Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
What Database?

Can someone please tell me where the database is?

Briefly, have had several false starts with Calibre where I uninstalled and installed again because I got into a mess!

I saved my library but even when I pointed the 'wizard' to its' location it would not import, so I have done it one file at a time. However, sometimes it tells me that this file already exists in the data base, do i still want to add a duplicate, but the file is not in my list.

Also, a file might be number 60 on my list but on the path at the bottom of the page it might say it is number 630!

Any help would be most appreciated.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The database will be at the location set under Preferences.

The number in the path at the bottom of the screen is nothing to do with the number of books in your library - it is the internal database id that has been used to reference the book metadata.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Umm are you putting your books into the Library folder that Calibre creates? What you should have is a folder with all your ebooks in, I have several folders for the different formats of ebooks I have. Then in Calibre you click on the Add button and navigate to the folder where you have your ebooks highlight all of them and then Calibre will add them and then you will have another copy in your Calibre folder.

So you want all your books in a seperate folder to the Calibre library folder and then add them using calibre.

Last edited by AFK_Matrix; 02-09-2010 at 07:38 AM.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLou View Post
Can someone please tell me where the database is?
When you first install Calibre you should point to an empty folder for your new Calibre Library. This is the folder that you can consider to be the database. This new folder should not be manipulated outside Calibre. Do not use any file manager to add or remove items to this folder or sub folders.

Quote:
Briefly, have had several false starts with Calibre where I uninstalled and installed again because I got into a mess!
Pointing to a folder already full of books when you first install Calibre will create a mess.

Quote:
I saved my library but even when I pointed the 'wizard' to its' location it would not import, so I have done it one file at a time. However, sometimes it tells me that this file already exists in the data base, do i still want to add a duplicate, but the file is not in my list.
It seems to me that you initially pointed to a folder already full of books and have been manually adding and moving books in that folder outside of the tools Calibre gives you.

Quote:
Also, a file might be number 60 on my list but on the path at the bottom of the page it might say it is number 630!
The numbers at the end of folders are for Calibre internal use, ignore them. I would start fresh if I were you. Point to a new empty folder then use the Add books icon (or the drop down options next to it) to add books to Calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
LadyLou
Enthusiast

Thank you for all your replies - as long as I can ignore a number I am fine. Thanks to this site I am gradually gaining the confidence to get things into an order that suits me.

I have recommended both Calibre and this site to loads of friends and aquaintences so keep up the good work, I will continue reading threads.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Silly question:
I have seen the issue of (improperly) choosing an occupied folder for the Library.
Can't the location setting tool test that the named folder is Empty or contains a proper Calibre DB (metadata.db)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Just to muddy the water a bit (don't try this at home), all my master copy of books are within the Calibre Library folder, in a folder called Unsorted. Since this was never added to Calibre, it is ignored, and I can happily Add to Library from within that folder.

Someday I will move Unsorted elsewhere, but for now it at least causes me no problems.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
Just to muddy the water a bit (don't try this at home), all my master copy of books are within the Calibre Library folder, in a folder called Unsorted. Since this was never added to Calibre, it is ignored, and I can happily Add to Library from within that folder.
No need to move the folder as long as you know what it is. Having the folder there is as good as anywhere else.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
LadyLou
Enthusiast

This is all very imformative, thanks - getting to grips with it now, and yes, alll my former 'tries' are there to haunt me! Must try and master a better filing system on my computer for ebooks. Files are popping up all over the place at the moment!