Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Just curious ...

I've got a Kindle, and I love it, but I was looking over the iRex site (in response to another post), and couldn't help but notice that the Iliad seems very expensive ... on the iRex site anyway.

I also noticed that, although I can't see much in the way of differences, the Iliad v 2 is $100 more expensive than the book edition. That's what I'm really curious about ... why the difference in price? I'm sure it has to be for some reason that I am missing ...

I am thinking of getting one of these for taking notes at meetings. I think it would be a lot better than my tablet PC and take up much less space in my briefcase. But ... second question ... how is the battery life?? I mean in real use ... not what the manufacturer says it is.

Thanks.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The book edition lacks the Wifi. That's the only difference.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The book edition lacks the Wifi. That's the only difference.
Hmmm .... got it. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
battery life with frequent actual note-taking is probably anywhere between 5-8 hours.
that said, for precision/more comfortable writing you might want to get a better stylus/pen to go with it (i'd have recommended the Cross Executive pen, but it seems they've been EOLed a few weeks ago)
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
At conferences I have mine on all day taking notes, and it lasts at least 8 hours, but not more than 10. As a reminder, it does not recognize handwriting. There is PC software that purports to handle that part (after you copy your notes to the PC), but I haven't tried it.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Which would be plenty long enough, I think.

No .... I've got a tablet PC running OneNote, and I haven't used the handwriting recognition feature either. I can barely read my handwriting after a few days (which is why I always immediately transcribed my notes -- either with a typewriter or a computer -- as soon as possible after writing them.

For me, if I were to get an Iliad, it would be simply as a lighter alternative to the tablet PC for business meetings and such. I'm still thinking about it and probably will for a while before purchasing one.

I'm also seriously thinking about purchasing a few more Kindles ....
Old 07-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
When you use the Iliad primary for notetaking it might be a very good idea to buy the WACOM executive pen, its way easier to handle than the "toothpick" the iLiad comes with.

2000 years evolution of handwriting devices has come up with a design thats pretty good for the human hand, just look like how a normal pencil/pen looks like. I don't know what goes into the mind of technicans thinking, disregard this, half the length will sufficide also...

Last edited by axel77; 07-05-2008 at 06:22 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
I don't know what goes into the mind of technicans...
Space considerations?
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
When you use the Iliad primary for notetaking it might be a very good idea to buy the WACOM executive pen, its way easier to handle than the "toothpick" the iLiad comes with.
But doesn't the presence of the stylus in its socket disable the touch screen? Do you have to remove the stylus every time you want to use your WACOM pen? That sounds like a bit of a nuisance!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But doesn't the presence of the stylus in its socket disable the touch screen? Do you have to remove the stylus every time you want to use your WACOM pen? That sounds like a bit of a nuisance!
Yes it is, thus I leave my stylus at home, and only take the WACOM pen with me. It fits nicely into that executive casing. In addition to the nuisance its quite a danger for people like me, I'd sure soon lose the stylus or the wacom if I'd to take care of both, I was lucky until now to have lost neither.

Yes, yes, I know, lower battery lifetime because the digitizer won't turn off, when I'm not using the pen by putting the stylus into the slot. However 99% of the time I use the iLiad I do use the pen (even for reading pdfs), and from experience I can tell, its sure not a lot shorter life time. I can get easily through any even blocked lecture any time, that is 8 hours at least.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes, yes, I know, lower battery lifetime because the digitizer won't turn off, when I'm not using the pen by putting the stylus into the slot.
Actually, even without the stylus in the slot it still switches off after a period of inactivity.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Actually, even without the stylus in the slot it still switches off after a period of inactivity.
It's supposed to, but from what I've heard that feature has never really worked. Obviously, if axel77 is leaving the stylus at home and writing for 8 hours, nothing is turning off.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Mine does turn off and it drives me bonkers

I sometimes leave the stylus on the table for a long time, while reading a text. And when i grab it to jot something down, i often find the digitizer went to sleep and i have to either put the stylus in the silo then pull it out again or click the buttons around for a while, until iLiad finally grasps what it should do (i.e. switch the bloody digitizer on).