Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Question Curious Observation

Windows XP sp3 - calibre 0.7.13

I have noticed this behavior multiple times. Let me just outline one instance that I just observed. Is this my machine(s) or have other folks noticed this as well.
  1. I started Calibre.
  2. I selected a book
  3. I opened the metadata editor.
  4. I removed a epub format book from calibre.
  5. I clicked OK.
  6. The Edit Meta Information window would not close until an external drive (that had gone to sleep) was spun up. This caused a delay in executing that update.
The external drive has nothing to do with Calibre, calibre's configuration, nor the calibre library. I wasn't connected to a folder on the drive. This drive is not needed in any way by Calibre. I have noticed this behavior at other times when I went to do something in calibre. I use the above example because that is the exact sequence of events that just happened.

Previously using calibre this never happened, but I really have no idea what the version was that I first noticed this behavior. If I had to guess I would put it post 0.7.

I can happily live with this situation. I was just curious if anyone knew why this might happen or if anyone else had noticed this phenomenon?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-11-2010 at 12:23 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
this happens only if you add/remove a format and not if you do other changes?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Windows XP sp3 - calibre 0.7.13

I have noticed this behavior multiple times. Let me just outline one instance that I just observed. Is this my machine or have other folks noticed this as well.
  1. I started Calibre.
  2. I selected a book
  3. I opened the metadata editor.
  4. I removed a epub format book from calibre.
  5. I clicked OK.
  6. The Edit Meta Information window would not close until an external drive (that had gone to sleep) was spun up. This caused quite a delay in executing that update.
The external drive has nothing to do with Calibre, calibre's configuration, nor the calibre library. I wasn't connected to a folder on the drive. This drive is not needed in any way by Calibre. I have noticed this behavior at other times when I went to do something in calibre. I use the above example because that is the exact sequence of events that just happened.

Previously using calibre this never happened, but I really have no idea what the version was that I first noticed this behavior. If I had to guess I would put it post 0.7.

I can happily live with this situation. I was just curious if anyone knew why this might happen or if anyone else had noticed this phenomenon?
Does that EXTERNAL drive have Virtual memory, properly set to "No Paging file"?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
this happens only if you add/remove a format and not if you do other changes?
I'll try and keep an eye out for more specifics. The drive is rarely asleep when I'm working. I only posted today because I could relate the exact sequence of events that caused me to notice the delay and with this delay is always the noise of the external drive spinning up.

Anything else I say may be based on bad recall, but I think I notice it when the drive is asleep and I'm saving any changes made via the Edit Meta Information window. Once the drive is awake subsequent changes are not delayed.

I'll try and keep a little log and get back to you in a few weeks.

I just thought it a little odd and wanted to bring it up.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-11-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does that EXTERNAL drive have Virtual memory, properly set to "No Paging file"?
It took me a few minutes to find the setting, but it is properly set to no paging file on the drive. Excellent guess though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ext_drive_paging.png
Views:	269
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	56495  
Advert