Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer 4:3 or 16.9 aspect ratio - and why?
4:3 42 42.86%
16:9 31 31.63%
No preference 10 10.20%
Other - please explain 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #46
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I see a lot of comments from members about their dislike of the 16:9 aspect ratio on viewing devices. Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this dislike? Is it just a preference or ease-of-use issue for surfing the web or viewing web content or what?

My HDTV has 16.9 ratio, which I assume is better to view full 1920 X 1080 HD, so why wouldn't I want this ratio on *all* my devices?

What's all the fuss about aspect ratio on your devices. I am somewhat naive in this area so a simple explanation may make me see this controversy in a whole new light. Please enlighten me.
Before I vote I would like to ask a question.

Are we talking about TVs or ebook readers?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #47
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Before I vote I would like to ask a question.

Are we talking about TVs or ebook readers?
I was originally just asking about aspect ratios in general but I've noticed, as the thread progressed, that preferences are going to be different for video, ebook reader and computer displays.

The questions about aspect ratios on this board usually arise when discussing tablets (that can be used as ebook readers) or large ebook readers capable of displaying PDF's.

If you have different preferences for ebook readers and TVs I suggest you choose "Other" and post your preferences for each device.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #48
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Voted for "other".

For ebook readers 4:3 only. I feel comfortable to read on a screen with this aspect ration only. Probably 30 years of reading printed books left a long lasting vestige.

For watching TV - wide screen, whatever ratio it is.

For desktop PC monitor at home - wide screen 1920x1200 pixels. Anything with hight below 1200 won't suit. I want to see pictures in portrait mode in decent size. Thus, if it is not 1920x1200, then 4:3 (1600x1200)
Any other PC/laptop/netbook screens - wide screen whatever ratio it is.

I have noticed that I will never buy another netbook or a laptop with 10" screen (my netbook). Very uncomfortable. I don't need glasses to read on it, it is just flippingly small - unpleasant.
12" is probably the bare minimum. Most likely 13-14.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #49
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
9:16 (16:9 in portrait mode) is EXACTLY the aspect of the text on a mass market paperback
3:4 (most readers) chop off the bottom (assuming the margins have been relegated mostly to the Bezel area which just happens to be similar to the margins on said paperback)
Why muck with a aspect ratio that has been in use for 50+ years
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #50
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
9:16 (16:9 in portrait mode) is EXACTLY the aspect of the text on a mass market paperback
3:4 (most readers) chop off the bottom (assuming the margins have been relegated mostly to the Bezel area which just happens to be similar to the margins on said paperback)
Why muck with a aspect ratio that has been in use for 50+ years
Because it doesn't work for what I want to read - I don't care about aspect ratio for novels - but the game rulebooks and comics that don't reflow don't come in 9:16.

It all comes down to usage patterns - and 4:3 is better for mine than 16:9.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #51
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Because it doesn't work for what I want to read - I don't care about aspect ratio for novels - but the game rulebooks and comics that don't reflow don't come in 9:16.

Looking at the comics I own, 4:3 doesn't seem like the ideal ratio for comics either with 15:10 or 16:10 actually being a closer fit.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #52
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Looking at the comics I own, 4:3 doesn't seem like the ideal ratio for comics either with 15:10 or 16:10 actually being a closer fit.
Oh I agree, 4:3 isn't perfect for comics - though it can be pretty good for RPG rulebooks. The problem is that while 4:3 isn't perfect, 16:9 is significantly worse. The limiting factor is the smaller dimension, and with 16:9 that smaller dimension (width in portrait) is such that a "larger" screen actually limits you to a smaller image if you're preserving the aspect ratio of your original image.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #53
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post

you're a bit egoistical there. What about all those e-reader users who don't care about comics at all?

BTW, many comic books often feature panels and images getting across 2 pages. How will you cope with that?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #54
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
you're a bit egoistical there. What about all those e-reader users who don't care about comics at all?

BTW, many comic books often feature panels and images getting across 2 pages. How will you cope with that?
Isn't this thread about individual preferences? Why the need to account for others' preferences when we're discussing what works for us individually?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #55
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

very true, forgot the original purpose of the thread.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #56
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk

ZOMG! how has my Karma gone from 108 to 2390?!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #57
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

How is it egotistical for me to state that 4:3 is better for my uses than 16:9?

I'm not saying 4:3 is always better - merely that it's better for me because it fits the content I wish to consume better than 16:9 does. I agree that it works for two-page spreads, but since most screens are too small to display the captions legibly in that orientation, please forgive me if I find that advantage less than compelling.

All your points seem to be attempts to prove to me that 16:9 is better for me than 4:3, and I take exception to that.

Both aspect ratios have advantages and disadvantages, depending on content, and the one that works better for any given reader is the one that best fits the content they wish to consume.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #58
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Other, because each one serves a different purpose...
4:3 for multimonitor setup in console, 16:9 for movies, and 16:10 for computer monitors.
Funny thing is, the aspect ratio for my Droid X is something like 427:240 (854x480 resolution) and I do more reading on that than anything else except maybe my regular workstation monitors. Is it page-for-page flowable? No, but I know how to scroll too.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #59
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
I voted 'other' for the exact reasons stated above - 16:9 is great in landscape mode but lousy in portrait; on a multi-purpose tablet I don't want to be restricted to landscape, simple as that.
This.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #60
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
As others have opined, my preference depends on the application. 16:9 (if screen is wide enough to provide an easily viewable height) is very good for viewing video content. For reading, 4:3 seems better since it's more comfortable for the (my) eye to follow the content and skip from line to line if lines are in the 50-75 character/10-12 word range. Your experience may vary.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote