Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
marshies
Enthusiast
marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS650
Harry Potter Fan Fiction

I'm feeling the itch, the need, and the strong burning desire to read something from the Harry Potter universe. I'm one step away from memorizing the original works, so was hoping the wonderful souls on mobileread can send some recommendations my way! As I've aged in the last ten years, I'm finding randomly clicking on fanfiction.net and its sister sites less and less productive to yielding anything remotely readable, so site recommendations are also welcomed!

What I usually like:

Harry/Hermione pairings
An adventure book with the romance not being a key component

Thank you!!!
marshies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The James Potter series by G. Norman Lippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshies View Post
I'm feeling the itch, the need, and the strong burning desire to read something from the Harry Potter universe. I'm one step away from memorizing the original works, so was hoping the wonderful souls on mobileread can send some recommendations my way! As I've aged in the last ten years, I'm finding randomly clicking on fanfiction.net and its sister sites less and less productive to yielding anything remotely readable, so site recommendations are also welcomed!

What I usually like:

Harry/Hermione pairings
An adventure book with the romance not being a key component

Thank you!!!
For a continuation of the Potter family story go for the James Potter (Harry and Ginevra's oldest son) series by G. Norman Lippert. Unfortunately it's against the rules to give links to fan fiction here (Google is your friend). There are presently 3 of them with a 4th one due any time now.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
marshies
Enthusiast
marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS650
Many thanks and a little karma for you!
I will be googling and adding that onto my ereader tonight!
marshies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
flourish
Enthusiast
flourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura about

Device: kindle NT, Samsung galaxy reverb
The Golden Age by Arsinoe de Blassenville is an interesting read.
flourish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I've found the forum "Help! I'm Looking For..." which allows you to request story recommendations from other Harry Potter fans to be a good resource. It's a sub-forum of the Harry Potter fanfic site called FictionAlley, and people post there quite frequently.

http://forums.fictionalley.org/park/...?s=&forumid=19

There's also a sticky on that forum that has several recommendations for various Harry Potter archives.

http://forums.fictionalley.org/park/...hreadid=137438

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-06-2013 at 05:00 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The best HP fanfic I've ever read was the Psychic Serpent trilogy by Barb Purdom. I don't have the links handy but Google is your friend.

Seriously, her books replace books 5, 6 and 7 and in my opinion are better than Rowling's work.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Psychic Serpent trilogy by Barb Purdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
The best HP fanfic I've ever read was the Psychic Serpent trilogy by Barb Purdom. I don't have the links handy but Google is your friend.

Seriously, her books replace books 5, 6 and 7 and in my opinion are better than Rowling's work.
I's okay that you didn't have the links handy as posting fanfic links is prohibited on MobileRead. And thanks again for your help in locating those ePubs. After much fiddling and editing html code I finally got a much modified ePub to convert to mobi for my PaperWhite. Flightcrew reported so many errors in the code of the original (several hundred maybe) and Calibre worked for 4 hours and still hadn't finished, so that's when I started hand editing, phew! Anyway, thanks again.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
marshies, Try the trilogy Resonance, Revolution and Resolution by GreenGecko, all 3 are complete and each is around 750,000 words, kept me entertained for ages.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I's okay that you didn't have the links handy as posting fanfic links is prohibited on MobileRead.
WHAT?

I've posted fanfic links before. Nobody's ever said it was against the rules.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
WHAT?

I've posted fanfic links before. Nobody's ever said it was against the rules.
Read here starting at 34 and go to 43.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I's okay that you didn't have the links handy as posting fanfic links is prohibited on MobileRead. And thanks again for your help in locating those ePubs. After much fiddling and editing html code I finally got a much modified ePub to convert to mobi for my PaperWhite. Flightcrew reported so many errors in the code of the original (several hundred maybe) and Calibre worked for 4 hours and still hadn't finished, so that's when I started hand editing, phew! Anyway, thanks again.

No problem, Alan, glad I could help. They really are worth it.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool conversion

Quote:
No problem, Alan, glad I could help. They really are worth it.
Where did you get that code (looked like maybe a code generator)? It displays ok on my Fire 2nd gen using FBReader, but I really don't care to read novels on it, hence the conversion to mobi.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Quote:
Where did you get that code (looked like maybe a code generator)? It displays ok on my Fire 2nd gen using FBReader, but I really don't care to read novels on it, hence the conversion to mobi.

It's been some time so I'm not sure any more, but I think the files were saved html pages from MS Office...
Old 01-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool What fun

Quote:
It's been some time so I'm not sure any more, but I think the files were saved html pages from MS Office...
Ah ha! I've never before experienced the HTML generated from MS Office, but read lots of negative comments about it, I guess now I have! What fun.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Read here starting at 34 and go to 43.

Wow, I'd missed that.

I've posted links to fics at Archiveofourown several times and nobody's warned me. And I'd argue loudly if they did... AO3 is run by the OTW, which contends that most fanfiction is transformative, not derivative, and therefore covered under fair use laws, at least in the US.
Fair use favors uses that (1) are noncommercial and not sold for a profit; (2) are transformative, adding new meaning and messages to the original; (3) are limited, not copying the entirety of the original; and (4) do not substitute for the original work. None of these factors is absolutely necessary for fair use, but they all help, and we believe that fanworks like those in the archive easily qualify as fair uses based on all these factors.
The vast majority of fanfic fits all four of those criteria.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote