Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
bluerose
bluerose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Uninstall Calibre on a Mac?

Hi All,

I was having some problems with the latest release of Calibre hanging when I was trying to add books. I also had a lot of duplicates that I tried deleting through Calibre, only to see them still in the Calibre Library using Finder. So I deleted them from the Library (using Finder), only to see them back in Calibre. Frustrating.

SO I tried uninstalling (new to mac, but I dragged the icon in the Applications folder to the Trash). I also copied all my books out of the Calibre Library and put them in a new folder (Books). Then deleted the Calibre Library folder since that was still remaining.

I re-downloaded Calibre and I didn't have the setup wizard appear (which I was expecting). So I ran it myself and all my info was still there (device, kindle email address, alternate email). Another file also appeared when I tried to import a file from my new Books folder....one that I have already deleted from both the previous install of Calibre and the Calibre Library.

So my question, how do I do a complete uninstall? The program still seems to be hanging when I add certain files (The Alchemist, pdf, nothing complicated) so I wanted to do a fresh install. That, and the fact that deleted files keep popping up again......frustrating!

Any ideas :-S

Thanks in advance!
bluerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
You probably need to delete the calibre directory in "username"/Library/Preferences/ to get rid of everything.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
vkeios
vkeios began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Mac preferences are usually kept in various places in the Library directory in your home directory.

In Calibre's case. That'd be ~/Library/Preferences/calibre/ And ~/Library/Preferences/net.kovidgoyal.calibre.plist
vkeios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Also, empty the trash before installing the new version. Otherwise OS X may 'fix' shortcuts etc. so they point to stuff in the Trash.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
bluerose
bluerose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I tried deleting the files you mentioned (they were still remaining). Emptied the Trash, downloaded the software again, ran the Wizard and lo and behold, my name and email were already filled in....grrrr. Thanks for the suggestions...any more are very much appreciated!
bluerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
cariosity
cariosity began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
You could always use AppCleaner. It's free. Hope it works for you.
cariosity is offline   Reply With Quote