Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #946
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
The latest changes make my library sites much harder to navigate without a mouse. Too much now relies on hovering over a cover. If I want to open a title in a new tab, the only thing I can long-touch that allows me to do it is the author's name. This, though, does not take me to an overview of all the author's books, but to the title. It's like Overdrive are throwing all laws of webdesign and usability out the window and creating their own rule-sets now.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #947
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I don't like how you try to click on the book cover, and then a hidden button appears while you are pressing the mouse and the end result is that you've clicked that button instead of going to the book page. Frustrating.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #948
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The latest changes make my library sites much harder to navigate without a mouse. Too much now relies on hovering over a cover. If I want to open a title in a new tab, the only thing I can long-touch that allows me to do it is the author's name. This, though, does not take me to an overview of all the author's books, but to the title. It's like Overdrive are throwing all laws of webdesign and usability out the window and creating their own rule-sets now.
If you use the list view instead of cover view you can long press on the cover to open a new tab with the book and you can do a long press on the author name and that works as expected. I've never liked the cover view on any device.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #949
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It used to be that my SkipStone browser on Kindle Touch could browse OverDrive normally (albeit slowly). Whatever new changes they made brought back the ridiculous mobile layout that shows only 2 books per row. Yay... malformed layout is back after I finally escaped mobile view.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #950
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
I am probably minority for saying this. I hope that people will stop using OD. It is going to kill local libraries soon with this rate of growth and user base. And also it will have a "global" monopoly over the digital book borrowing/distribution system.

Last edited by exachillus; 06-20-2014 at 03:03 PM.
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #951
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exachillus View Post
I am probably minority for saying this. I hope that people will stop using OD. It is going to kill local libraries soon with this rate of growth and user base. And also it will have a "global" monopoly over the digital book borrowing/distribution system.
I disagree with you, the overdrive system that I use is from my local library. And if your local library has not joined the digital world, they are helping to kill themselves.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #952
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I happen to like the new OD design, especially the new option to just list those available wishlist items. However let me point out and say I only use my PC browser when browsing and borrowing through their site. I tried it on my Fire but I did not like how the book was not available to my other devices when I borrowed from there. Of course keep in mind I did not do a lot of extensive research into using it either, I just prefer my pc.

And as to the browser on my pw2, I do not know how you all tolerate that. It was very slow and very annoying to use, that I never bother with it. There is nothing I need to do or see that I was to use that dinosaur.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #953
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I disagree with you, the overdrive system that I use is from my local library. And if your local library has not joined the digital world, they are helping to kill themselves.
nynaevelan

You are talking about now. I am talking about the future. There is a context difference unfortunately.
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #954
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
nynaevelan

You are talking about now. I am talking about the future. There is a context difference unfortunately.
I don't understand what you mean, can you explain it to me? How will Overdrive ruin the local library??
Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #955
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I happen to like the new OD design, especially the new option to just list those available wishlist items. However let me point out and say I only use my PC browser when browsing and borrowing through their site. I tried it on my Fire but I did not like how the book was not available to my other devices when I borrowed from there. Of course keep in mind I did not do a lot of extensive research into using it either, I just prefer my pc.

And as to the browser on my pw2, I do not know how you all tolerate that. It was very slow and very annoying to use, that I never bother with it. There is nothing I need to do or see that I was to use that dinosaur.
What is it that you do on your Fire that doesn't allow you to use it on your other devices? If I use the Overdrive app on my Nexus I can still download to my pc.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #956
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
What is it that you do on your Fire that doesn't allow you to use it on your other devices? If I use the Overdrive app on my Nexus I can still download to my pc.
I borrowed a couple of books straight from the Overdrive app but they didn't show up in my Manage Your Kindle library in order for my eink device to download it. I never tried it on my android. So now I just borrow it on the web and then it will show up in all my kindle apps. This was a few years ago so maybe something has changed.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #957
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't know if this is related to the above discussion about the Kindle Fire, but it used to be possible to check out a book on the PC and then later download it directly
on my Sony PRS-T1, but this is no longer possible. If I check out the book on PC and then use the PRS-T1 to access the Overdrive library bookshelf, the books checked out on the PC show up with an error message "This device does not support this format".

It's not just me - somebody with a PRS-T3 reported the same issue in the Sony forum.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #958
tracings
Enthusiast
tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook HD, Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracings View Post
Around the time of the latest redesign, my Firefox browser started showing a strange thing in the upper corner of the book covers. Basically, I don't get an image at all, but instead an oval with "EG00" in it. I am using Firefox 29 on a Windows 7 computer. Attached, I think (I hope), is an sample screenshot from my wishlist.
Turns out this wasn't related to AdBlocker (which I'm not using) but instead something in my Firefox configuration. Basically, I had to set gfx_downloadable_fonts_enabled to true. Once I did that, I was able to see the new symbols.

Thanks to all for their suggestions!
tracings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #959
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
If you use the list view instead of cover view you can long press on the cover to open a new tab with the book and you can do a long press on the author name and that works as expected. I've never liked the cover view on any device.
Thanks. Don't think list view is available in some views, like holds and bookshelf, but I'll check it out next time I manage to log in.
They pushed another update to my three libraries that made them unusable from Android.

I agree, the cover view is unusable on most of my devices.

Last edited by xendula; 06-23-2014 at 02:13 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #960
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
OverDrive has a huge installed base, but it does have competition from Axis and 3M Cloud Drive, and to a smaller extent, Blio. Moreover, I've read several articles, such as this one, that indicate libraries prefer 3M Cloud Drive. (Personally, though the libraries I belong to offer all three lending platforms, I prefer OverDrive to 3M Cloud Drive. I have not yet tried Axis, and I've uninstalled Blio.)

Last edited by Froide; 08-06-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote