Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
giddion
Connoisseur
giddion doesn't littergiddion doesn't litter

Device: samsung i910 now - cybook later
Multiple computers one db?

Is anyone using Calibre on a share and accessing the same files with multiple computers?

I tried using the built in webserver and I get the main screen menu of the website with a popup that says:
Code:
Error : error
undefined
In my home I have 5 PC desktops and 2 Macbook Pro laptops. I have the Calibre files and database on my main PC with those folders shared. On my Mac I mounted the SMB shares and attempted to point Calibre at that mount/directory when I do that I get a racetrack IO error.

On my files I have a lot where the meta data needs to be updated and it would just be more comfortable to do it from my laptop. But file space wise I want to keep the files and DB on the big PC.

Last edited by giddion; 02-10-2009 at 08:50 PM.
giddion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
giddion
Connoisseur

Cleared up the webs erver issue, figured out that a number of the books I had imported with author blank. I set all those to unknown as a quick fix and the web server is working.
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I store the calibre database on dropbox. Then no matter what computer I'm on I have access to my full library. I haven't installed the windows version, but on the three mac's in the house it does work.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
giddion
Connoisseur

Ok so I've been able to open the database/library from another PC but I still can't open the same db/library from the any of the Macs. I'm guessing there is a DB format difference between the 2 somehow.

I still have a question though, will I have a database corruption issue if I have the web server component running on one pc and I'm editing meta data and removing books from a different one?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have never tested concurrent access to the calibre db so backup frequently, but in principle it should work fine.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
giddion
Connoisseur

Thanks, should I just be backing up the .db file or the whole library?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the whole library
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
giddion
Connoisseur

after backup I started webserver on computer where db was local, then open Calibre on the other computer and got an error can't open db in use by another process.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Strange I can run two processes on the same db om my computer. What network filesystem are you using to share the db?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
giddion
Connoisseur

This is the complete error:

database is locked RemoteTraceback (most recent call last): File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 80, in run File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 40, in get OperationalError: database is locked
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\tags.pyo", line 44, in recount
File "calibre\gui2\tags.pyo", line 73, in refresh
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 805, in get_categories
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 785, in get
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 107, in run
DatabaseException: database is locked
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 80, in run
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 40, in get
OperationalError: database is locked
Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have seen that error occasionally even with just one copy of Calibre accessing the database. Normally I just click OK and carry on. Whether it is more significant or more frequent with 2 copies of calibre accessing the database I have no idea.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
giddion
Connoisseur

In this case if you click ok and try to open, edit, save meta data you still get the error. Only way to clear it was to completely exit Calibre on both systems and restart on one.

I'm going to look at the Calibre2Web script as an alternative I think.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm well not much I can suggest for that. Sorry.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #14
SunethCF
SunethCF began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is this working now?

I am using Calibre on a network share and accessing it using 2 PCs at the same time. Seems to be working fine for me (Didn't test much though).

I can see that Kovid has answered this in 2009.

But has Calibre been improved in this area and more importantly is this advisable?

Thanks,
Suneth
SunethCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunethCF View Post
I am using Calibre on a network share and accessing it using 2 PCs at the same time. Seems to be working fine for me (Didn't test much though).

I can see that Kovid has answered this in 2009.

But has Calibre been improved in this area and more importantly is this advisable?

Thanks,
Suneth
Warning:
1: 1 PC connected at a time. There are no protections against multiple accesses making mush out of your DB or Library.

2: Multiple Operating systems (Win/Linux/MAC) can cause things to go bump in the night

If you just need access to the books, Run the Content server on the PC that MANAGES the books and Metadata and access the books from 1 or more PC's (Same LAN, needs no other configuration) using a standard browser.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote