Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
vsviridov
vsviridov began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Question is there a way to install a custom dictionary

Hello all,

Is there a way to install a custom dictionary on the device?
I'm studying Esperanto, and having a dictionary would help a lot.

I assume they'd use some linux-friendly dictionary format, so I might convert some existing dictionary into something supported by my reader.

Thanks.
vsviridov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Not yet. But probably in a couple of month.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
kartu : will it be usable while reading a book, like the "built-in" dictionaries, or will it be a separate application ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On 600/x50 usable "like built-in", on 300/505 we'll see.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Oh like built-in, nice. Is there any discussion about it in the dev forum or elsewhere ? I'm curious on how you achieved that (creating your own MSD file, or adding some code to manage other dictionary formats).
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author

There is no discussion. It's all plans. It will be a separate "app".
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
vsviridov
vsviridov began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
What is the format of the dictionaries currently shipping with the device?
I have the dutch-english and english-dutch dictionaries there, which are useless to me. Why not simply replace one of those? However, knowing Sony, they probably encrypted that stuff out the wazoo...
vsviridov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
I'd love a Latin-English dictionary, myself. I read a lot of books which have Latin quotes, and while I did study Latin years ago, it's only a vague memory at this point
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
yurivs
yurivs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-350SC
Portuguese

I need so much a portuguese "built-in" dictionary on PRS-350!
yurivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
Akumanggo
Akumanggo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs 350, amazone kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Not yet. But probably in a couple of month.
Hi Kartu

I am using Sony PRS 350 and enjoying for your firmware. There are some improvement I thanks to you compare than original firmware.

There is other firmware that using Stardict format for dictionary. But this firmare is so slow when reading a book compare than yours.

Is the Custom Dictionary now available for your firmware ? What kind of dictionary format allow us to add for Sony PRS 350 ? Is possible Stardict format on Sony PRS 350 ?

Thanks Kartu
Akumanggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #11
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Kartu answered a view inches above. There will/can/could be the possibibility for custom dic's in a couple of months.

I for my part use this method:

I have a dic (PDF) on my reader. When searching a word I'll open it with a single tap onto the right upper corner of the screen from within the book I'm reading. I have to search for the word manually. Switching back to the book I'm reading goes the same way - tapping onto the right upper corner of the screen.

I use my own cutom build PRS+ for my PRS350 which makes that possible. You could give it a try (have a look at my signature at the bottom of this posting).

To make it function you would have to

1) install my custom firmware ('ZORK-Edition')
2) use a PDF-file as dic
3) rename the dic to DIC.pdf
4) copy this file onto the reader in /Books/DIC.pdf (into the folder named 'Books')
5) assign the right action to the 'single tap' in PRS+ options

I'm working on the possibility to use at least 2 different dic-files (PDF and EPUB)

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 04-15-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #12
Akumanggo

[QUOTE=Analogus;2043402]
I use my own cutom build PRS+ for my PRS350 which makes that possible. You could give it a try (have a look at my signature at the bottom of this posting).

Hi Analogus.
Thanks for your quick reply.
So the dictionary on PDF format then. First I have to create the dictionary on PDF format ?
Anyway I will try your firmware. I ll let you know later, brother.
Thank you very much.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #13
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, you have to use a PDF (EPUB will be possible in future). Besides, it does not have to be a dic - any kind of literature goes. Regard this function as a quick possibility to toggle between two books.

To be fair: the basic function comes from TERISA. I included it slightly altered in my custom build.

If you try my software don't be surprised - it looks different (other icons) and brings a couple of new features.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 04-15-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #14
Akumanggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post

1) install my custom firmware ('ZORK-Edition')
2) use a PDF-file as dic
3) rename the dic to DIC.pdf
4) copy this file onto the reader in /Books/DIC.pdf (into the folder named 'Books')
5) assign the right action to the 'single tap' in PRS+ options

I'm working on the possibility to use at least 2 different dic-files (PDF and EPUB)

A.
Hi Analogus
I downloaded your firmware but failed to get into my device. I have been trying many times as your steps above. I just copy the PRSPInstaller folder on the root memory, and restart the device.

I have tried using the PRS + , and succeded.
Other step : I copy and paste your PRSPInstaller to Update Folder, restart, but still could not get it.

Give me advice would you please, brother ?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #15
Analogus
Fanatic

Akumanggo:

Normally it should work.
If you never have installed PRS+, install it first. Restart your reader.

Now a important point:

If you install PRS+ and do NOT restart one or two times, there could arise a problem. Restart once more, copy once more the installer-folder onto your reader, restart again and it should work. If not, give feedback.

One more word:

Since yesterday a new version for the 350 is online with possibility to choose between PDF and EPUB for the DIC.

A.