Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 11-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
kcjeffro
kcjeffro began at the beginning.

Device: Surface Go 3
Calibre EPub Viewer and Onscreen Keyboard

On both Windows 10 and 11, when making annotations to an ePub, onscreen keyboard flow text input (aka 'swyping') doesn't work in EPub Viewer's text input window. This means that I have to actually type the input. As I'm using a Surface Go Tablet as, well, a tablet, without a keyboard, this is a huge pain. As a really lame but functional workaround, I'm actually flowing my notes into Joplin App and then doing a copy/paste into EPub Viewer.

Some quick Googling strongly suggests that Windows is likely detecting the annotation window as a password field.

I'm not a strong programmer, especially on Windows, and I really don't understand the Windows detection logic at play here. With that in mind, here are my questions:
  1. Is there a better way to work around this? Maybe a setting that I'm missing, or a registry edit?
  2. If not, is it possible for the Calibre devs to address this in a future release?
  3. If this is dev-addressable, how do I get this on their radar?

Thanks!
kcjeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The annotations field is an html textarea rendered and managed by Qt WebEngine (aka Chromium). Why windows would think thats a password field I have no idea.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's Microsoft's problem. They are stupidly trying to have the same OS GUI for a touch screen and a desktop. Since Windows 7 they are doing both wrong.

Try a 3rd party screen keyboard or a different OS if you want touch to work properly. I gave away two Win10 tablets.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote