Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
My History of fix requests

With CES coming up and having seen the A6 and A9 versions on the web site and expecting the firmware will be similar to what we have now I feel there are things that need some focus in the firmware. I noticed that this forum has gotten some quick responses even on items I don't consider as really important such as a clock on the screen, so I am going to solicit your help in finding items that need fixing and getting Jinke to do it. I am going to post most if not all of my emails to Astak to be forwarded to Jinke requesting changes. Some of these date back to pre ADE implementation and they talk about ePUB that is no longer applicable but the older ePUB support was very similar to support in other formats which need fixing just as bad as ePUB did and because of this I think I will post them anyway. Note that they are in sequence order as I sent them to Jinke.

It will be a lot of reading but I hope the forum group will be able to steer the effort to what we need.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a review I did and emailed 4/6/2009. This is focused on older ePUB support but the items apply to other formats as well as they all used a common engine and philosophy at the time. Most formats have not been updated for years.

I have been testing the EZ Reader and have a few comments on things that don't work well. First of all let me say I am very impressed with the hardware product. The battery life with the Keyboard locked is amazing. I can't even seem to get the battery to run down after weeks of intermittent use.

I have been looking at the ePUB format in particular but the comments will often be applicable to other formats as well since the same reader software is being used. The comments are numbered, not because of priority but just to be able to refer to them easily.

1. Please look at the reference ePUB files at: http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/A...d%20Resources/

In particular look at: People of the Abyss, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and This Dynamic Earth. Others may be useful as well.

2. There needs to be support for special characters. This is very important for ePUB, HTML and any format derived from html. I wrote some articles on this. Please see:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ISO-8859-1 and
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Special_characters

These articles identify the characters beyond standard ascii that need to be supported. They should be supported by the number code (in decimal or in hex) and the word code. (In the case of 8859-1 the codes as binary should also work (or even better Windows-1252). The examples show the use of many of the characters such as n-dash, curly quotes, degrees, etc.

3. If you can support UTF-8 then do it as well.

4. ePUB is a reflowable format. You treat is as if it were a page format like PDF. It is not. It should be more like mobi and the text should be continuous even when zooming.

5. ePUB support links like mobi does. There needs to be a menu item for follow link on pages that have them.

6. The three reference ePUBs (People of the Abyss, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and This Dynamic Earth.) do not show the first page but show a blank instead.

7. The People of the Abyss does not page correct when images are present. If the image cuts the page at the bottom then the next page will be missing some text. This Dynamic Earth also cuts images but does not seem to have this problem.

8. Cutting images is a serious problem as can be seen in these samples. I suggest that there be a view image choice on the menu that can open the image viewer on the diagram on the page (next/previous) can work if there is more than one image on the page. The image would then be shown full screen.

9. A similar capability should be present for tables as they can get cut pretty bad also.

10. The menu item 4 (Goto Index) is not the proper name for this as it really goes to the Table of Contents. It should say Goto TOC.

11. The about function (menu 5) should be better than it is.
a. The title currently just truncates if it is too long. It should wrap around at the right edge even if there is no space. The current Title is not the title, it is the file name.
b. There should be more items, such as Author, Genre, and more taken from the meta data not just the file name. All should wrap if needed.

12. The base font size should be adjustable by the user using a preference setting. All other fonts should be scaled from the base font size. Currently the default size is too small for some people. Not everyone is age 20 with perfect eye sight. When there is less ambient light available the user should be able to increase the font size to help see the text better. An eBook reader needs this feature.

13. When the margin is small to begin with the first zoom function should just be skipped. If the font size does not change much it is a waste. This would make toggling directions similar with only two.

14. The first and second zoom can have blank pages. The program should detect a blank page and skip it. It is annoying having to page over these blank pages (This happens on PDF's also and is just as annoying).

15. When opening a ePUB the total page count is wrong. I usually says /2. The display is being shown before the total is calculated I think and then not updated.

16. What does the page count mean? Is it a set number of bytes? Is it divided in half for landscape? The manual is unclear.

17. The <pre> tag needs to be supported. It should honor all spaces, line feeds, tabs, etc. except that the lines should wrap if they are too long (left justified only)

18. Hyphenation does not work correctly. Is it set for English? A preference item should permit turning it off.

19. In the eBook Hesse-Siddhartha (get it from the same place) the apostrophes, quotes, and some other punctuation has spaces before and/or after the character even though they are not supposed to be there. Note that this book has curly quotes so they must have been recognized differently in this case but they are still wrong due to the extra spaces.

