Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #46
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I was watching Android Atlas on Cnet last night and they made a quick refereance to how the nook color has been like this android community little dream like pet project ( I'm paraphrasing)

it's got quite the cult following from the Android community
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the nook sales where from folks who wanted a cheap tablet.

At work everyone knows I'm an eBook fan over the years I've had one or two folks ask me about my sony/kindle. However when folks heard how I turned the nook into a android tablet. I had several folks come over to check it out.

Kind of funny really, it just shows how viable 7" tablets are.
=X=
Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #47
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
NOOKcolor games and apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I'm not sure why you're separating the Nook Color community out from other Android devices. All the major Android development sites I've seen have a Nook Color section in the same way they have a section for any other Android device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No, that is very inaccurate I don't even know where he got this info from, I've never heard of such comments.

Because the nook books off of the SD Micro Card by default it makes bricking the nook virtually impossible. Also developers have created bootable images that auto root your device. It's called autonooter and the process is very easy to do. The hardest part is making a bootable images, and those instructions are in detail.

The nook has proven to be a viable tablet and as such has gotten developers from the market to make updates to their apps to play nice with the nook.

Also here is the dev community to the nook color
http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor
You will see it is quite active, even more so than the cruz, and PocketBook.

=X=
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I was watching Android Atlas on Cnet last night and they made a quick refereance to how the nook color has been like this android community little dream like pet project ( I'm paraphrasing)

it's got quite the cult following from the Android community
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the nook sales where from folks who wanted a cheap tablet.

At work everyone knows I'm an eBook fan over the years I've had one or two folks ask me about my sony/kindle. However when folks heard how I turned the nook into a android tablet. I had several folks come over to check it out.

Kind of funny really, it just shows how viable 7" tablets are.
=X=
Thanks Lemurion, =X=, and boswd.

Ok, I've replaced the "lacks substantial developer community" con with "currently lacks support as shipped from Barnes & Noble for installing new apps." I've also elevated NOOKcolor from "fair" to "good" for the apps and games factor.

What would you say is the best link I could use for installing instructions that I mention in this pro (added for the NOOKcolor regarding apps and games): "Android developer community has produced apps and instructions for installing them."
Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #48
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo WiFi ereader now covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
You need to put kobo on it
You got it: "Which ereader should I buy?" now covers the Kobo WiFi ereader. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:06 AM   #49
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I don't know whether you can use these, 3 examples minimum/mid/largest font possible on the Gen3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	67875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	67876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Large.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	67877  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #50
hughes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I don't know whether you can use these, 3 examples minimum/mid/largest font possible on the Gen3.
Hi GeoffC, thank you for those. Yeah, it's the knowing whether I can use them that's the problem. Fair use doctrine covers extracting a small portion of a publication, often text. However, to produce the extensive font image comparisons you're suggesting, I think I'd need to use public domain images (which I doubt exist) or seek out permissions of the owners or generate them myself. Although it's a great idea, I just don't have the cycles to undertake those tasks the right way.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #51
hughes
Addict

Quick Decide Guide: new layout

I've moved factors up along side of alternatives and eliminated the open/hide mechanism in favor of an always-opened design. Also added visual indicators that reflect the currently active factor selections.

Please try the new design and let me know what you think: Quick Decide Guide to Best E-readers

As always, reworking and refinement of the factor content is ongoing and suggestions are welcome there as well (but this update was primarily content independent). Thank you.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #52
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
The factor option works well and quickly...

mmm why nothing from Bookeen?
Closed Thread

Tags
best ereader, comparison, e-reader, ebook reader, ereader