Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #31
klebs
klebs began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I run Kindle on an iPhone 3GS. The "iPhone Explorer" method works well for me when I use my wife's iMac, but I was looking for something with a few less mouse clicks.

I notice that Calibre also supports direct connect to the iPhone via its "apple device interface" plugin. If you go into the plugin configuration menu, though, it looks like it's only set up to transfer PDF and EPUB formats, not MOBI, which Kindle needs. And it doesn't look like I can set a destionation directory (i.e. apps/Kindle/Library/eBooks). Anybody have any insights regarding this issue?
klebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #32
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The reason that it limited to iBooks is that the Apple Device Interface interworks with iTunes via its automation interface, and iBooks is the only application that iTunes supports for the purpose of book handling. On that basis there is not much point in sending to iBooks a format it cannot handle.

Note also that there is no way of writing directly to a folder on an Apple device, so the normal method that is used by Calibre for many other devices does not work. If this restriction is ever lifter by Apple then other options become available.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #33
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
So does sync work on the kindle app for the ipod? if yes, what are the steps to get that to work?
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #34
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
ok never mind I figured it out on my own. I have to download and install iExplorer and sideload the file to my ipod touch! and sync works!

When I tried using the built in documents copying found in itunes the sync was
greyed out/disabled.

this is sooo exciting!

PS: this is iexplorer for pc and ipod touch kindle app
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #35
pickdriving
GAP
pickdriving began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Smile Thanks

Many Thanks,
Spent hours looking for solution then hit on your message.
Cover also came up on my iPad. (iPad 2)
Graham
pickdriving is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad kindle