Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Essential text file being deleted during conversion

I was doing an epub-to-epub conversion of a book yesterday and noticed that the entire last chapter was being deleted upon conversion. Upon inspection of the original epub, it is a file with "gutenberg" in a long name and there is an almost identical file with the same name with the exception of a single digit at the end (I guess you'd call this the "suffix"). The content within the two files is different (though the full text of one of the files is contained in the second).

I am making a pure guess that calibre thinks these are identical files somehow and is deleting one of them?

How can I prevent this?

The essential file being deleted is linked in the original toc. After conversion, when you click on the link in the toc you get an error message in Calibre's reader.

I am using the latest version of Calibre.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The deleted file will me marked as the cover in the opf, remove that marking.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Kovid, that was precisely the problem. I deleted that line and problem is solved.

This was a book published by Kobo out of public domain material. It came directly from Kobo. So they are the ones who either formatted the book so poorly, or let a book poorly formatted by someone else get through. I am surprised they did this, even though the book was free.

Thanks for your help!
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote