Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

View Poll Results: What sort of paragraph spacing do you prefer?
Wide spacing between paragraphs. 1 4.00%
Just a little bit of extra spacing between paragraphs. 12 48.00%
No extras pacing between paragraphs. Just like a printed book. 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
What sort of paragraph spacing do you prefer?

I am working on converting a large batch of ebooks from Microsoft Reader format to mobi for use on my Kindle. Typically, I convert from lit to epub using Calibre so that I can cleanup and edit using the awesome Sigil editor, then I use Calibre again to perform a final conversion from epub to mobi.

My question, and this is more of an opinion poll I guess, concerns that paragraph spacing. When I convert from lit to epub, there is a pretty fair amount of space between paragraphs. Actually, it's technically not a space but a large top margin for the next paragraph. Without this large space, the paragraphs are closer together and the ebook has more of a traditional, printed book look to it. I've heard a lot of people mention that they prefer these extra-wide spaces between the paragraphs though.

I'm sort of curious how you guys prefer your spacing and what some of your reasons are. I'm anxious to see some of your responses.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
- Byron Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry guys,

I didn't look closely enough before I posted this one. There've been at least two other polls on this same, exact subject. Please disregard this one. I'll go look there and see what the results of the previous polls were. I seriously doubt they've changed all that much in the past couple of years.

- Byron
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I can read faster when the paragraphs aren't a monolithic block. When I take a break from reading, a well defined paragraph helps me to return to the place where I left off.

I find the same problem with paragraphs that are fully justified, left and right. My eye can track better when the right side is naturally uneven.

Others fined the straight line up of text on both sides better. I don't think that either group will be able to understand the others viewpoint.

================================================== ============================

"I didn't look closely enough before I posted this one. There've been at least two other polls on this same, exact subject."

Unless this subject is covered under a different heading I couldn't find it. If you can post a link I'll move it over

Last edited by SameOldStory; 10-27-2010 at 08:13 PM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Where are the links to the other polls? I'm a bit curious myself.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Where are the links to the other polls? I'm a bit curious myself.
Well, I can seem to find only one other one now. The other one is out there somewhere though. Here's the one I was able to locate:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45384

- Byron
Advert