice, I know one hasn't taken the time to go through it. I think it is up to the school and maybe the department heads and individual teachers.

Definite trouble for textbook publishers in Texas with this direction opening up. Especially since the curriculum is updated at least once a year.
yes they were doing that when i moved from san angelo up to wisconsin
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Good for them. I'm still pissed off over what my textbooks cost back in the 1970s!

In all fairness, dealing with textbooks is an enormously people-intensive endeavor for a publisher. But as with all publishing, new alternatives are emerging that are changing the business.

I'm concerned that decentralizing textbook content will result in a Balkanization of education, so that someone educated in California has a vastly different education than someone who goes to school in Texas. Vastly different, to the point of living in different realities.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Good for them. I'm still pissed off over what my textbooks cost back in the 1970s!

In all fairness, dealing with textbooks is an enormously people-intensive endeavor for a publisher. But as with all publishing, new alternatives are emerging that are changing the business.

I'm concerned that decentralizing textbook content will result in a Balkanization of education, so that someone educated in California has a vastly different education than someone who goes to school in Texas. Vastly different, to the point of living in different realities.

The US had what you are calling "Balkanized Education" before. It caused us to become international leaders.

The old system of unpaid schoolboards detirmining curriculae produced exponentially better results than the current system of overpaid, centralized bureaucrats performing that function. Maybe that is because the local doctors, engineers, chemists, carpenters, mechanics, and business owners know more about what knowledge is needed to accomplish things than academics with Phds in education.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Only problem with that is that the textbook exactly matches the teacher.

I think that the textbook should present the same material in a different form, so that students get a second point of view.

Otherwise, I applaud the project and hope to see much more of it.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote