Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
runforcover
runforcover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Does Calibre's "GET BOOKS" option include illegal sources/downloads?

Hi!

I'm a new Calibre user and tested the "get books" option yesterday. After looking for a few titles I noticed that you can find many popular books for free. And I'm not talking about DRM-free books!

The most common source for free versions of contemporary bestsellers etc. seems to be Feedbooks. But for some reason those ebooks are not free on the Feedbooks site itself.

For example, "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn can be downloaded for free with Calibre. It names Feedbooks as source, but if you try to download it via Feedbooks (I was able to sign in there with Google+) you have to pay for it. "Gone Girl" isn't an exception, I tried the same with several other titles that aren't free in any of the other shops listed by Calibre.

So I was wondering how Calibre is able to access these books for free and if it's legal/safe to use the "get books" option in cases like this... ? Thanks!
runforcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Those are only previews of the first few chapters, even thought the table of contents might show the full book.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
runforcover
runforcover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I didn't know the "get books" option included previews and also didn't want to risk anything by downloading something... so thanks!
runforcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:19 AM   #4
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
I have been fooled by that before. Any way to exclude those previews?
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, feedbooks, get books