20. It italic and bold fonts are available in the font set they should be used instead of making by slanting or pixel doubling the straight text. These techniques should used if there is no special font sets.

whew, that is enough for now. I will send a similar list for the mobi format as it has its own set of unique problems. I also have some comments for image mode.
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

A second email generated on 4/6/2009

Here are some more changes for EZ Reader. Note that both this and the previous mail was for the Jan 20, 2009 Hanlin firmware release.

The mobi format looks better, handles curly quotes etc. better than the ePUB. The text is also larger by default. But it has its own set of improvements.

1. Font face can be changed but the size only has 3 too close sizes (but it is better than the standard use) and it cannot use downloaded fonts.

2. The goto Index (should be TOC) on the menu doesn't work even when the 7 key hotkey does work. It seems that Goto ... performs this function. What is the difference?

3. TOC use is way to difficult. It should be as simple as it is on the other formats.
a. press key 7
b. select TOC
c. menu item Follow link (two key presses)
d. input the link number (very small in the text screen)
e. press ok - necessary if there are more than 10 choices.
thus 6 key presses are required. This needs to be simple. And it is not even documented.

4. Bookmarks are much harder than they should be - should also be like the standard tool. It is not documented either and difficult to guess.

5. Page back can take a long time. The location should be cached as often you need to go back just after you did next page.

6. Next page doesn't always take. Sometimes have to press again.

7. EZ Reader will work more or less with Mobipocket Reader on a pc. You can set up the DRM support. However, Mobipocket Readers assumes a eBooks directory and will only work there while EZ Reader ships with an EBOOK directory that will not be found.

8. Mobipocket DRM has a library check capability using temporary keys that expire. This does not work as there is not way to set the date and time on the unit. There needs to be a utility mode menu item that can be used to do this and a few other items (more about that later)

9. Mobipocket has a dictionary capability. This needs to be supported. It does need to be defined before it can be implemented properly. I could even be made to provide dictionary lookup for eBooks in other formats.

10. Like ePUB - Mobi needs a view image mode and probably a view table mode.

11. The About function works better in mobi than standard but it still needs to wrap on the right side if the text is too long.

The image viewer is quite good and capable of representing about 12 effect levels of gray through dithering. (When more hardware levels are available you may want to have an option to not dither to make screen display faster but for now it is good) There are however some changes needed.

1. The image always leaves the bar on the bottom. It would be nice to make this optional or perhaps a zoom would remove it.

3. There are 8 levels or brightness and 8 levels of contrast that can be set. OK will save the setting but only for that session and cancel with set the default. The default is 5 and 5. This skews the gray scale too much resulting in reduced range. The default should be 5 brightness and
4 contrast. I have test images if you need them to see what is happening. Perhaps the default should be set by the user. This controls not only the image viewer but the images in the books.

4. The upper size of an image seems to be about 4 Mega-pixel. Too big and you will get an error message but no help. What is the upper limit really?

5. An about item would be good for images as well. Should give the pixel count, name and size of file and perhaps more. (could be a hot key, there are plenty not used)

6. A full size view would be nice using arrows to pan the image. The two sets of arrows would be interpreted as up/down and left/right with pans of about 400 pixels.

7. Note that the image viewer plus zip/rar support is really enough to support cbz and cbr formats for Manga, comic book viewing and books made out of images. This is already there. The only need is to keep track of the image you are on when you leave so that you can return. Although the zoom enhancement number 6 would be needed for some images to read them.

The basic library screen has some nice features such as directory support, zip support and rar support. However, it needs a few more features.

1. The author and tile from the book should be displayed in two lines (there is plenty of room for that). The genre should be shown if available above the date size if possible.

2. although mutually exclusive with choice 1 there should be a choice to increase the font size for users that need this.

3. The zip/rar support shows up and works like a directory only there is one difference. bookmarks and the place you are in a book is not saved if you view a book inside a zip file. This should be changed so that they behave exactly like a directory with bookmark and current location works.

4. There needs to be a utility menu function It should have:
1. set/display clock and date
2. create a directory
3. move a file from one place to another. This would include moving from the SD card to internal memory or from one directory to another.
4. erase a file.
5. user preference options as needed. Similar to settings but for applications.

5. The menu option 1 music is playing... should be changed to just "Music" or "Music Controller"

Well, that is enough for now.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

An email generated on 4/13/2009

Here are a couple more suggestions. User options/preferences are always
good to have. The defaults can be set for a simple user interface and
the options provide the power that experienced users want.

1. The left/right, top/bottom margins should be specifiable by the user
for ePUB, PDB, Mobi, TXT, etc. formats. This allows the user to
configure the look that they want. Some want a border around the text
while others want the maximum text on a page to reduce the page turns
and number of pages.

2. ePUB currently splits images if they appear too near the bottom of
the page. This should be configurable allowing the user can choose to
push the full image to the next page where it can be displayed in full when in portrait mode. In some eBooks it is very important to be able to see the full image at once. (This is in addition to the previously requested choice of viewing eBook images in the image viewer at full size)

I continue to use the product and gain more experience which leads to more ideas.

A second email on 4/13 said:

Sorry for the extra post but I have identified a few more things.

1. book marks seem to store only the page number, however if the font size is changed by zooming from 1 to 2 then then page numbers change and the bookmarks go to the wrong place. (The was tested on a PalmDOC file but other formats are effected as well.) Either the bookmark needs to reference a binary place in the file so that it will go there no matter what or the font size has to saved as well and then when you jump to the book mark the font will change to the size it was when you saved it. I prefer the first solution (save the binary location of the top of the page).

2. While reading a PDF I noticed that the typographic ligature fi was missing in the text on this reader. I had identified the need to support special characters in the ePUB in an earlier memo but it turns out that PDF can have problems also. This is due to Adobe using typographic ligatures. fi and fl are pretty common but ff and ft can also be encountered. (by typographic ligature I mean a reverse ligature where the characters are moved further apart rather than closer together like they are in ae.)

3. Here is one on the carrying case: If you read a lot in landscape you will notice that the unit tends to slip out of the case. It needs to be more secure. This is particularly bothersome for PDF files that can often only be read in landscape and even then you have to have good eyes.

Last edited by DaleDe; 01-04-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Here is an email sent 5/21/2009

Here is some more feedback for Jinke. I am running the april firmware.

The current firware has a lot of limitations with HTML. These limitations are for raw HTML and all the html derived formats such as ePUB, CHM, HTML, LIT. The HTML support is very basic, no italics, no bold, no sup, no sub, pre won't wrap, no CSS support, no href. There is table support but it doesn't deal with too wide a table very well.

href links should be supported in all html flavors, particularly ePUB.

LIT has no toc support and page turns are really slow.

Font sizes really need to be specifiable by the user and the ePUB ones are too small IMHO.

Hyphenation is terrible and no way to turn it off. TH is a digraph in English (replace for Greek theta) and should never be split. The current algorithm loves to split it. I would suggest that you allow turning hyphenation off. hyphenation, even if on, should never split a word between pages.

Full justification should be done using pixels instead of characters. Just add the full width of the line and subtract from 600 then add one empty pixel between each character in the line starting at one end. (swap the starting end for each line). With a standard line of about 50 to 60 characters this will permit considerable ability to justify.

I forgot one very irritating problem. When the quote mark, single or double appears the EZ Reader automatically inserts some spaces. This means that it's becomes it' s which is very irritating. It also means that a starting " is separated from the word and sometimes ends up on different lines. It must be intentional but I can't (can' t) understand why they would do that. This happens in all html formats including ePUB and pdb.
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Here is an email generated 6/15/2009 regarding a comment that this reader is "rock solid" I do believe that many of these problems are fixed by now.

I noticed that you are saying the current eBook Reader is rock solid. While it works I would not go quite that far. Here is the behavior I observed.

After a boot it works for quite a while. Then you may notice that it starts missing page turns. You have to hit it sometimes up to three times to get it to take. The light indicates that the button press was seen but the reader does not take action. Another thing that will happen over time is the unit will just lock up, eventually crashing the book you are reading and sometimes crashing back to a full reboot. Once the full reboot happens then it works for a while again. When it locks up I always take a note of the page number because, after a restart it will not remember the current page but the page I started on instead.

I suspect this is a resource problem where the application is not freeing up resources when it no longer needs them, a memory leak. The memory is eventually running out and the behavior gets erratic. This is a fairly serious problem. How long it takes to appear varies depend on how many images or other resource hogs there are while reading. Jumping around also tends to bring on the behavior.

Another smaller problem, but easy to fix, it the battery gauge tends to toggle up and down after a transition. That is, it will read 3 bars, drop to 2 bars and then later back to 3 bars. This switching back and forth happens for quite a while. This behavior is because you are not latching the value. Once the bar drops, the fact that it dropped should be remembered and not allowed to jump back up until the next time you charge the unit. This will prevent this up and down movement of the bar.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

After ADE was implemented and a few wrinkles were ironed out of the initial release I sent this email on 8/14/2009

The ADE implementation is vastly better that the previous ePUB support.
However, Here are a few features/bugs that need to be fixed in the
latest ADE. (Some of these should also apply to PDF mode)

1. the recovery from a keyboard lock should refresh the screen.
2. No one likes the jump in font sizes. The one marked little should be
medium and the jumps are too big. (Having configurable font sizes would
be one nice way to fix this)
3. There need to be a menu item for "follow link". The lack of links is
a serious deficit as compared to MOBI and to the competitions
implementation of ePUB using ADE. (There should really be a return to
previous page as well but as you are running out of space on the menu
bar the goto page button could pre-fill the previous page in the box
which would erase if the user entered data.)
4. Many people don't like the page numbers on the right margin as they
interfere with the reading. There should be an option to move them to
the bottom bar. Note that there are times when the page number is
different than the current page.
5. The bottom bar is missing but that is actually good. You can always
press the ok to see the information on the bar and ok again to remove
it. However the currentpage/totalpage entry is black. It should be white
like it is in all the other formats to make it easier to read.
6. JPG images are zoomed when the text is zoomed but when they get too
big you can't see them all. To fix this there needs to be a pan mode.

What I would suggest is that if you hold down the zoom key for two
seconds you would enter image zoom mode. The mode would continue until
you hit the exit key. While in this mode the behavior would be similar
to the description I previously sent for the images display. The 4 arrow
keys 2 on the sides and two on the bottom would behave as pan keys
moving the image in the direction pushed by nearly a screen. The zoom
key would continue to work with the image to size it but when exit was
tapped the screen would return to the text zoom level and the image
would return to that zoom as well.

7. The info command should show more meta data such as genre and
description.

8. Think about having configuration items override the CSS settings.
Margins is a big one. Often the default margin is inappropriate for this
screen size. Inter paragraph spacing on/off and paragraph first line
indent would be good items as well. There are a few others such as the ability to choose left justification vs full justification.

9. My previous suggestion of using button 6 in the mobi style should be
implemented to increase the number of book marks. i.e. pressing 6 would
continue to add bookmarks and press and hold would allow selection by
having multiple pages.

10. Tables - tables can be wider than the display. To handle this when a table is encounter the next page button should pan the table to the right until the table edge is display. Another push of the next page would move to the left to display additional lines of the table with the process repeating until the full table is displayed. While inside the table the previous button should move left in the table reversing the action of the next page button. If there is more data on the page beyond the table then exiting the table by using next page to reach the end should display this additional data. Of course, once the end of the table is reached the next/prev buttons should revert to normal operation.

That should be enough for now.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

An email 8/19/2009

I just built an eBook to test the multi-level capability on ePUB with the EZ reader and here is what I found.

1. When you first enter the book the multi-level content works. However, from then on when you press the TOC button you will only get the inside last level and cannot return to the main TOC. You must exit the book to get to the TOC once again and then only once. There needs to be a way to get back to the top. Perhaps the return (exit) button. Or just always display from the top level.

2. You must always select the bottom level to get to the book. However, often the upper level is the preferred one since it may have introduction material before the sub-level.

To fix problem two I suggest that when you select a multi-level entry the first choice on the menu should be the same entry you just selected and then list the sub-levels. This way if you want the top level it will always be choice 1.

I just realized that the return/exit does take an TOC up one level so I was incorrect in one of the earlier posts. This needs to be documented. The other problem is still a problem.

This email was send 8/19/2009 - It was a response to a request for clarification by Jinke on the TOC implementation.

For example suppose a 3 level deep toc

A
--A2
----A3
----B3
--B2
B

Where A2 is a section under A and A3 is a section under A2

Now if you use the menu you will notice that A has subsections and B does not. Selecting B will go directly but selecting A will bring up a list with A2 and B2 on it. A2 will also have a subsection A2 so selecting A2 will bring up A3.

There is no way to select A or A2 directly and have the unit go there. A3 must be selected to get the unit to go there and it will be missing all the stuff that was in A before A2 appear and all the stuff in A2 before A3 appeared in the document.

Currently selecting A shows:
1 A2 - more subsections.
2 B2

What I am suggesting is that Selecting A would show
1 A
2 A2 - more subsections
3 B2

Now to view A directly select 1 and you will go there. If you select 3 you will go to B2. If you select 2 you would get a screen that shows:
1 A2
2 A3
3 B3

As you can see you can select any section you want at any depth. Does that make it clearer? It also has the advantage of displaying the level that the sublevels are a part of. It is always selection 1.

Last edited by DaleDe; 01-04-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Here is an email from 11/24/2009

Jinke needs to make the 6" and the 5" have similar capabilities as much as possible. They are both current units but they seem to be abandoning the 6" product while the 5" gets all the attention. However, the 5" still is missing some things that are on the 6". Here is some things that need attention.

Bookshelf:

1. The 5" screen menu text is too small for many people. In this case the 6" does not scale down well. Either pump it up on the 5" or add a choice for both devices where the small is like today and the large increases the size so that the 5" device is the same font size as the small on the 6". This should make the 6" big enough to call it help for the seeing impaired.

2. The 6" shows author on a second line on FB2, Wolf formats. The should on the 5" as well and more formats should include author on the second line. There should also be a sort by author added.

3. Press and holding the number key should bring up the about screen for the eBook selected with the number. This is in addition to the about inside the eBook itself and should show the same data about the book. Whenever possible the actual title and author should be shown in the about screen. This is true for pdf, epub, doc, mobi at least. I think djvu as well. For pdb show the first 32 bytes of the file, null terminated, as the title. The <title> line from HTML should be shown. (There is also meta data in HTML for author and content.) When available also show the description. All lines need to wrap if needed, don't truncate. To make this feature even better you might consider showing the cover graphic (small version). This screen could have multiple pages if the description is long. While we are talking about this about screen a menu could be added to delete the file and perhaps other things like copy (copy the file to the other storage area) as is done in lbook.

4. When a book is started the 6" device shows a graphic in the center of the screen. Why was this dropped in the 5"?

Contents page

1. The 6" shows a graphic on the left to indicate a submenu but the 5" does not.

2. I believe the 1 entry should traverse to the entry by that name in the book, rather than back up. The exit/return key can always to used to back up. Currently there is no way to visit a toc entry unless it is the bottom one in the hierarchy.

Formats:

ADE: links should be supported on both devices on both ePUB and PDF. This is critically important to have on both devices. I believe the 9-0 keys are the wrong choice for traversing links as they are too often used to change pages. Now that bookmarking has changed I would recommend that the 4-5 keys be dedicated to this purpose. They are just about the 9-0 keys and the user will easily associate the arrow function to these keys as well. A long press of the 4 key can serve as a back key to traverse back through a stack created when you go forward following a link or even a page jump. This back functionality is long overdue and very important. A long 5 could be used to go forward in the stack for consistency but it is much less important.

5 fonts sizes takes too long to circle around back to the size you want. I suggest the 3 key perform a zoom out (go backward though the font sizes) The idea of zoom in and zoom out makes things easier to understand.

PDF: XPDF is on again off again on both the 6" and 5" as an alternate format. It should always be offered as some PDF's are images that look like text and ADE doesn't zoom well on images. Most of the time PDF reflow looks like it is only wrapping lines not paragraphs. It needs to wrap paragraphs. The lines in a paragraph should all have the same separation and be balanced in length.

DJVU: Has the traditional 3 zoom levels where the last one shift to landscape only in this case the margins reappear making the font shrink rather than get bigger. This makes this zoom level unusable on most documents and really makes DJVU useless on the smaller 5" screen. (There is a new DJVU viewer available as an addon for V3, it is better than what you have but I don't like the keymapping the programmer used.

CHM: This format is basically unusable. I have attached a small sample to show a few of the problems. CHM is the help format for Windows so compare how it looks on windows to how it looks on the device.

HTML: This format is also terrible. The same sample in html is supplied. After all CHM is compressed html. HTML has No bold or italics, no following links, no images, zoom levels are bad. It needs lots of work. Note that there are characters in the sample that should be displayed but are not in both formats.

LIT: Needs improved speed and then other items can be addressed.

DOC: More than any other format this one needs to actually honor the font size in points, rather than pixels and then the paragraphs need to wrap. It could be a major differentiator along with CHM and DJVU toward distancing yourself from the competition.

MOBI has a nasty bug in that it eats memory and then locks up. This tends to happen most often if you lock the keyboard while displaying this format. This needs fixing. At some point the link following user interface should be changed to the new format I proposed about for ADE.

I forgot one thing. The system specific files and folders should be invisible. Currently restore and many other folders clutter up the bookshelf. Preceding them with a . will make typically make them invisible in Linux and certainly should be. Only files the user needs to use should be visible.

