Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 02:12 AM   #1
trishau
Enthusiast
trishau is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
New Kobo Glo HD

I have a Glo HD already and bought another because my current one has a crack in the subsurface layer and I couldn't bear to be without one;-)
Question is - can I leave the new one untouched and uncharged for a while? If so for how long?
And - if I do have to charge it what level of charge is best for storage?
trishau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The recommendation for storing Li-ion cells is as at 40% charge in a cool dry place. Sealed in a bag in a fridge (not freezer) is good. You need to check the charge level occasionally as the cell will self-discharge and you don't want it to drop below 0% charge.

I don't know what the best way to store a device like this. I would consider opening it and disconnecting the battery after getting it to the right charge level. I'd probably also use it for a few days just to make sure everything was OK before storing it.

But, I'm a little baffled. If your current Glo HD has a cracked substrate, why aren't you changing to use the new one?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
trishau
Enthusiast

Thanks David!
I had been thinking of getting more use from the old one since it's still quite usable. But I will now use new one and store old one in the fridge as a backup.(double bagged at 40% charge) That will be a reasonable solution:-)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't think storing the device in the fridge is good idea, because condensation of the water in the air can cause damage to electrical board.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
trishau
Enthusiast

OK. Any better ideas?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would just use them both.....
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
trishau
Enthusiast

Sounds like the best idea yet! I have the new one set up - and it was updated to the very latest FW (4.3.9084) which was a pleasant surprise!

affiliate=RakutenBooks