Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-09-2022, 08:25 AM   #1
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Is an OG Maxi Lumi still worth it? Should I go Note Air 2 instead?

Hi all,

I know there's a thread for buying advice but I thought it's better to go to the Onyx people because it's Onyx-only. I've been thinking of buying a Note Air 2 but it's pretty expensive. I've had a Max Lumi (original) pop up on my radar in excellent condition secondhand and I'm wondering if it's worth getting/paying the price still.

My main purpose for getting either one is mainly reading on a big screen. I spend all day in a chair and my preferred reading method is with a big screen because of my eyes. It's taken me time to understand the appeal of e-ink but I do notice a difference between my Boox Leaf (which I initially hated) and using Moon+ via Bluestacks on my Surface Pro. It definitely better for my eyes but I struggle to hold things for long, even something light like a 170g Leaf. It would be sitting on a tray or a lapboard like a monitor rather than being held for most of its life.
  • The new Note Air 2 would cost me a good $770+ in my currency at the moment.
  • A new Max Lumi (OG or 2) is just too expensive to justify. The secondhand one is $600.

For note taking which I might do sometimes I feel the 10.3 would be better for my situation it's rare I can sit at a desk though that's more of a bonus than a top priority. For reading though..10.3 would be OK but I much prefer the size of my 12.3 Surface Pro 6. 13.3 might be a little big...sigh (edit: actually it probably wouldn't be too big it'd fit for my situation and I'd adjust. I guess it's the other concerns that are paramount here).

I guess my main concern are:
  1. What's Onyx's record w/device lifespan re: upgrade support
  2. How important is that anyway? I try keep Onyx offline anyway and when I do it's mostly firewalled w/AFWall+.
  3. Is there important/major feature differences I'm missing out on by staying Android 10 (my Leaf is 10 plus the OG Max Lumi is I think) while the Note Air 2 is on Android 11?
  4. As I am new to e-ink, is there major important differences with screen between Max Lumi and the newer Note Air 2? I notice the Note Air 2 has a slightly higher DPI but this Carta stuff means nothing to me otherwise.
  5. Anyone know what the writing experience feels like on both a Max Lumi and Note Air 2 to compare? The most "paper like" feeling would be pretty cool.
  6. I suppose I don't know how old it is. A 2017 possible release vs. a 2021 earliest possible release is pretty big in tech really. What do you guys think?

Thanks, sorry for rambling I usually do.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 05-09-2022 at 08:47 AM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #2
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Never mind. It's sold now. Interesting.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I think we're always fighting with obsolescence anyway so I'd want a good discount on anything a few years old, maybe 50%.

Have you considered getting a small Wacom digitizer so that you could look upright at a big screen but have the digitzer in your lap? I know that it doesn't have quite the same correlation as drawing on the screen, but the ergonomics could be better.

Maybe you need a Mira?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I'll respond to a few of your questions for future reference!

1) When I bought my first Onyx device (a T68, some years ago), customer support was dismal to nonexistent. It has improved significantly, though some people will tell you that there remains room for improvement. As for upgrades, in the earlier years Onyx would offer an upgrade or two and then essentially abandon the device. They claimed that hardware would not allow for an upgrade in the Android version they used. I don't know if that is true or not. This, too, has improved in recent years. Onyx is better at offering firmware upgrades for many of their devices.

2) Upgrades matter if there is some firmware issue with your device that gets in the way of what you want to do, or if there's an upgraded app you use and you want the upgrades. Otherwise, if all is working well for you, upgrades don't matter.

3) I haven't worked with the Lumi. I have a Nova 2 with Android 9 and a Note Air 2 with Android 11. They have firmware 3.2.1 and 3.2.2, respectively. The features are almost identical.

The one question I would ask about a used Onyx device is about the battery health. Some Onyx owners - though by no means all - report that their batteries began to lose significant charging capacity in a year or two. You'll want to make sure the battery is good.

That said, you may be able to get a Note Air 2 used. Or go down one step and get a used Note Air.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I would say on the battery issue that devices divide themselves into two classes:
  • Ones that come apart with a guitar pick. These have a seam on the side which can be worked. They may be difficult but after you take them apart they simply snap back together again.
  • Ones that use adhesive tape. These have a metal back that wraps around and a tiny crack between the edge and the faceplate. They can be difficult to take apart and the only way that they'll be the same afterwards is if you remove all the old tape and put new tape on.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...tape-4-mm-wide
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:14 AM   #6
bazookajoe
Connoisseur

Thanks both of you for your help.

I thought about the Mira monitor but price is a real factor for me on a pension. I'm not willing or able to go much above that Note Air 2 price range and with the Note Air 2 I get more functionality and weight is a factor too as I often have things on my lap on a board. The small Mira is $1,149.83 in my currency. Ouch. It is a cool product tho.

I've taken a gamble numerous times on secondhand tech because of my financial restraints but they're still quite new devices, like within a year of release I keep a sharp eye out on eBay for early upgraders who onsell their Samsungs each year and that's been a good way to get up to 50% off flagship tech but I think the OG Max Lumi is probably a bit old now giving it some thought.

Oh, I am just not going to be replacing battery either. I've seen people here talking about it and Renate opening up and tinkering around and that goes right over my head that is just not going to happen with me LOL. My Leaf is locked up like Fort Knox as is (second option in Renate's list) I'd be extra nervous messing about with a $6-700 device.

I'll hold off for now and first see if exchange rates get better (price went up dang near $50 in just over a week for the Note Air 2, case + shipping) and maybe keep an eye out for a secondhand Max Lumi 2 or Note Air 2 knowing they're of recent vintage on eBay which is my usual custom. Had a bit of FOMO there.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 05-10-2022 at 07:17 AM.