Last edited by DaleDe; 01-04-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

An email from 12/22/2009

Here is a suggestion for Jinke on the needs for recent files changes.
Somewhere along the line the recent files list has gotten broken. I believe it used to work fine on the V3 but not on the V5. The LBook version works fine so it seems to be the pocket pro. The problem is that it is not updated as often as it needs to be. The list should be updated every time the screen is displayed.

If you bring up the recent files from the bookshelf menu it works fine and displays the files correctly. However if you start a book, not the first one, and then exit the book the recent files list does not get updated. To update it you have to exit the recent files list and start it again. It should automatically get updated when you leave the book so that it is correct.

If you are looking at the recent files list and bring up the menu you can switch from the internal memory to the SD card or back. This is a great feature (undocumented by the way) that allows the user to easily use the two recent files lists together without exiting one. However, again if you switch to the other recent file list is may not be current for that device. Again the list is not updated when you switch memory locations. This also needs correcting.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry this is out of order. It dates to 8/19/2009

BACK FEATURE

A quick note on the back feature. It looks like Jinke tried to implement the back feature work around that I specified in an earlier email but they did it wrong.

In ePUB if you select goto page the information on the bottom is prefilled with a number. Unfortunately that number is always the current page you are on. This is not what I suggested.

What I suggested was that when a link was followed inside a book the source page be remembered and if the user select goto page then that remembered page would be pre-filled in so that the user to just hit ok to return to the page they were on prior to following the link, A quick back function.

I also said the number should be in reverse (white on black) and if the user tapped any number key it should replace that prefilled in number.

Note this is really not a full solution in that it only does one level of "back" but it is better than nothing. (Of course the tool could remember other page numbers and supply them when appropriate.)

Likely a better solution is to devote a key to this function such as the 9 key which would be redefined like the 0 key is when a follow link is being used. This could work on both the V5 and V3.

THUMBWHEEL FEATURE

Another good function suggested by users is that of permitting a dynamic redefinning of the thumbwheel function.

1. When the user depresses the thumb wheel 3 choices would appear on the screen. (optionally only choice 2, 3, and 4 could appear if Jinke does not want to implement the use of the thumbwheel to operate the main menu.) The choice order could also be different.

1. main menu
2. page next/prev
3. link next/prev
4. Volume up/down

The current setting would be highlighted in the above list. If the user selected the up or down on the thumbwheel the hightlighted selection in the above list would change, either up or down as appropriate. If the user depressed the thumbwheel again the highlighted selection would be kept and remembered for future use of the up/down thumbwheel function.

This permits the current next/prev function, a replacement link next/prev function instead of the 9/0 keys above or allows adjustment of the volume control which is currently awkward for TTS and music.

MAIN MENU implementation using the thumbwheel.
Pushing the button down could also bring up the main menu if choice 1 is selected.

If the function to bring up the main menu is selected the main menu should appear as it does today and while it is one the screen the thumbwheel up/down functions should highlight entries on the main menu. And if one of those is highlighted and the user depresses the thumbwheel then that selection should be activated and the thumbwheel default choice should revert to nex/prev page. This feature permits almost total control from the thumbwheel as a alternate UI.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
An email from 12/22/2009

Here is a suggestion for Jinke on the needs for recent files changes.
Somewhere along the line the recent files list has gotten broken. I believe it used to work fine on the V3 but not on the V5. The LBook version works fine so it seems to be the pocket pro. The problem is that it is not updated as often as it needs to be. The list should be updated every time the screen is displayed.

If you bring up the recent files from the bookshelf menu it works fine and displays the files correctly. However if you start a book, not the first one, and then exit the book the recent files list does not get updated. To update it you have to exit the recent files list and start it again. It should automatically get updated when you leave the book so that it is correct.

If you are looking at the recent files list and bring up the menu you can switch from the internal memory to the SD card or back. This is a great feature (undocumented by the way) that allows the user to easily use the two recent files lists together without exiting one. However, again if you switch to the other recent file list is may not be current for that device. Again the list is not updated when you switch memory locations. This also needs correcting.
Wow! Thanks for your efforts.

On the Recent files list. I noticed that the most recently viewed is not at the top of the list, except when it is the first time viewed.
Since the Clock/Calendar is unreliable (easy to reset), Might some sort of last view index number be assigned and used as a sort option?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
Dale, great job.

I can add something: the LIT reader does not display accents in Spanish properly, depending on the version you may have, no accents or a silliest "wovel-space-tilde" that makes it unreadable.

"camión" appears as "camio 'n"
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote