Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There is more than that. Netflix HD has hardware requirements, that's why it's available on the Nook Tablet and not on the Nook Color, Fire and most Android phones. If the device doesn't meet the requirements, the stream is SD, not HD.
My Blu-Ray and HDTV (1080p) are definitely HD capable beyond the 720p HD that Netflix can deliver, plus my broadband is more than fast enough for HD streaming at 20 Mbps. Yet Netflix is obviously only streaming SD through them. I tried five different movies and HD TV shows but all looked and sounded terrible. Amazon streaming on the other hand looks great. I guess it is possible that it might have to do with my broadband carrier Time Warner Cable, but I doubt it.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Definitely sounds like something is wrong. I've had Netflix for almost a year now and have watched countless HD movies on a 55" plasma (streaming with WD TV Live box) and also on my computer. Most newer releases are also 5.1 now too.

On the website settings, I believe you can enable or force HD last I checked. If not, then simply contact Netflix and they'll help you out. Amazon Prime is no comparison and definitely not a substitute if you're considering it. Their selection is severely lacking and is mostly stuff you can see on basic cable everyday.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahnan View Post
with no audio syncing issues? I have got a cracking internet connection, plus prime plays flawlessly, but wow is the syncing super bad on netflix. Video wise, it's about what i'd expect, not as good tv or ipads but not as bad as it was at launch. Sure takes a while(10-20 seconds) to settle in on a resolution at launch. Concerns me that others have no syncing issues
Absolutely no problems (no audio sync issues, no video quality issues, no issues whatsoever) with netflix streaming on the KF or any other device that I use.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My Blu-Ray and HDTV (1080p) are definitely HD capable beyond the 720p HD that Netflix can deliver, plus my broadband is more than fast enough for HD streaming at 20 Mbps. Yet Netflix is obviously only streaming SD through them. I tried five different movies and HD TV shows but all looked and sounded terrible. Amazon streaming on the other hand looks great. I guess it is possible that it might have to do with my broadband carrier Time Warner Cable, but I doubt it.
May be the content as well. I recently watched a few episodes of a documentary by the name "The Universe" which was definitively HD - you might want to give it a try.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay I tried Hulu Plus as well. Video quality of Hulu Plus is superb and rivals Amazon streaming on the Fire. Very nice on the Fire, but it won't stream at all to my TV via my Blu-Ray player. I contacted Hulu CS and am waiting for a reply.

Netflix continues to not sync audio correctly with picture on both my Fire and my TV. The video resolution and quality continues to be really poor. I'm going to contact their CS as well.
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #21
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
We use Netflix on our TVs all the time with no problems at all.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #22
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Sadly, I have to say that Netflix was a total washout on the Fire and on my TV as well. On both I get VCR quality video that is choppy, freezes a lot, and the sound is out of sync with the pictures. It is rally gosh awful. I'm glad I got a free one month trial which I'm going to cancel.

Okay, just to make sure you understand that I've got good equipment and good internet speed, I'm including the specifics for my systems:
  • Internet is high speed 20 MBips (wired to Blu-ray player, wireless to Fire)
  • Blu-Ray player is brand new Panasonic DMP-BDT210 connected with ethernet cable (wired)
  • TV is Sony Bravia 40" HDTV 1080p capable

As a comparison, I've also got Amazon Prime Instant Video on my Blu-Ray player/TV and on my Fire and on my PC. Amazon Instant Videos look excellent and play wonderfully on all my equipment. Netflix is horrible on all my equipment. Supposedly Netflix provides 720p, but it looks like a 480i broadcast channel on an HDTV--looks like pooh in other words. And it sounds terrible as the audio is so out of sync.

I guess you get what you pay for. Netflix is unlimited at $7.99/month whereas with Amazon you pay a significant amount for each video. Bottomline is Amazon is very watchable and pleasant but Netflix is unwatchable.
Not all videos on Netflix are HD, make sure you're watching a HD movie.

There is definitely something wrong with your setup. I have GoogleTV I can I watch netflix, Amazon prime movies, and other streaming movies (youtube, crackle,etc..) they all have the same HD quality.

As a mater of fact I've never once heard anybody complain about the video quality on Netflix, just really the limited size of the movie selection.

As a reference my BB speed is only 5MBips

Also how are you watching netflix. Does you BR player support Netflix, are you streaming to the Fire and back to your TV?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
drjpreston
Enthusiast
drjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 & Fire
I don't have Netflix for my KF but it is jumpy on my TV. My Prime works GREAT on my KF. It is a nice bonus for a long time Prime member. I have side loaded a couple of movies as well and they also work great.
drjpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just an update, I did get the TV to properly display HD video from Netflix and to properly sync the audio with the picture.

I also got the Fire to properly display HD video from Netflix but the video is jumpy on occasion and the audio still is not properly synced with the picture.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I also got the Fire to properly display HD video from Netflix but the video is jumpy on occasion and the audio still is not properly synced with the picture.
Are you sure it's HD? The reviews I read indicated the fire only does SD, there was also a side by side shot with the nook tablet where you could see the diff.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Are you sure it's HD? The reviews I read indicated the fire only does SD, there was also a side by side shot with the nook tablet where you could see the diff.
No clue as Netflix doesn't label the resolution, but it looks good.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #27
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I stream mine through my Nintendo Wii Wifi (using HD Wii cables) with no problem. I had a Roku box but sadly, it died.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #28
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
I'm with those who have no complaint whatever with Netflix streaming on the Fire. I wore headphones and watched it in a guesthouse with rather limited wi-fi.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #29
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Something tells me the OP topic subject line should be changed. It is misleading to newcomers right off the bat cause it doesn't SUX and they may be interested in the Fire with at least some interest in using Netflix. I subject topic of "how was your experience with Netflix" or something like that better serves the thread.

I'm just saying.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #30
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
Granted I've only had my Fire for a few hours, but I've had no issue with Netflix so far. I'm watching something on it right now - no freezing, smooth picture, audio and video synced. I also watch Netflix on my TV all the time (via Wii) and don't have issues.
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote