Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Copying news to PB 360

Ok, I decided to take a plunge and try out the "News" function. I succeeded with Calibre in downloading the RSS of a news website, but it included ALL the articles and it seems impossible to navigate with the PB 360 to any particular one, so you have to page through the whole thing to find the one you want to read. Is there any way to download just the articles you want to read?

Then I tried saving ( in text or html) the individual articles on the website that I wanted to read (later) in my PB, but Calibre could not transfer them to the reader. Is there any way to do that? I didn't try it, but I suppose I could try (e.g. with Google docs) to convert the html to PDF and then try sending that to the reader, but that would be too much trouble. By then I could have read the thing on my computer.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Have you looked at the Calibre recipes?
They might cover the specific web-sites you want.
That's what I do: I have Calibre download the site as an ebook and move it to the PB360. Since it builds in a usable TOC you get the headlines in the TOC and you drill down to what you want.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Nope, they don't. I'll try it, though, and see if I can "drill down," presuming that means using one of the buttons to navigate to a particular article.

In the meantime I succeeded in the following: Copy the article (preferably in Print mode) to Open Office (I have a Mac). Then save in OO to html. That creates a zip file that is acceptable to Calibre, which will then convert it to epub. That works. So I managed to get two articles onto my reader. Still, it's too much trouble in the long run.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
If your news site has an RSS feed it's much easier to use Calibre, although in the beginning it looks.. intimidating(when I heard about recipes using Python )
When creating a new recipe, go to advanced mode and there will be a link to a help page. Basically you'll provide the URL to download from and the tags to be downloaded. Calibre will download the articles, make a TOC so you can jump from one to another and convert the whole thing to epub.
If the feed is too complicated in the Calibre section you can post a request for someone to try and make your recipe.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
mdmorrissey
Addict

I discovered my mistake: you have to open the news feed in AdobeViewer; otherwise you can't navigate. This way, it works. Thanks for the comments.
Advert