Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Fifty Shades of Grey - What Did you Think?
I am female, read all/part and loved them. 13 5.51%
I am male, read all/part and loved them. 2 0.85%
I am female, read all/part and didn't care for them. 18 7.63%
I am male, read all/part and didn't care for them. 5 2.12%
I am female - won't be reading them. 114 48.31%
I am male - won't be reading them. 84 35.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Fifty Shades - "We Deserve Better"

It is no secret that I read romance novels. When I saw that the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy had hit the NYT Bestseller list, I thought I was finally vindicated! So I downloaded the books and read them over a weekend.

I hated them. I thought they were very poorly writen, and weren't very erotic for erotica. But they were bestsellers - obviously, I didn't know good writting.

But this writer for the Chicago Tribune thought the same thing:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,4130651.story

So, did you read the books? What did you think?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Sigh. This book is generating so much chatter, on every message board and listserv I'm on, on Facebook, that I think I will have to read it just to form my own opinion.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I don't like vampire or romance books, so I am not the target audience for Twilight fan fiction.

I have to ask, if it was that bad, why on earth did you read the second and third book?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I don't like vampire or romance books, so I am not the target audience for Twilight fan fiction.

I have to ask, if it was that bad, why on earth did you read the second and third book?
The first one ended on quite a cliff-hanger, so I bought the second. The second was terrible, but I thought it had to get better, so I bought and read the third. Unfortunately, I once read a book I didn't like, but forced myself to read the whole thing. Unfortuntely, in the last 15 pages, the book totally redeemed itself. So I thought, they are all on the bestseller list, I must be missing something. Nope. They got progressively worse.

I don't know how to do spoilers, so I can't tell you anymore.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I am so glad to see this thread because I thought I was crazy for not liking this series. Like most, I decided to read these books to see what all the hub bub was about. I like a little erotica like the next girl and I have read some really, really good erotica that was well written, a good and engaging plot and a good mix of hot activity. That was not this book.

I agree with Syndey's Mom, who wrote this? A child? (I know that is an insult to children, my apologies).

Second, the story was totally and completely unrealistic. Christian is suppose to be a captain of industry, but all he seems to do is deal with his "issues" and get busy with Anna. Who the hell is running his company? I just couldn't buy a lot of the premises here.

I am so glad that my library had these books, because quite honestly, if I had purchased this series for even a penny, I would have demanded my $$ back. If you are even thinking about reading this series, PLEASE, say your time and money and find something else. That is time I will never get back.

P.S. For those of you who ask, why did I keep reading? Because once I start something (even if it is bad), I finish it.

P.S.S. And if the books weren't bad enough, I believe I saw recently that they want to make this series into a film, REALLY?

Last edited by chilady1; 05-02-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Added more
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I so agree. It makes me even more angry that I paid $30 to waste my time and insult my brain like this.

Now my library has them. There are 167 people signed up for the first book - this is a small consortiom of libraries - usually 15 is the max. I wish I could warn everyone.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Most of the folks I know who have read it have said that they are a poor representation of the romantic/erotica literature and are pretty bad. Essentially, it was Twilight fan fiction that turned into a best seller. I have not read Twilight, but I understand that many folks say that the writing is pretty poor and that they are really not very good. But they found a devoted following.

Perhaps it has something to do with the basic plot lines of both series? There seems to be a market for people who like certain themes. (shrugs)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I don't pick my reads by popularity so I don't care if it's a "bestseller" or not.
What I have heard of it tells me it is not aimed at me nor do I care for the subect matter so, well-written or not, I've no interest in it.

I do hope that those who choose to buy it get their money's worth.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
The books sell, so the author is obviously doing something right. I doubt I will read them.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I don't pick my reads by popularity so I don't care if it's a "bestseller" or not.
What I have heard of it tells me it is not aimed at me nor do I care for the subect matter so, well-written or not, I've no interest in it.

I do hope that those who choose to buy it get their money's worth.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I dropped out 1/2 way through the first book. I really didn't even enjoy young, clueless woman in midst of sexual awakening stories when I was young and clueless myself. I really don't enjoy them now that I have a few decades of sexual awareness on me and I have absolutely zilch empathy with the characters. I tend to avoid BDSM erotica altogether because it just tends to evoke negative feelings in me. I don't resent that it exists or think it is wrong, I just don't choose to read it. So obviously, I'm just not a great target audience for these books.

My only comment is most of the people I've talked with who are interested in this book are totally oblivious to the deep world of erotic romance and fiction that is out there. They don't seem to know where to find it, they don't seem to know that there are plenty of normal everyday people who read it, and they ..... well they think this is something new and groundbreaking.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I read the trilogy last week. Well listened to book one and read the others.

My problem with these books is a long list. Yes they are poorly written. No they are not a romance. I don't care how many people read and review this book. There is no romance here. What we have is a very sick man who is sociopath with serious mommy issues. We have a girl who has some real self image and self esteem issues and no spine. There is so much sex scenes that it gets boring. They are tame where Erotica is concern. Just very variety but boring. The storyline just runs out of steam by book three and nothing is ever resolved nor does Christian ever redeem himself in my eyes. Save your money for something better.

I absolutely love this review at Goodreads I think it sums up the absurdity of the series.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I read a lot of romance, but none with erotic overtones.
Reading is my escape.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I read the trilogy last week. Well listened to book one and read the others.
You read as fast as my wife!

Quote:
There is so much sex scenes that it gets boring.
And oddly, there was none in the sample.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I don't know how to do spoilers, so I can't tell you anymore.
On the tool bar above the window where you type messages, click the little picture of the eye with a red X through it, and then type. That's all.

If you don't see the eye with the red X, click the "Go Advanced" button below the window.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote