Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
LaniM
LaniM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Registering the Kindle outside the US

I just got my kindle 3 today (I'm in New Zealand) and loaded a few ebooks on there and now I want to create collections but the option is greyed out (not to mention the top left hand corner says "My Kindle". I saw a previous thread in here that the kindle must be registered so I went onto Amazon and I saw that the kindle is already in my account, plus I purchased a couple of ebooks from Amazon earlier tonight and they went through ok. Any suggestions about what I need to do in order to create collections? The Help section in amazon didn't help me at all.

And in case anyone asks Wi-Fi is not available in my area either! I tried and it picked up nothing and 3G is not available in part of the country.

Thanks
L
Old 10-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniM View Post
I just got my kindle 3 today (I'm in New Zealand) and loaded a few ebooks on there and now I want to create collections but the option is greyed out (not to mention the top left hand corner says "My Kindle". I saw a previous thread in here that the kindle must be registered so I went onto Amazon and I saw that the kindle is already in my account, plus I purchased a couple of ebooks from Amazon earlier tonight and they went through ok. Any suggestions about what I need to do in order to create collections? The Help section in amazon didn't help me at all.

And in case anyone asks Wi-Fi is not available in my area either! I tried and it picked up nothing and 3G is not available in part of the country.

Thanks
L
In the upper left corner of the display you should see your Kindle's registration name. The one you see in your Amazon account. Not just "any kind of name".
For me, that's "Manfred Mueller's Kindle 3" for example.
If so, in my understanding, all options should be available for you.
If not, my guess would be you have to go online at least once.
So, can you see your Kindle's name in the upper left corner? Or is "My Kindle" just the standard name?

There's always the registration hack, here from the Kindle forum.
If you can't go online, you can do the registration manually.
Mine came already registered though.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-05-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
LaniM

My kindle name should be Lani's Kindle - at least that is what was on the Amazon Manage My Kindle section and it appears that that my Kindle already came to me registered too.

So I guess my question is how can I tell my kindle that it is already registered without going online?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniM View Post

Thanks
L
Lani.....try calling CS Here is the support page.......scroll to the bottom, click on "contact us", sign into your account, enter your phone number, and they will call you immediately.

Amazon can walk you thru just about any problem that way........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200503360
Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh........and Welcome to MobileRead!
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You obviously have an internet connection somewhere. You might want to think about adding a wi-fi router.

I don't know about New Zealand, but in the US, there are a lot of coffee shops and restaurants with free wi-fi access. Also, public libraries, etc. There are a bunch of sites on the web where you can look for free wi-fi access sites. Maybe there is somewhere near you.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Sorry Lani, I gave you the US support page.....here is the UK support page.......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200487800
Old 10-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
LaniM

Thanks for the advice and the link to the US support site. I bought the kindle through the US so I emailed them. I had been trying to email Kindle Support for the last couple hours but their site was down and the email wasn't getting through. The general CS link you gave me worked fine though.

We used to have a WiFi router but the position of our house is close to some hills which interfered with the signal, so we got rid of it to keep our sanity. Thanks for the advice to try the library for WiFi access - I'll head there today.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
the fear
the fear began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm living in Australia and I am interested in buying a Kindle 3, but I am concerned about registering it. I only want to use it for reading pdf files that I already have on my computer. I am not interested in the wi-fi feature of the Kindle, (I just like the Kindle for all its other features). What I'm wondering is will the Kindle still work if it's not registered? And if I do have to register it, what do I do, can I simply go online, or do I need to turn the wi-fi feature on the Kindle on?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I'm living in Australia and I am interested in buying a Kindle 3, but I am concerned about registering it. I only want to use it for reading pdf files that I already have on my computer. I am not interested in the wi-fi feature of the Kindle, (I just like the Kindle for all its other features). What I'm wondering is will the Kindle still work if it's not registered? And if I do have to register it, what do I do, can I simply go online, or do I need to turn the wi-fi feature on the Kindle on?
It will work registered or not, but will be registered when you get it
Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We used to have a WiFi router but the position of our house is close to some hills which interfered with the signal, so we got rid of it to keep our sanity. Thanks for the advice to try the library for WiFi access - I'll head there today.
Can't quite understand how this could be but you should know
Accessing your Amazon account should let you whether it is registered.

Also their are an amazing number of free books, many quite current that you can download via kindle for pc. I find it easier to do it that way myself.

While at library check out if they have kindle ebooks available for borrowing

Helen
Old 10-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
the fear
the fear began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
It will work registered or not, but will be registered when you get it
Thanks.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Hi Lani,

The same thing happened to us when we got our second Kindle DX, which we had shipped to Oz (we bought the first one in the States).

When you buy a Kindle, Amazon automatically creates a Kindle for you in your account---it says something like "John's Kindle". But in the case of the one we bought from Oz, it looks like the serial # and the account had not been associated, as the collection option was greyed out, like for you.

I wouldn't worry about messing up your Kindle account by registering the same unit multiple times, the Amazon site seems to be really smart. I created a new Kindle account and entered the serial #, but when Amazon saw it was a duplicate, it went back to a single account. I also turned on the wireless and registered through the Kindle. Anyhow, you can rename your Kindles anytime on the Amazon "/myk" (manage your kindle) page.

But you say you get no signal?!!! Where are you in NZ? We're moving to Nelson in a couple weeks, I hope we get signal!

Smiles,

Andy

Last edited by playful; 10-10-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
LaniM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playful View Post
Hi Lani,

The same thing happened to us when we got our second Kindle DX, which we had shipped to Oz (we bought the first one in the States).

When you buy a Kindle, Amazon automatically creates a Kindle for you in your account---it says something like "John's Kindle". But in the case of the one we bought from Oz, it looks like the serial # and the account had not been associated, as the collection option was greyed out, like for you.

I wouldn't worry about messing up your Kindle account by registering the same unit multiple times, the Amazon site seems to be really smart. I created a new Kindle account and entered the serial #, but when Amazon saw it was a duplicate, it went back to a single account. I also turned on the wireless and registered through the Kindle. Anyhow, you can rename your Kindles anytime on the Amazon "/myk" (manage your kindle) page.

But you say you get no signal?!!! Where are you in NZ? We're moving to Nelson in a couple weeks, I hope we get signal!

Smiles,

Andy

I'm almost 100% sure you will get a signal! I just live in a rural area at the very bottom of the country. The tower that provides the signal is some distance from my house and unfortunately I live right under a hill (conveniently between me and the tower) so my house is affected.

Anyway this is turning into a huge pain in the a**! I have spent over an hour on my cellphone to Amazon USA (I don't even want to look at this months bill for my mobile - and Amazon will call customers in Australia but not NZ which also pisses me off since they will sell to NZ) all because I can't get a wifi signal and although public library has free wifi it apparently isn't an entirely open network. At least this is what Amazon have come up with after all the troubleshooting they got me to do while I was at the library didn't work.

The problem now isn't that my kindle isn't registered, Amazon confirmed that it is, but my kindle isn't able to connect to the kindle store or get an electronic certificate which will allow me to create collections. It needs to connect at least once I think for me to do this. I am able to get to the Amazon website and Google etc...but not the kindle store which is bizarre....So Amazon have suggested I go to Starbucks (another wifi hotspot) and try there. Unfortunately the closest starbucks is an hour away. Failing this I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'm getting really sick of useless emails from Amazon and speaking to someone in the US with no result.

OK - my b*tch session is over

Last edited by LaniM; 10-08-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard

Ahh now I understand. Perhaps you could speak to the IT person at the library and arrange for a couple of minutes of open access. I am sure it could be done and if they have an IT person usually they love a challenge.

Failing that email Amazon every day explaining your problem in different terms. In my experience persistence pays off with them.
Closed Thread