Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
guyjack
Edge User

Google Voice Calling

Has anyone been able to get Google Voice to work for calling out and not just for checking voicemails?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
goodspeech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyjack View Post
Has anyone been able to get Google Voice to work for calling out and not just for checking voicemails?
I just tried using it and I didn't have any problems.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

It works fine for me as well, although I'm using it with SipDroid and my Gizmo #

Old 03-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
guyjack
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodspeech View Post
I just tried using it and I didn't have any problems.
You used your Edge to call someone over a wifi connection? I would love to know how. I cannot get mine to work. Was hoping I could leave my phone home sometimes and just take my EE out with me.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
goodspeech
Edge User

I still have to take the phone since I use google voice to place the call. I have not experimented with using the PE as the phone.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyjack View Post
You used your Edge to call someone over a wifi connection? I would love to know how. I cannot get mine to work. Was hoping I could leave my phone home sometimes and just take my EE out with me.
If you have both a Google Voice number and a Gizmo5 number you can use Sipdroid, for now, http://sipdroid.org/ to receive and make calls. You need to set the Gizmo number as one of your phones in Google Voice settings. When you receive a call or initiate a call(easily accomplished on the web page in desktop mode) from your Google Voice number the edge will ring if Sipdroid is on and connected over wifi. Unfortunately, in April Gizmo will stop providing service, Google bought it quite a while ago. They are promoting their service through chat - and offer call phones for free in the US until the end of 2011. However, this function needs flash; which we don't have yet.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
goodspeech
Edge User

thanks, as always.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
guyjack
Edge User

Thank you for the info Cheyennedonna! I will try that...until April, that is! LOL

Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
martinhentges
Edge User

Marked as SPAM

Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
JBrondos
Edge User

I saw a Google Voice apk at this site, but someone more qualified than I should check it out: http://www.filecrop.com/google-apk.html

I'm curious, since Android is connected to Google, to what extent all the stuff in Google Labs will work with the Entourage eDGe.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrondos View Post
I saw a Google Voice apk at this site, but someone more qualified than I should check it out: http://www.filecrop.com/google-apk.html

I'm curious, since Android is connected to Google, to what extent all the stuff in Google Labs will work with the Entourage eDGe.
Google voice works on the edge. Google maps work, Google Sky works partially - no GPS or accelerometer. You cannot install GMail or Google Calendar - they won't install.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
attemptress
Edge User

Google Voice (GV) works for both sending and recieving calls on my PE. I'm late to the whole VoIP party, so I don't have gizmo5 numbers, etc. Here's what I did:

- Sign up at IPComms (or some other free incoming phone number provider. Remember: internet search engines are your friends). It doesn't automatically assign you a number. After signing up, you'll need to either e-mail or on-line chat with their customer support. The in-bound call line is free, and for this purpose this is all you'll need (I have a callcentric.com number too, but after trying several, couldn't get GV to accept them as they were "already in use" by 3 other accounts). One caveat: your free number will go away if it doesn't get dialed at least once a month.

-Set up GV to forward calls to IPComms number.

-Sign up for Pbxes.com. I'm not 100% sure if this is necessary or not, but I did it when I was trying to figure all this stuff out. I set up trunks for IPComms and for GV. Made a call group that included IPComms numbers and GV. Also incoming and outgoing lines for both.

-Find and download CSipSimple (I think I got mine from Slideme). It's free. Install and add Pbxes and GV accounts using the wizard. If I recall correctly, when it asked during install, I told it to integrate with the Android dialer. - - Don't forget to pick a ringtone.

-Incoming calls now ring in just like my PE were a phone if people dial either my GV number or my IPComms number (or they did before ermine killed my speaker - now I have to be paying attention to get calls).

-To make outgoing calls, open browser in mobile mode, and go to GV. There's a box at the bottom to type in numbers. Type in the number you wish to dial, and then press the "call now" button. In moment your 'phone' should ring. Answer it. GV will then ring the number you dialed.

-As I said, you may be able to do this without pbxes. I found pbxes a right pain in the patoot to set up, so you may want to try it without, if you've never messed with it before.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
ivan
Edge User

The above if fine IF Google Voice is available in your country. The last time I looked it was ONLY available in the US!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
attemptress
Edge User

@ ivan: true enough re: GV's availability solely in the US. However, You can use IPComms numbers directly in conjunction with CSipSimple (that is, get an IPComms number, and link it to your edge via CSipSimple, and _possibly_ pbxes). This would get you free incoming calls. To make out-going calls with this setup, however, you'll need to pay IPComms. I think they charge between US$0.01 and US$0.10 per minute, depending on location. There are other, similar, VoIP providers (like CallCentric, IPKall, and a variety of others operating out of Europe, Australia, and at least one or two South American countries).

Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
ivan
Edge User

Thanks attemptress, this is something I will have to investigate as our network is sip enabled - we can make and receive calls from any machine on the net, it even works using a notebook out on site.

Now I must get a copy of CSipSimple and see about setting it up to work the same way.