Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #391
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I already did Fontin. It looks nice. Too bad I can't share that one.
Did you do the smallcaps as well?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #392
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've noticed something weird that I thought at first was a glitch with the Palatino font installed. Like I've mentioned on other threads, I recently acquired a replacement PW and I realized that the problem is just with my old one (which has USE_ALT_FONTS installed, the one does not).

I usually read at the smallest Palatino setting and with my old PW, I found some of the words "sticking together" without a space in between. Like I said, I thought it was a glitch in the font because the problem would be fixed by going up another size.

When I got my new PW though, which I haven't had the chance to install USE_ALT_FONTS on yet, I realized this wasn't the case.

Has anyone experienced this?

Old PW

New PW
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #393
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could be that the old PW had an older firmware and the new PW has a newer firmware.

Interesting photos. The old PW looks better because the text is blacker. The new PW has a lighter background, but the text is grey.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-01-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #394
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
That's really strange. Never encountered it with any font I've tried. Then again, I didn't use Palatino much, certainly not on the smallest setting.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #395
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you do the smallcaps as well?
No why I need small caps?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #396
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I've noticed something weird that I thought at first was a glitch with the Palatino font installed. Like I've mentioned on other threads, I recently acquired a replacement PW and I realized that the problem is just with my old one (which has USE_ALT_FONTS installed, the one does not).

I usually read at the smallest Palatino setting and with my old PW, I found some of the words "sticking together" without a space in between. Like I said, I thought it was a glitch in the font because the problem would be fixed by going up another size.

When I got my new PW though, which I haven't had the chance to install USE_ALT_FONTS on yet, I realized this wasn't the case.

Has anyone experienced this?
Yep I get it alot but I always thought it was a Calibre issue not PW. If I come across again I'll have to look at the internal code.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #397
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I start encountering this issue, it may have to do with the use_alt_fonts file. Never seen this before. Should it happen, I think I'll be returning to an unmodded Kindle and Caecilia.

I can't stand wrong formatting. It's one of the reasons why I sold my Gen3 in 2008.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #398
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JSWolf, I agree. I think I prefer the old one more but am using the new one now to see if I get used to it, or if I can "break it in" enought that it starts to look better

Blossom, might be something with USE_ALT_FONTS after all. I moved the USE_ALT_FONTS file to the fonts folder to temporarily disable it and spaces now showing appropriately. Both PW's are on 5.3.3 btw.

Probably not a problem though if you don't use the smallest font setting very much.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #399
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Does it happen with other fonts, or other sizes, or only Palatino Size 1?

In that case, I'll luckily never encounter this problem, but it's still very weird.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #400
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I've had it happen before I used custom fonts so I know that's not it. I was using Condensed version of Caecilia.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #401
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No why I need small caps?
You might. Some books do use smallcaps and simulated does not look as good. But you'd have to embed in KF8. I do use smallcaps when the eBook has enough of them to matter to me.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #402
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You might. Some books do use smallcaps and simulated does not look as good. But you'd have to embed in KF8. I do use smallcaps when the eBook has enough of them to matter to me.
I don't think I would notice a difference with or without them.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #403
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't think I would notice a difference with or without them.
I'll cobble together something to show you so you can see. I'll use Charil SIL since it has read smallcaps.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #404
xtine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Does it happen with other fonts, or other sizes, or only Palatino Size 1?

In that case, I'll luckily never encounter this problem, but it's still very weird.
I use Palatino most of the time so I'm only sure it happens with the smallest font. When I go up a size (second to smallest font), the problem goes away.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #405
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I use Palatino most of the time so I'm only sure it happens with the smallest font. When I go up a size (second to smallest font), the problem goes away.
I was using size 5 when it happened. So I don't think that's it.