Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Amazon surely could work with Wal Mart and have display units in each store, people can then play with one and order online from in store or at home. Wally has lots of items that are available online only
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
Gafle
Gafle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
The idea that Amazon has a limit set on how many the want to sell is ludicrous.
It may sound that way initially but if Amazon is indeed throwing money after each unit sold it makes perfect sense to build up the market slowly so they have time to recoup some of their initial investments before expanding too much. Even if that kind of strategy is irritating for us geeks who want one asap.

If they were in a fierce competitive battle things would be different but at present the Kindle doesnt have any competition.
Gafle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Amazon surely could work with Wal Mart and have display units in each store, people can then play with one and order online from in store or at home. Wally has lots of items that are available online only
True.. having display Kiosk is a whole different story. But, it didn't work very well for Dell.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
I think we will see them at public libraries, in an effort to promote ebooks Amazon will begin distributing them to selected libraries across the nation. Choose a book or two and a librarian will load them onto the Kindle, check out the Kindle for 10 days or whatever. People will fall in love with the device and order one for themselves
Maybe...maybe not. I contacted my local library last night about their ebooks, and they indicated due to budget restraints, they just had to cancel their ebooks subscriptions, thus eliminating all non-juvenile ebook content natively. Fortunately, other area library systems still do have subscriptions, but I'm wondering how long that will last. As the librarian said to me "we had to make a decision between paper and electronic, and for now the choice was paper."

Unless Amazon subsidized the electronic content as well, I think in this time of budget emergencies, public sources for electronic books will be taking a serious look at ebooks as one area they can cut without a lot of flack.

Unfortunately.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Walmart? WALMART??? You are kidding, right?

No sales staff. Those that are there either are totally clueless or are hiding in the back, or talking to each other in the aise.

It would not be one day before the display would be useless.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #21
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Also, Amazon can control costs by doing just-in-time manufacturing. ... ... ... BOb
They can also annoy the heck out of customers by not being "in time" enough.

It would be nice to see the new Kindle in stores though. It was nice seeing the Sony reader in a book store a while back.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oh, and back on topic...

It's different for Amazon than Sony. Sony has been in stores for half a century. Amazon has always been electronic. I certainly expect to see Kindles in stores soon, because at this time, they are less convenient to purchase than just running over to Target in your house slippers and grabbing a Sony. Therefore, it makes sense to me that Kindles will be in stores soon. I'd like to see displays for both devices side-by-side on well-stocked shelves at Target, Walmart, and so on. Then let the price war begin!
No offense, but how is running out to target more convenient than not even leaving your home?
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #23
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by detacht69 View Post
No offense, but how is running out to target more convenient than not even leaving your home?
Instant gratification Always more convenient
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Instant gratification Always more convenient
True. I remember when the Kindle 1 first came out and it was out of stock almost immediately. We had a few people who got Sonys instead because you could get them right away. Then they came in here asking how to get Amazon books on it. That was before the other ebook stores started dropping their prices to compete with Amazon, too. So these folks went over to the Sony store and saw hardback prices. They were pretty peeved. Sometimes it pays to take a little time, do a little research and even wait if you have to.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #25
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
True. I remember when the Kindle 1 first came out and it was out of stock almost immediately. We had a few people who got Sonys instead because you could get them right away. Then they came in here asking how to get Amazon books on it. That was before the other ebook stores started dropping their prices to compete with Amazon, too. So these folks went over to the Sony store and saw hardback prices. They were pretty peeved. Sometimes it pays to take a little time, do a little research and even wait if you have to.
I took time to think about mine, but it was super nice to get it right away when I decided to buy it
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote