Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Moejoe's quit smoking!

Moejoe quit smoking last weekend and is sticking to it! I just wanted to congratulate him on almost a week of being tobacco-free and provide encouragement for him to continue. Good for you, man! Don't ever go back. And don't ever let your guard down (cuz we're watching, you know).

vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Threw away all my ashtrays, my tobacco tins, my black stone lighter, my Zippo lighter an all my other smoking paraphenalia. I've been smoking for 17 years give or take, and that's about 17 years too many. What a stupid habit, how the hell did I get hooked on them filthy things? Paying to suffocate myself, £40-50 per week to kill myself. What a maroon I was
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Congrats, Moejoe. I smoked for nearly 30 years (when I started, I could buy a pack of cigarettes for less than 25 cents and a gallon of gas cost 15 cents). I've been smoke free for 15 years and it is a pleasure.

FWIW, once you give up smoking and stay smoke-free, your risk of smoking-related health issues declines rapidly. The hardest time period is the first 3 months; after that it becomes much easier.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Congrats, Moejoe. I smoked for nearly 30 years (when I started, I could buy a pack of cigarettes for less than 25 cents and a gallon of gas cost 15 cents). I've been smoke free for 15 years and it is a pleasure.

FWIW, once you give up smoking and stay smoke-free, your risk of smoking-related health issues declines rapidly. The hardest time period is the first 3 months; after that it becomes much easier.
Thanks for the support, and it's good to hear how other people quit the habit. Breaking point for me was when I realised I was about to put off buying a book because I would need the money for cigarettes instead. Something snapped in my head and I realised how many books I'd missed out on (a pack of 20 cigs in uk is around £5-6 now, I was buying at least one pack a day plus a pouch of tobacco on top of that per week).
Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Congrats Moejoe! I'm still smoking, I need to quit.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Congrats Moejoe .... I went from heavy inhaler to zero in 24 hours .......

Just think - now you'll have a few seconds more each day to write .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Congratulations Moejoe - stick with it - it is well worth the transitory hardship.

I gave up after 20 years, when I did so I was getting through up to 80 Capstan full strength a day!! dread to think what that would cost now.

I found the first 3 weeks by far the worst, after that it became relatively easier & after 3 to 4 months not too difficult. Though I did become addicted to chewing gum. There were no nicotine aids or substitutes then, & when in the pub with friends, having nothing to do with your hands, you tend to lift your glass more often & drink more.

I have been smoke free for 35 years now.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Congrats Moejoe .... I went from heavy inhaler to zero in 24 hours .......

Just think - now you'll have a few seconds more each day to write .....
Ahhh now, there's the downside to all this. I can't write. My writing routine became so intertwined with smoking that every time I've tried to write since quitting, I can't get more than a paragraph before losing my concentration. Can't even edit at the minute without losing my train of thought.

I'm hoping that's only fleeting
Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Ahhh now, there's the downside to all this. I can't write. My writing routine became so intertwined with smoking that every time I've tried to write since quitting, I can't get more than a paragraph before losing my concentration. Can't even edit at the minute without losing my train of thought.

I'm hoping that's only fleeting

didn't 'we' see an electronic cigarette somewhere in a thread recently ....
Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
didn't 'we' see an electronic cigarette somewhere in a thread recently ....
There is one, but I don't want any nicotine or anything in my system, unless it's just a toy thing to keep the hands occupied?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
GeoffC

Be like Kojak ....(but with hair)
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Who love's ya baby Although you're onto a good idea there, I need something I think like a lollipop or something to chew on while I'm writing. Also, I am as bald as Kojak (through choice and cruel genes)

Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
But then you'd get sticky stuff all over your stories and they'd clog the Interweb Tubes all up and disaster would ensue.

Actually, that would make a great story...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
But then you'd get sticky stuff all over your stories and they'd clog the Interweb Tubes all up and disaster would ensue.

Actually, that would make a great story...
(heads quickly to Writer's Corner to post it first)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Keep at it Moejoe. Mark Twain is said to have said that "Smoking is easy to give up. I've done it hundreds of times."

When I was younger they were $2/carton of 200 (10 packs x 20 cigarettes/pack) or a penny a cigarette. Today with all of the new "sin" taxes they cost ~$5 - $6 per pack.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote