Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
HP's 16GB TouchPad on sale for $99

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/l...n-sale-for-99/

A cheap full-featured tablet with no official future, but perhaps the online development communities can change that.

Kindle on Touchpad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09SyZzu9TZ4

Last edited by lost101; 08-20-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Touchpad / Kindle video added
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If anyone ever develops an android build for this, it'll be the deal of the century. I'm already running an android hacked phone and looking forward to the Amazon tablets. I think my life would be better with something more stable for a tablet. Otherwise I might gamble on this becoming a hacker favorite.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This post should have probably gone in the "Deals" section since this is not really Android related ..... well not until David's reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
If anyone ever develops an android build for this, it'll be the deal of the century. I'm already running an android hacked phone and looking forward to the Amazon tablets. I think my life would be better with something more stable for a tablet. Otherwise I might gamble on this becoming a hacker favorite.
At $99 you bet some hacker is going to pick up a few and start a port.

And so here goes the port effort Android for the HP Touchpad

I think the port effort is going to be a little harder than other efforts, the Touchpad uses a dual core snapdragon. Also since HC has not been released it will have to be a GB/HC hybrid.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-21-2011 at 01:58 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Ice Cream Sandwich is due out soon. Hopefully it will be released to the community from the start. Until then, most of the work they do might be at the linux kernel level and easily transfer over.

There could be a lot of waiting, and you never know how far a project like that will get in terms of features and stability before it is abandoned, but one slickdeals thread I saw on the topic had 8000 comments before it even made it to the frontpage. I suppose a number of them could be looking for a nice internet appliance (and webos should excel there), but it will also make for a nice userbase for the right hacker group.

$100 for this hardware isn't the sort of option that would come up often.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I have no doubt that there's going to be some kind of mod project to get Android on this. Especially at the price.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Anybody know a supplier in the US that sells them at this price and who will ship to Europe they are still over $600 here.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Hey, I got my money back. USD 349.01. This really is the deal of the century. And WebOS rocks, years ahead of Android and IOS. Too bad a few things are still missing. Well, perhaps a future double boot Android/WebOS will take care of it. I will try to get my hands on a few more. Great gift item, too.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm expecting HP to cancel my order. It's been in limbo since Saturday.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm expecting HP to cancel my order. It's been in limbo since Saturday.
Check the website, they have a special link for those who ordered from the SMB site on August 20 and 21.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Check the website, they have a special link for those who ordered from the SMB site on August 20 and 21.
Can't find it.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard

http://www.hp.com/united-states/webo...ilability.html

On the right, under HP Small and Medium Business Customers ..... "please click here"
Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
http://www.hp.com/united-states/webo...ilability.html

On the right, under HP Small and Medium Business Customers ..... "please click here"
Thanks; but it really doesn't tell me anything of significance.

Quote:
Your order has been captured and you should receive a confirmation over the next 48 hours.
48 hours from when? That message isn't dated. Besides, I already received an order confirmation shortly after I ordered on the 20th.

Oh well...